Any chance this Splash Mountain retheme is cancelled?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Sorry @mickEblu there is 0% chance of this getting cancelled, I don't want to give you any sort of false hope. They are promoting it now right when you open both the Disneyland and WDW Apps. So EVERYONE is going to know about it no matter whether they are a hardcore fan or just a lay person planning a trip for the first time. This is happening, and short of TWDC going out of business permanently or they sell off PEP this will be completed I have a feeling within the next 24 months (or as quick as possible). I suspect both will go down Spring 2021 so its underway for that huge Parks presentation at D23. Anyways just my thoughts.

smooch

After all, they timed the announcement of the project so that if you so much as utter any disagreements with the project, you can be labeled all kinds of horrible things, even though less than a year ago, they were telling everyone how beloved and heart warming the attraction is and selling merch to celebrate it's 30th anniversary.

When I went on Twitter the day of / after the announcement it was honestly baffling to me to see how so many people demonize you if you disagree with any of their opinions. I saw someone make a claim that although yes SotS is a very offensive movie, Disney should have kept Splash and given PatF an entire brand new ride rather than just a shoehorned retheme of an existing ride and I saw literally hundreds of people call that person a racist, say that they are part of the problem with racism affecting our country, and in general that they are a disgusting person. Just because they said they would prefer to keep Splash while acknowledging it's troubled source material is problematic and that Tiana should get her own unique original ride to give her the space in the park she deserves. It's crazy to me. I understand there are genuine problems with racism in the world and in this country, but this seems so trivial and shallow to argue about it over a theme park ride rather than something like the actual protests going on for the BLM movement. People just seem to love to have the "with me or against me" attitude and it's truly disgusting, nobody can even talk to someone they disagree with anymore they just label the other as an evil gross person who should be condemned and "cancelled" rather than trying to have a discussion with them about the topic.

Aside from all that, I believe there is an absolutely microscopic chance of the retheme being cancelled. I've seen a lot of people saddened by the news of the retheme, but the Twitter mob has been over the moon happy that "their petition worked" and that Disney is listening to them. Especially the timing with everything going on (both the petition a week or two before, as well as the protesting for BLM) I could see them cancelling the retheme sparking massive massive outrage and honestly could see Twitter calling Disney racist for cancelling the retheme to a ride with the first African American princess to keep a ride based on a racist movie. Even if the reasoning was completely justified like Disney having to put a massive hold on theme park projects due to all the lost revenue as well as all the other expensive construction and projects going on in all the theme parks around the world. I understand the frustration that would come from this crowd and it would honestly be kinda justified to an extent in my opinion from that perspective, but like I said it's such a complex system that a retheme cancellation could be caused by too many things rather than "we don't want to anymore." I think Disney knows at this point they can't back out from this retheme without a massive controversy which would lead to boycotting of the parks / products and thus a massive loss in revenue.

Brer Panther

On the one hand, if Disney weren't so incredibly cowardly they wouldn't have announced this in the first place.

On the other hand, didn't protests save Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln and the Magic Kingdom's Carousel of Progress at some point?

EPCOTCenterLover

When I went on Twitter the day of / after the announcement it was honestly baffling to me to see how so many people demonize you if you disagree with any of their opinions. I saw someone make a claim that although yes SotS is a very offensive movie, Disney should have kept Splash and given PatF an entire brand new ride rather than just a shoehorned retheme of an existing ride and I saw literally hundreds of people call that person a racist, say that they are part of the problem with racism affecting our country, and in general that they are a disgusting person. Just because they said they would prefer to keep Splash while acknowledging it's troubled source material is problematic and that Tiana should get her own unique original ride to give her the space in the park she deserves. It's crazy to me. I understand there are genuine problems with racism in the world and in this country, but this seems so trivial and shallow to argue about it over a theme park ride rather than something like the actual protests going on for the BLM movement. People just seem to love to have the "with me or against me" attitude and it's truly disgusting, nobody can even talk to someone they disagree with anymore they just label the other as an evil gross person who should be condemned and "cancelled" rather than trying to have a discussion with them about the topic.

Aside from all that, I believe there is an absolutely microscopic chance of the retheme being cancelled. I've seen a lot of people saddened by the news of the retheme, but the Twitter mob has been over the moon happy that "their petition worked" and that Disney is listening to them. Especially the timing with everything going on (both the petition a week or two before, as well as the protesting for BLM) I could see them cancelling the retheme sparking massive massive outrage and honestly could see Twitter calling Disney racist for cancelling the retheme to a ride with the first African American princess to keep a ride based on a racist movie. Even if the reasoning was completely justified like Disney having to put a massive hold on theme park projects due to all the lost revenue as well as all the other expensive construction and projects going on in all the theme parks around the world. I understand the frustration that would come from this crowd and it would honestly be kinda justified to an extent in my opinion from that perspective, but like I said it's such a complex system that a retheme cancellation could be caused by too many things rather than "we don't want to anymore." I think Disney knows at this point they can't back out from this retheme without a massive controversy which would lead to boycotting of the parks / products and thus a massive loss in revenue.
Ah, the internet! Where people say things in a manner they’d never have the guts to say in person.

Phroobar

The reason for it is our primitive fight or flight instinct. At one point it was used all the time. We were put in situations where an animal or a stronger person is going to attack us. We decide to either fight the animal/person or run away. Since that doesn't happen anymore, we apply it to arguing on the internet. If you don't agree with me, you must be my enemy. Therefore, I'm going to fight against anything you say even if it is completely irrational. It is an instinct some people can't get over or control very well. It is easier to control with maturity.

Rich T

I agree about the age. 30 years is way too long for an attraction to be around without a thematic overhaul to make it relevant to modern audiences.

So when is Mansion getting closed? Jungle? Tiki Room?
Come on, you know every attraction has a unique position. Mansion is not based on Disney’s biggest cultural embarrassment of a film. Tiki Room will probably, understandably, have some of its original vocals redone to remove some of the cringy product-of-its-time hispanic stereotyping. And Jungle Cruise for sure will have its long-unwelcome native scenes replaced with something that’s actually good. (Well, it could be replaced by something stupid—as with Pirates—but I’m trying hard to be optimistic).

Last edited:

Rich T

On the one hand, if Disney weren't so incredibly cowardly they wouldn't have announced this in the first place.

On the other hand, didn't protests save Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln and the Magic Kingdom's Carousel of Progress at some point?
Not really comparable. CoP snd Lincoln are not based on a movie Disney really wishes they’d never made.

Last edited:

Rich T

Even though I agree with the retheme, Twitter is awful: a paradise for people who love to speak and judge without any knowledge of what they’re talking about (refraining with great restraint from mentioning a certain famous someone). That’s why I only use Twitter to post Animal Crossing screenshots so I can copy and message them to my family. Then I get the heck out of online LaLa Land.

John park hopper

Twitter is a hive mind and super toxic. You have to agree with everyone else or you are the bad guy. Stay away from social media, it is very refreshing.

I love the comments here and on Disney Parks Blog as it is more reflective of what people actually think (as you can't attack individuals unlike twitter)

There is no intelligent debate on twitter you either agree with the mob mentality or you are shouted down and demonized by name calling when they can't intelligently refute your argument.

el_super

Aside from all that, I believe there is an absolutely microscopic chance of the retheme being cancelled. I've seen a lot of people saddened by the news of the retheme, but the Twitter mob has been over the moon happy

I think it's a mistake to think that these corporate decisions are being made based solely on the feelings of Twitter users. We've seen other movements within the fan community that were completely ignored, so it goes to reason that if they are reaching out and gathering feedback, it's from a wider range of people than we can readily see. Disney has an obligation not just to the people who come to visit them, or spend their money on Disney for entertainment. They also have an obligation to be a good employer to their Cast Members and a good neighbor to the communities they call home.

Due to the free market, I think that Disney is still bound to act in the best interest of the majority. That being said, I think it's clear to see that Disney, either via Iger or the Board of Directors as a whole, have acted on their own beliefs. Assuming that is the case here, I don't think any minor Twitter outrage over closing Splash will change Iger's mind on race relations in the US.

I disagree. I think it actually took a great deal of courage to announced such a major sweeping change, solely for the purpose of making members of the community feel more included.

Also: Lincoln has been removed at least twice. Maybe three times if you don't want to count the 3D sound experience. Depending on how this shutdown goes, it might be four times. Point being: none of the petitions to save Lincoln ever really worked.

PiratesMansion

I wish the Mob found Star Wars, Marvel and Pixar Pier racist.

I've never understood the Star Wars obsession, but then I only saw New Hope back when they were re-releasing the older ones in 97 and it left no impression on me. Part of me wants to give it another chance; part of me has seen and heard enough Star Wars in my lifetime through osmosis that I never want to touch it because I'm that tired of hearing about it.

I liked 2 of the 3 the Marvel movies I've seen, but I resent how so much of what is made today is straight superhero movies, or at least that's what it feels like, and that's tiring too. Most of the Marvel attractions Disney has built feel more like Universal rides and don't fit the parks at all.

Pixar Pier is bizarrely the most offensive thing to me that Disney did of the past decade, and I say that as someone who was upset about TOT (but for whom MB is begrudgingly growing on me) and considers SOC a classic must-do and SOTW straight up trash.

It'd be nice if Disney was content leaving their parks to Disney-based and/or original concepts instead of seemingly going out of their way to be most everything else, you know? I don't care that they own those highly lucrative brands and that Star Wars had a presence in the park long before they owned it, it's frustrating.

Going to the parks now is like:
Disney: DON'T YOU LOVE AND WANT MORE OF THIS BRAND?
Me: No, I want originals and Disney stuff, if there must be IP everywhere.
Disney: Oh, so you want Pixar? STAR WARS??? mArVeL?!?!??!? Oh, I know: TOY STORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom