Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_Black

Interesting info I found of brer rabbit why can't Disney show some back bone and drop some facts on these sensitive people. African folklore is getting replaced by a European one talk about irony.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Brer-Rabbit

That's a bit of a disingenuous argument. It's African folklore as presented by a Caucasian folklorist. That's like saying Aladdin and Ali Baba are authentic Arabian Nights stories even though they were added by a French author.

LittleBuford

That's a bit of a disingenuous argument. It's African folklore as presented by a Caucasian folklorist. That's like saying Aladdin and Ali Baba are authentic Arabian Nights stories even though they were added by a French author.

I think the bigger issue is that any connection with African folklore (which is still arguably preserved in Harris’s retelling of the stories) is pretty much lost by the time you get to Splash Mountain, just as the Frozen and Little Mermaid attractions can hardly be said to preserve Hans Christian Andersen’s literary legacy.

Regarding Aladdin and Ali Baba, it’s likely those stories were told to Galland by Hanna Diyab (a Maronite) and are therefore of Middle Eastern origin, even if they don’t feature in the original 1001 Nights.

Smiley/OCD

But they have spoken out. Bob Iger (Disney CEO) has said, “I’ve felt, for as long as I’ve been CEO, that Song of the South – even with a disclaimer – was just not appropriate in today’s world. Given the depictions in some of those films, to bring them out today without some form or another, without offending people. So we’ve decided not to do that.”

And since Splash Mountain is directly based upon Song of the South and uses the principal cartoon characters from the film and uses direct quotes from Uncle Remus, it is obvious that the attraction too is not appropriate in today's world as well.

Frankly, I don't think TWDC wants to admit they were unwitting dupes in endorsing white supremacy.
I never said the folks at Disney...if you go back to my original post, I mentioned Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon...and the other voice over actors in the animated SM movie...I never said anyone from Disney corporate.

thomas998

So to you the historian has to be the same race of the people they are working to capture the folklore and history of... well if that's the way you see it we need to burn most every book about certain people of the world... That would be the majority of the American Indians earliest history since none even had a written language until around 1820... And tribes in South America should be erased from any history books... Of course then why stop at the race of the historian or author maybe we should eliminate anything that isn't written in the original language of the people.

Sorry but to take issue with someone putting on paper stories that were being passed down orally is just another reason the woke warrior's code is stupid.

orlandogal22

So to you the historian has to be the same race of the people they are working to capture the folklore and history of... well if that's the way you see it we need to burn most every book about certain people of the world... That would be the majority of the American Indians earliest history since none even had a written language until around 1820... And tribes in South America should be erased from any history books... Of course then why stop at the race of the historian or author maybe we should eliminate anything that isn't written in the original language of the people.

Sorry but to take issue with someone putting on paper stories that were being passed down orally is just another reason the woke warrior's code is stupid.

EXACTLY RIGHT.

Phil12

I never said the folks at Disney...if you go back to my original post, I mentioned Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon...and the other voice over actors in the animated SM movie...I never said anyone from Disney corporate.
Good point. Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon mostly likely don't need to air any of their dirty laundry this week so they decided to remain silent on the issue.

celluloid

But they have spoken out. Bob Iger (Disney CEO) has said, “I’ve felt, for as long as I’ve been CEO, that Song of the South – even with a disclaimer – was just not appropriate in today’s world. Given the depictions in some of those films, to bring them out today without some form or another, without offending people. So we’ve decided not to do that.”

And since Splash Mountain is directly based upon Song of the South and uses the principal cartoon characters from the film and uses direct quotes from Uncle Remus, it is obvious that the attraction too is not appropriate in today's world as well.

Frankly, I don't think TWDC wants to admit they were unwitting dupes in endorsing white supremacy.

They should stick up and directly say that is never what the company was endorsing.
If he he and they were willing to demonize the movie and by proxy the ride so much, than why is he standby this if they can still make money off it in any way in the mean time. He should just be honest and say they want something more relevant than Splash Mountain. Home videos have been avalible in plenty of other countries. It is clear it is where the money is, and nothing personal. He should just admit that.

celluloid

Uh-huh. Your point? Taco Bell has restaurants all over the world, I'd hesitate to call that "Mexican cuisine".

That does not make Taco Bell wrong. As much as I don't like the food, being inspired/influenced/immitation by and cheaply producing fast food is not evil nor racist. So even if Splash Mountain's version of what is inspired by is not authentic, it does not make it racist or wrong.

The same way Walt took the American folklore versions of Fairy Tales and composed them in a way now more famous than arguably any other, does not make it wrong.

LittleBuford

I think someone in the group started a Go Fund Me as well.

What is money being raised for exactly?

ETA: I found the answer myself:
This Go Fund Me campaign will serve 2 purposes:​

1) To show the Walt Disney World Company that people do not want Splash Mountain to change​

2) Donations will be used to get politicians and lobbying firms to persuade Disney that Splash Mountain should be kept as is.​

In other words, it’s a scam designed to make its originator a tidy sum ($5,000 to be exact). Thank goodness it’s only managed to raise $35 so far.

MickeyLuv'r

We'd also lose The Odyssey, The Iliad, Beowulf, and a good chunk of the Arthurian legends- just to name a few. Oh, and probably a number of the Disney princess fairytales too - like Cinderella.

Our first known written account of Cinderella was as a Chinese tale, then a Greek Tale, then a French tale, THEN it was a German tale....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom