News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Also, regarding the area, it seems more likely they'd sell beignets from a cart instead of creating an entire restaurant to Louisiana food. Pecos Bill tex mex is way more approachable and sells better than Louisiana food in a heavy traffic theme park. The trout almondine, smoked sausage jambalaya, garlic butter charbroiled oysters, seafood gumbo, barbeque shrimp, etc would be better served at a table service restaurant.
The answer is simple -- fill in Rivers of America and build a joint-kitchened Tiana's/Haunted Mansion restaurant complex in the footprint.

aladdin2007

It will be a shame to re-theme the Briar Patch store. It's so detailed and cozy and one of my favorite places to escape the heat for a few minutes.

agree, although lately its been nothing but a toddler store and where everyone camps out (for some reason why I dont understand its being allowed) on the floor and sitting on product shelves.......aside from that I agree about the cozy and details, I really hope they dont make it bland generic like they have been doing in the stores at the studios.

UNCgolf

It will be a shame to re-theme the Briar Patch store. It's so detailed and cozy and one of my favorite places to escape the heat for a few minutes.

I would expect one of two things to happen -- either the detail work of the roots etc. remains completely untouched because they don't want to spend the money to alter it, or it turns into a relatively empty box with very little theming (ala the current World of Disney store or some of the stuff in Hollywood Studios).

Well, or it's closed entirely, but I don't think they'll give up a chance to sell you something.

Captain Neo

So if it takes place after the film, you’d have...
No Facilier
No Ray
No frog Naveen and Tiana

Unless they were to come up with some convoluted way to make those appearances make sense.

Did they really think this through?

It’s either going to be

1) Facillier returns! and curses tiana back into a frog so we can go through the story again!

2) Tiana asks Louise and his animal friends to get ready for a big Mardi Grass Party by having them rehearse and sing songs from the film. Along the way something goes wrong but post-drop everyone is ready for the big party!

where’s my imagineering consulting fee?

imagineer97

In the Parks
No
Splash is a complete attraction, and arguably one of Disney's best ever.

Princess and the Frog bombed in 2009, and the theme is a turn off to boys looking for a thrill ride.

Smells like another Disney forced SJW disappointment in the making.
And with a slashed budget by the end, no doubt.

MerlinTheGoat

Sometimes I genuinely don’t know if you all have forgotten about that one attraction that opened 6 months ago.
Star Wars? I'm a huge fan of the franchise and think it had and still could have enormous potential to be an amazing themed environment in the proper hands and with the right execution and environments/characters. But I found the majority of the entire land and its rides largely a massive disappointment.

ROTR in particular feels ridiculously dull, sterile and empty to me. The decision to contain to to an imperial-looking spaceship I believe was a huge mistake. There are lots of fantastic locations and character designs in the Star Wars franchise (something the prequels in particular excelled at in spite of their shortcomings in other areas). The insides of Star Wars spaceships in general are some of the least visually interesting parts. They can work in the context of a movie narrative (for showcasing an oppressive technological and villainous atmosphere or as a setting for lightsaber duels), but even then only when properly evened out and offset with much more interesting and organic environments and characters. Of all the locations from the SW movies, these sterile imperial type environments were not among the locations I was interested in actually visiting. Not to mention I was hoping to see tons of animatronic figures for the many fantastical alien designs the franchise is known for. Then again, that would require a quantity of animatronics that hasn't been allowed in new attractions for decades.

None of the scenery comes close to this-
splash-mountain-gallery04.jpg

And while I still prefer Splash Mtn by a considerable margin to ANY ride created in the US since, I do think RSR and Cars Land are quite great in their own right. Infinitely better Star Wars Land. I also think Pandora is much better than SW GE (though it's more a comment on Pandora as a land, the main E ticket simulator was extremely disappointing and I actually preferred Navi River, which has its shortcomings as well).

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

I could see Mr. Bluebird staying as a tribute in the revised ride.

Of the 5 characters actually from SotS, one would think he is the least offensive.

Homemade Imagineering

I could see Mr. Bluebird staying as a tribute in the revised ride.

Of the 5 characters actually from SotS, one would think he is the least offensive.
thinking about it more, I don’t know how they could get rid of the animatronics on the showboat. I mean, there’s nothing else to fill the space with besides new animatronics, so really if they remove the animatronics from the showboat it’ll just make them look super cheap. I’d imagine they’ll add a Tiana AA and Naveen AA waving at the guests among the current AAs on the showboat

lazyboy97o

thinking about it more, I don’t know how they could get rid of the animatronics on the showboat. I mean, there’s nothing else to fill the space with besides new animatronics, so really if they remove the animatronics from the showboat it’ll just make them look super cheap. I’d imagine they’ll add a Tiana AA and Naveen AA waving at the guests among the current AAs on the showboat
That assumes the boat is staying.

Animaniac93-98

Most of the figures and visuals featured in the ride are not from SotS, which means in theory they could all still be included.

However, there's no guarantee that most or any will stay.

MerlinTheGoat

Most of the figures and visuals featured in the ride are not from SotS, which means in theory they could all still be included.

However, there's no guarantee that most or any will stay.
The figures from America Sings already had designs that made most of them blend in naturally with SotS characters. Similarly, it would be possible to reuse them (some only needing a change of clothing, not even reskinned) as background characters for, say, a Robin Hood ride. Or the Isle of Naboombu from Bedknobs and Broomsticks. Again similarly exaggerated anthropomorphic character shapes.

Princess and the Frog's animal designs are completely different. The animals are much more realistically sized and shaped. Even when Tiana and Naveen are transformed into frogs, they're extremely tiny and look nothing like any of the frog figures used in Splash Mtn. The birds used in PATF are also smaller and based on more realistic animal designs (still cartoony, but no longer really anthropomorphic). The only animal in the movie that really bucks this trend is Louis (fireflies are probably too tiny to count and likely won't be animatronics anyways). And they even essentially give a plot explanation for why, he learned to stand and walk in a bipedal position because he wants to be a human and play the trumpet with other human jazz musicians (other humans even mistake him for a person wearing a costume while he's upright). Even still, he's about the right size of a real alligator and he's recognized as such when he gets on all fours to scare everyone. As I said, it might be possible to reuse parts from a Brer Bear figure for Louis.

However, it would look quite ridiculous for Tiana and Naveen to be on a riverboat surrounded by 4-5 foot tall bipedal chickens and pigs (or the dogs and cats exclusive to Disneyland's version).

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

I heard a possible proposed budget. I'm very likely not supposed to share it (a handful of other people here including @Animaniac93-98 and @the.dreamfinder etc probably know this by now as well). And it could always change. Hopefully so, though I more hope this project is thrown in the trash outright. But if it remains relatively accurate by final approval (or somehow manages to get even worse), then be very afraid because its far worse than even I was expecting.

Last edited:

Homemade Imagineering

I heard a possible proposed budget. I'm very likely not supposed to share it (a handful of other people here including @Animaniac93-98 and @the.dreamfinder etc probably know this by now as well). And it could always change. Hopefully so, though I more hope this project is thrown in the trash outright. But if it remains relatively accurate by final approval (or somehow manages to get even worse), then be very afraid because its far worse than even I was expecting.
Wow, this is worrisome. I don’t think Disney will stoop to the lowest level like they did with the incredicoaster, so I really hope they don’t fabricate a bunch of fiberglass statues of the characters like they did for the incredicoaster. This also worries me about animatronic removal, since I’d assume they would remove a handful to save maintenance costs😕

Sir_Cliff

That assumes the boat is staying.
I also imagine Disney sees this as an opportunity to lessen the burden of maintaining all those audio-animatronic figures. I doubt they'll be trying to keep as many as possible, but rather seeing what scenery and effects they can put in to replace them.

As for the possibility of a New Orleans Square-style new land, I also can't imagine the budget extends that far or that they would see it as worthwhile. I do think they will have to re-theme the buildings around the queue in the area behind the railway station. Kind of a shame, to be honest, as I like the theming and the music around that part of the park.

Last edited:

InnKpr

I don’t think Disney will stoop to the lowest level like they did with the incredicoaster, so I really hope they don’t fabricate a bunch of fiberglass statues of the characters like they did for the incredicoaster.
I agree the characters look cheap, but sadly enough, that's still considered an "upgrade" from the former California Screamin' theme of track & beams.
I've always argued that creating a land themed to carnivals & piers was a terrible idea for Disney's standards from the get-go, making it hard to level up to theming/ambiance we expect from the Mouse, even when upgrades are added.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom