Union Performances Not Returning

Lilofan

Gotcha. I know some Florida based equity actors who are not ready to go back yet due to the rising case numbers.

I’ve been trying to find out if equity has approved any performers to go back to rehearsals and perform again nationwide. I haven’t seen any official sources that say either way.
Might be challenging for them if the equity actors continue to sit out. The Florida eviction ban ends July 1 and the $600 a week stimulus check ends in July.

TrojanUSC

I am sure many of the "actors" were involved in non-social distancing protests. Such hypocrisy.

Not sure where your hostility is coming from or why you felt the need to put actors in quotes when they are, by definition, actors.

Should also be important to note that the protests have not led to increased spikes in the places where they were the largest (MN, NY, etc). It seems to be far more correlated to places where people are spending a lot of time inside in air conditioned environments (bars, restaurants, etc).

kurtk

As far as I have heard, Disney won't approve one fairly minor thing. Disney wants the performers to be the only employees in the parks to not have masks, meaning they risk spreading Covid to one another. Equity asked Disney to test all performers once a week in order to prevent large outbreaks, and Disney refused. I, personally, think that is a very reasonable request by the union if Disney expects performers to work with no masks in close proximity.
I agree this seems like a very reasonable request. Disney seems to be trying to do the right thing with Covid so I would be really curious to hear their side of the story.
Were they at least planning on doing temperature checks on the performers each day?

Giss Neric

Not exactly union workers but these castmembers looked happy they are back to work

celluloid

Not exactly union workers but these castmembers looked happy they are back to work

They could be Union Workers. There are different Unions.

Interesting that Hollywood Studios was just getting to be a park with a good amount of things to do again. A wonkly time as it is, but take away Beauty and The Beast, Voyage of The Little Mermaid, Fantasmic and Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular(and I am presuming others) and you have quite a shallow park. No wonder attendance was booked up fast.

TrainsOfDisney

They could be Union Workers. There are different Unions.

Interesting that Hollywood Studios was just getting to be a park with a good amount of things to do again. A wonkly time as it is, but take away Beauty and The Beast, Voyage of The Little Mermaid, Fantasmic and Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular(and I am presuming others) and you have quite a shallow park. No wonder attendance was booked up fast.

Frozen singalong as well which, even if you don’t visit Disney for the frozen sing along, eats up a theatre full of guests at least 8 times a day.

Mainahman

I'm not crying... You're crying!

mastromjm

In the Parks
Yes
Am I right in saying a lot of equity positions have been cut over recent years? Given recent history, personally I wouldn't be surprised if a number of them don't return. Hoping my hunch is wrong, for sure - got a decent number of friends in the union who are struggling right now.

Mainahman

Am I right in saying a lot of equity positions have been cut over recent years? Given recent history, personally I wouldn't be surprised if a number of them don't return. Hoping my hunch is wrong, for sure - got a decent number of friends in the union who are struggling right now.
You think cut completely, or replaced with non union talent for likely less money?

celluloid

Frozen singalong as well which, even if you don’t visit Disney for the frozen sing along, eats up a theatre full of guests at least 8 times a day.

It is going to be potentially very ugly with rides not operating far from average efficiency, no live performance shows, which is a majority in that park, and no met and greets with everyone virtual queing outdoors in the heat and lightning storms hoping to find shelter in the stores that are mostly boutique for a theme park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom