Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

EricsBiscuit

My community just hit a spike in cases -- from 2 people that came back from Florida.

NYC had massive death, because the disease was spreading unchecked in February and early March, totally unaware, with no testing. So all that February and March spread turned into March and April deaths.

Florida does not look to get hit as hard as NY under any circumstance. Given there is significant testing, there is social distancing and masking. So Florida is highly unlikely to ever get to the point where NY got.
But... Florida is getting pretty bad. Having less death than NY isn't much of a prize, if you still have considerable death.

In NY, the 7-day rolling average for deaths is down to 31 per day. Based on current infection rates, that number should continue to decline over the next few weeks.
In Florida, the 7-day rolling average for deaths is now about 38 per day.
So NY is going in the right direction, Florida is going in the wrong direction.
It's extremely likely that Florida deaths climb to 100+ per day in the coming weeks. Could easily go to 300-500+ per day.
Unlikely to ever get to NY's 1,000-2,000+ per day, since no sustained uncontrolled spread like NYC. But still very significant dangerous numbers.
No. NY and a few other states have so many deaths because some genius decided to send COVID patients to nursing homes.

milordsloth

At the beginning of a pandemic where people were getting it who had no idea they had it because there was no testing for it until after it had already spread. At that point it was already out of control and took months to get control of due to a number of things.... until idiots decided it was ok to not follow guidelines and now here we are again. The people who are causing the spike this time did it out of sheer carelessness and idiocy as you put it. It's clear you're devoid of some things and not worth the time it takes to type anything further. I refuse to bother with people who clearly thrive off of the attention they feel they get from the comments they make and so I'm going to use my better judgment and ignore it.

Just to clarify, correct me if I'm wrong, the "idiocy" referenced by @WDW Pro in this instance was directed at sending covid-positive patients into nursing homes that didnt have any cases. That was pretty clearly a bad move.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
You have a regrettable view of your neighbors and fellow citizens. The reality is the virus is going to spread, was always going to spread, and all you can do is delay it at great economic cost. The US is still doing exceedingly well in deaths per million, and that's even with the northeast having killed 1/6 nursing home patients through sheer idiocy.

Its. Not. Over. By. A. Long. Shot.

Sparksfly

Just to clarify, correct me if I'm wrong, the "idiocy" referenced by @WDW Pro in this instance was directed at sending covid-positive patients into nursing homes that didnt have any cases. That was pretty clearly a bad move.

Nursing homes were one of the first to go under complete lockdown. Yes for whatever reason some were returned from hospitals but once they saw this mistake it was corrected. Again, it was a time where no one knew much about anything and were trying to get a hold of a dragon so to speak. While horrible, the deaths there were in a contained environment because they were not allowed to leave and no one was allowed to enter. It was horrible for the family members on the outside who would sit at the windows to see their loved ones knowing they would most likely not make it through the spread.

That's not why the spread and high death rate occured though, while it WAS a part of the problem (and I'm not downsizing how horrid it was), there were broader and far greater issues like the ones stated above that contributed to the initial spike. To pin it on one issue when we were all overwhelmed with a great number of issues those initial weeks is rather small minded if you ask me.

And the fact that were almost back to square one after months of seeing and dealing with this..and clearly not learning from it, is far more idiotic than anything that occured when we were still almost completely in the dark regarding this virus.

I'm going to back away from this thread because it's getting into territory I dont wish to partake in. Someone let me know when we start talking about covid in regards to Disney Worlds reopening again.

Truth is Florida (and other hot zone states), your numbers are spiking as we speak. Get it together and use common sense and decency so hopefully places like Disney can be safe again. Regardless if it opens on the 11th or not doesn't change what's going on in that state. An unsafe Florida is an unsafe Disney World. It's not hard to grasp, we can debate it and bring all the numbers in the world into it. If the state that Disney resides in is spiking like this the park is no longer safe to visit. Disney is going to have to grapple with that, and yes it's a hard thing to grapple. But grapple with it they must.

And for good measure...

Grapple.

Last edited:

havoc315

No. NY and a few other states have so many deaths because some genius decided to send COVID patients to nursing homes.

I know some people have chosen to look for political attacks as opposed to science.
I live by 1 of the NY hot zones. I know 6 people personally who died from Covid. None of them were in nursing homes. I also work with doctors who saw patients dropping every day, none of which were in nursing homes.
Most of the nursing home deaths were due to unchecked viral spread in February and early March.. when we didn’t even know the virus was here. By April/May, to keep hospital beds open for a surge, some Covid positive patients were returned to nursing homes. Probably a mistake in retrospect, but also not a major driver of death. (Untested staff bringing in Covid was a much bigger issue).

In total in NY, nursing home deaths have accounted for 21% of the total in the state. So the overwhelming majority of deaths in NYS had absolutely nothing to do with nursing homes. And of that 21%, most of those infections seeded in February and March, leading to March/April deaths.

EricsBiscuit

I know some people have chosen to look for political attacks as opposed to science.
I live by 1 of the NY hot zones. I know 6 people personally who died from Covid. None of them were in nursing homes. I also work with doctors who saw patients dropping every day, none of which were in nursing homes.
Most of the nursing home deaths were due to unchecked viral spread in February and early March.. when we didn’t even know the virus was here. By April/May, to keep hospital beds open for a surge, some Covid positive patients were returned to nursing homes. Probably a mistake in retrospect, but also not a major driver of death. (Untested staff bringing in Covid was a much bigger issue).

In total in NY, nursing home deaths have accounted for 21% of the total in the state. So the overwhelming majority of deaths in NYS had absolutely nothing to do with nursing homes. And of that 21%, most of those infections seeded in February and March, leading to March/April deaths.
And hospitals were not near capacity. They could have stayed in the hospitals and there still would have been plenty of open beds. It was a colossal mistake.

havoc315

And hospitals were not near capacity. They could have stayed in the hospitals and there still would have been plenty of open beds. It was a colossal mistake.

no question it was a mistake in retrospect. Also no question that it wasn’t that major driver of deaths in NY. This isn’t politics, pure stats, science and facts. It was a mistake, it was a mistake that maybe accounted for 0-5% of the deaths in NY, maybe even 10%. Every single death is horrible, so even a single death makes it a terrible mistake. But the fact is, the vast majority of deaths in NY had nothing to do with it.

NY was the canary in the coal mine. Overall, NY did exceptionally well under the circumstances, going in a short period from raging epidemic to really bringing the numbers down massively. But there is no question mistakes were made. Other states should learn from NY — learn from what NY did wrong, like the nursing homes. Learn from what NY did right - mandatory masks, contact tracing, and very slow re-opening per CDC guidelines.

EricsBiscuit

no question it was a mistake in retrospect. Also no question that it wasn’t that major driver of deaths in NY. This isn’t politics, pure stats, science and facts. It was a mistake, it was a mistake that maybe accounted for 0-5% of the deaths in NY, maybe even 10%. Every single death is horrible, so even a single death makes it a terrible mistake. But the fact is, the vast majority of deaths in NY had nothing to do with it.

NY was the canary in the coal mine. Overall, NY did exceptionally well under the circumstances, going in a short period from raging epidemic to really bringing the numbers down massively. But there is no question mistakes were made. Other states should learn from NY — learn from what NY did wrong, like the nursing homes. Learn from what NY did right - mandatory masks, contact tracing, and very slow re-opening per CDC guidelines.
It’s easy for new cases to decline when herd immunity is developing.

milordsloth

In the near future the list of companies in hospitality pulling back from opening plans is going to be bigger then the list of those going forward.

Which list do you think Disney wants to be on?

I vote on the side of opening responsibly to start generating revenue.

El Grupo

In response to the original question, “Do you think Disney will delay its opening...”, my guess is yes.

Schools in AZ, which is seeing a similar surge as FL, have already postponed the start of in-person classes for the Fall term. They have yet to determine whether to offer in-person classes at all (some areas have apparently already announced a heavy reliance on online learning for the upcoming school year).

I suspect we will see similar announcements from other states in the days ahead.

The landscape appears to have changed dramatically since Disney initially announced plans to reopen.

havoc315

It’s easy for new cases to decline when herd immunity is developing.

Masks, slow re-opening, social distancing, were the main drivers of decline. With 15-20% immunity, it’s a far way from herd immunity. At that rate, it would be a minor contributor at best.
We just had a big spike of cases in my town — because people weren’t cautious at a graduation. 1 person brought the disease back from Florida and spread it to at least 19 others. So no, not herd immunity. Caution keeps cases down. Drop the caution, cases rise.

Casper Gutman

Masks, slow re-opening, social distancing, were the main drivers of decline. With 15-20% immunity, it’s a far way from herd immunity. At that rate, it would be a minor contributor at best.
We just had a big spike of cases in my town — because people weren’t cautious at a graduation. 1 person brought the disease back from Florida and spread it to at least 19 others. So no, not herd immunity. Caution keeps cases down. Drop the caution, cases rise.
Talking about herd immunity at this point is a bit like talking about the aliens who will come down and give us the magic ointment of Galactiva that will cure all ailments. It is wishful thinking with little connection to reality. We don’t know if herd immunity will work, and even if it does, massive amounts of people will have to suffer to get it to work (or to find out that it doesn’t).

Look, the situation is hard, and it’s going to be hard for a while. Anyone trying to tell you otherwise is peddling nonsense, probably with ulterior motives. The only solution now is masks, distance, and overwhelming caution.

And, quite frankly, the Florida parks are being irresponsible. I criticize WDW and ballyhoo Uni a lot, but right now I am particularly incensed at Uni, specifically for forging ahead with HHN. A lot of people at every level of society are ignoring the obvious and trying to live by wishful thinking.

PS: The economy will not recover until the virus is gone, universally effective treatments are found, or a vaccine is developed. Pretending the virus and economy can be handled separately is perhaps the biggest delusion - or outright lie - circulating at the moment.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
NO. The Permission agreement is with the Governor and he does not want to unnecessarily harm the economy of Florida. He is being very careful and wise so far.
Thankfully It’s nothing to do with the Governor. He may not like it but TWDC can pull the plug on July 10. Or 9. Or 8.

It is unlikely and would hurt them immensely but it’s not outside the realm of possibility.

Heppenheimer

That’s ridiculous why wouldn’t they offer testing? Our government has said testing should be free for everyone so why can’t Disney figure out how to do this for the group of employees. I literally would be good with a price increase if it provided the needed testing for employees.
Other than EMTs and a handful of nurses working shifts at a first aid desk, does Disney have any health infrastructure at all to manage on-going employee testing?

DisneyCane

That’s ridiculous why wouldn’t they offer testing? Our government has said testing should be free for everyone so why can’t Disney figure out how to do this for the group of employees. I literally would be good with a price increase if it provided the needed testing for employees.
The employees can get tested elsewhere for free if they want. What good does it really do? It's not like the NBA where they are trying to create a bubble. You'd have to test them all daily to make any difference. Since guests aren't tested I'm not sure that helps either.

esskay

The employees can get tested elsewhere for free if they want. What good does it really do? It's not like the NBA where they are trying to create a bubble. You'd have to test them all daily to make any difference. Since guests aren't tested I'm not sure that helps either.

- It gives them an indication if theres a potentially park-closing outbreak taking place
- It reassures staff that the company they work for actually gives a damn about them
- It provides additional testing data (much needed)
- It's common sense, simple, affordable, and theres no reason not to do it even if it does have limited benefit

lilypgirl

If it makes them feel better than I think it should be done.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom