Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

BuzzedPotatoHead89

A few days ago I emailed Disneyland about the changes. I'm sure their system lets them see how many visits my email is tied to and helps them pick which script to use when responding.

This was my email-

This was their reply-

The corporate speak is exhausting but I think there are interesting nuggets in this, the most prominent being that they mention this having landed on this specific concept “last summer”. Interesting since last Summer Splash has celebrated its 30th anniversary.

I think we should have seen the signs since D23 was very heavily focused on Haunted Mansion’s 50th last year without barely any reference/fanfare for Splash’s 30th at all. I almost wonder if they may even had planned to announce this change at the parks panel at one point, but decided not to for fear of backlash/reaction.

For those who were at the 2017 parks panel, perhaps they avoided it thinking they didn’t want another “Pixar Pier“ lead balloon moment. Similarly in 2019, they might have feared the idea would likely have garnered a mixed reception (post an underwhelming Pixar Pier and an “incomplete” GE) and from a far more critical less woke audience.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
A few days ago I emailed Disneyland about the changes. I'm sure their system lets them see how many visits my email is tied to and helps them pick which script to use when responding.

This was my email-

This was their reply-

This is definitely scripted.

They love to invoke Walt’s name whenever they’re making a controversial change.

Figments Friend

Its that line about '..the new concept is inclusive – one that all of our guests can connect with and be inspired by...' ' that irks me the most.

WTFluff....

'Splash Mountain' has always been a enjoyable and fun experience that the majority of Guests have enjoyed immensely for the last 30 years.
It's singing animals and a lesson to be learned....plus a added scare / thrill.

Remember, we are talking about the Attraction experience, NOT the film.
Seperate the two, as they are two different entities.

'Splash Mountain' is fine just the way it is, and 'includes' everyone in its experience.
Charming critters, wonderful music, a exciting climax, beautiful setting...you name it.
Nobody is being 'excluded' from that ....unless they perceive it on another level that was never intended with the Attraction.
It's a masterpiece from my perspective, and the entire experience still inspires and entertains people 30 years later.

'If it ain't broke, don't fix it...' !

I am still flabbergasted that Disney is serious about doing this.....

-

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
My email to Disneyland:

I am a huge fan of Disney products and Disneyland. I have been since I was young and continued my fandom into my adulthood and made my now wife a fan. We even got married at Disneyland recently and Honeymooned at Walt Disney World.

Disneyland, although I adore it, has continued to make changes that alienate myself as well as many long time and even recent fans.

The overlays given to attractions such as California Screamin, Soarin Over California, and Tower of Terror has greatly decreased my enjoyment of California Adventure, despite me going into each overlay with an open mind.

With the recent announcement of an overlay being put on my favorite Disneyland attraction, my family is finally at the point where attendance as well as passholder membership is no longer worth it.

We hope Disneyland will make new rides instead of taking away ones we love.

You will most likely get the same automated response.

MatheusPG

Wow the creative imagineers decided on something that can sell more merchandise and they decided to announce it now since it can seem like a move "for the people" instead of a cash grab.

I despise when people quote Walt like that. "Walt said Disneyland will never be complete, that's why we're taking out something people enjoy and replacing it with movie previews, thanks!"

It's bad enough when Disney quotes it, worse when fans use it to excuse crappy attractions being announced.

Don't think your emails aren't noticed though, I continually emailed them in 2017 about discontinuing the socal pass and raising prices since the parks were so overcrowded and they did. I'd like to think part of that was cause of me.
Funny how people always use that Walt sentence so out of context... With the logic that they are pushing, Haunted Mansion, Pirates and Jungle Cruise should be removed even sooner than Splash Mountain. Why not close the Haunted Mansion? Shouldn´t the parks always be evolving? Why continue with a ride that is fifty years old? Let´s just replace it with a Doctor Strange attraction!

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
This was their reply

Thank you for contacting the Disneyland Resort as a frequent and dedicated Guest to our parks.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us about the recently announced changes to our Splash Mountain attraction. We would like to assure you that our goals for providing a happy and unique experience in our theme parks have remained constant throughout the years. One of the ways in which we attempt to maintain this goal is to continually evaluate the various aspects of our parks and make changes at times.

The theme for Splash Mountain has been a conversation among Imagineers for a while, and last summer, our Disney Imagineers landed on a concept that felt right – a new story inspired by The Princess and the Frog. While efforts were clearly under way, we decided the time to act was now. Particularly important today, the new concept is inclusive – one that all of our guests can connect with and be inspired by, and it speaks to the diversity of the millions of people who visit our parks each year.

Walt Disney embraced and encouraged change at the park and spoke about the need to “keep moving forward” down new paths, always with an eye toward enhancing and improving the guest experience. Keeping our stories relevant and providing more reasons to return is done in this same spirit – a philosophy embraced by Imagineers through the years, including Disney Legends Marty Sklar and Tony Baxter.

As diverse as the millions of visitors are who come to the Disneyland Resort each year, so are the reactions and opinions of our Guests, and it is always our goal to provide a show that appeals to all who visit. We hope that you will continue to follow the developments of the Disneyland Resort.

Embarrassing to be a Disney fan. I don’t think there’s ever been a moment where an eye-rolling emoji was needed more. So much cringe with the hip and trendy buzzwords to try to make us all feel bad for pointing out how dumb this decision is. I want to punch this response.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I guess we could count how many clicks the Splash Mountain turnstiles got in the last 30 years. Or how about just last year. Is the 300,000 clicks a week fair?

Nice try

I'm not saying people don't like Splash. You're confusing liking the ride with wanting it to change. Quite a few people on these boards have professed their fondness for SM, but they are either totally on board for the change, or, they reluctantly understand why it needs to change.

You're saying only a minority would want it to be changed. You provide no evidence that it's only a minority.

el_super

I guess we could count how many clicks the Splash Mountain turnstiles got in the last 30 years. Or how about just last year. Is 300,000 clicks a week fair?

Nice try

Yeah, this isn't a contradiction. You can enjoy Splash Mountain for what it is, and even enjoy Song of the South, and still understand that a change is needed.

And how many people in 30 years could have changed their mind?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Not to mention how many people scroll through their Instagram feeds, see "Disney" and just mindlessly double-tap.

Wow. Pretty desperate to avoid real numbers, are we?

So... if everyone is mindlessly double tapping, then all the posts to the Instagram should have the same about of likes, right?

Here's a pretty, colorful image from a month ago:

And here's the PatF announcement:

But, go ahead, just surmise they're just double-taps without first checking, and hope reality checks out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom