Any chance this Splash Mountain retheme is cancelled?

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Well is the “dislike” button available there?
The dislike button is not pressing the like button. Look, I'm with you that the change is a dumb idea but at this point, Disney was looking for a reason to justify doing it, not a reason to justify not doing it.

Unless people speak with their wallets and stop going creating a massive decrease in revenue that makes them think twice, which by the way isn't going to happen, then I'm pretty sure it is here to stay.

No Name

- The Negative Socio- Cultural impact from this decision.

Even pretending that’s true, the backlash they’d get from cancelling the announced attraction, and the backlash they’d get from leaving a ride they’ve now popularized as problematic, makes it essentially impossible for them to go back on this decision. Even if they wanted to build a brand new E-ticket attraction for PatF instead, which they don't have the money or desire to do, they’d still have the now-amplified problem of leaving the current ride open. Sorry to destroy your hopes, Splash is/was my favorite too, but I think there’s a better chance of just about anything happening than this being cancelled.

I think they are ****ing off s lot of their fan base with this move.

People including myself have thought that so many times over the past few years and they’ve been doing fine. Frozen Ever After was essentially the first controversial retheme in the internet age and they tiptoed very carefully on the announcement. But each success has made them only more confident, and at this point, I imagine they have very little concern for what some folks here think.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

I see three logical arguments why it wouldn’t happen (all combined with under 5% of happening). If anything these would “delay” more than “cancel”.

1. COVID-19 leading to massive cuts/overlays impacting imagineering projects. Assuming this project is not yet fully developed. We have precedent here at WDW with the indefinite delay of the Spaceship earth project, Main Street theater, and “Genie” app among others. Westcot and Galaxy’s edge entertainment also come to mind.

2. “PC problems” from Randy Newman’s history to critisms from some on social media of “tokenization” of Splash. This is in my opinion an extreme argument but I wouldn’t doubt it if modern Disney would give this equal credibility to those arguing in favor of keeping Splash. The problem with this line of reasoning is it might just lead to the mothballing of Splash Mountain (And others) altogether until the funds are available for a purpose built attraction, which IMO is even worse. But it’s a calculated risk for those aligning themselves with this argument in hopes of preserving the original Splash.

3. Concerns about “target market” - again Splash is a water ride with large drops not necessarily suited for aexpanded target audience to include young girls. This seems unlikely to sway any opinion, as I’m sure this argument has been vetted though before the DPB announcement.

In my opinion I’d prefer not to indefinitely delay this in the event I think Disney has long given up on Splash Mountain in its current iteration. Though I’d hope/think WDI would at least want to keep both versions operational through Summer/Fall of 2021 assuming there is still a D23 in Anaheim next summer and the 50th at WDW as a “swan song”.

I also would like to see this project completed under the “advisement” of senior imagineering statesman like Tony Baxter in hopes that elements of the original can be tactfully retained. But I do understand these concerns.

Animaniac93-98

It's entirely possible. In the span of about 90 days earlier this year Disney announced the closing of Spaceship Earth for a major refurb, only to then say it's cancelled.

Disney's biggest mistake, though, was giving this project its own specific announcement instead of a broader vague statement that they're "reviewing attractions and ideas to bring diversity to Disney parks". It will make it harder to pull back.

The easiest out for Disney would be announcing an entirely new ride for PatF and saying they're donating x % of ticket/merch sales to help various causes.

No Name

It's entirely possible. In the span of about 90 days earlier this year Disney announced the closing of Spaceship Earth for a major refurb, only to then say it's cancelled.

The Spaceship Earth announcement was before coronavirus, didn’t make mainstream news, and wasn’t promoting any social implications. This Splash announcement is completely different and will happen.

What exactly were they going to do to the Epcot Golf Ball?
Make it less dated. I think it would’ve been good.

mickEblu

Original Poster
No. Simply put— No.

The social media (and mainstream news media) backlash from a cancellation of this announced change would dwarf any other negative press Disney has ever experienced.

I see where you re coming from although I don't remember the parks blog actually making any correlation to the BLM movement etc. Of course they didn't have to and the timing said it all but still.

Rich T

I've literally known people who fought for the Mission Breakout change and publically admitted they haven't been to Disneyland since middle school.

I imagine it's the same concept here except amplified because 2020.
I’m sorry... How does one “fight” for a done-deal Mission Breakout change? Ya mean they posted a pro MB opinion after the project was announced?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom