Trip Report Well, I guess this is happening... July 12-28 Trip Report - Pre, Live, and Post

Hello and welcome to another Brifraz trip report. If you traveled with us before you know how it usually works - a brief pre-trip outline of plans, lots of live trip reporting, then after the trip some poorly completed scattered posts to try to wrap things up. Well, I'm doing a legit pre-trip this time. Why? Because there are some issues right now. Maybe you didn't realize that?

Which means I'm going to lead off this thread by opening it up to the debate. It's my thraed and I'm okay with that. A little debate will keep things lively - now I'm not talking about something like the thousand plus pages of debate on the mask/precautions/COVID threads, but a little discussion is totally fine and all opinions are welcome. Now, let me be clear I'm not asking I 'what you would do?' But, after reading things below, I welcome opinions on 'what do you think we would or should do.'

Obviously, you can't get into those kinds of discussions without knowing who we are and what we are all about. Here goes. Feel free to steal our identities if you need to.
6e44e73a-9723-4362-bef0-4b69fa60a0c5.JPG

Our crew is a trio. Two nearly-50 year old adults and a 16 year old rising senior in High School. The two adults are high school teachers and have been since the 1990s. Obviously that means our only potential vacation times are summer and Christmas. Two teacher salaries have by no means made us rich, but we prioritize travel. We feel it 'broadens the mind' even if it is somewhere we've been before - always trying new experiences and interacting with new people (heck, we've driven across the USA 3 times and Canada once). You can see in my signature, we head to WDW often and try very hard to make each trip unique in different ways. We had trips in December (with extended family) and January (as leader of over 100 high school kids plus families) and were planning a summer totally away from the World. We had a vague plan to travel to Europe for a few weeks driving through multiple countries. It was going to be the last big family trip before our daughter goes to college. But we just couldn't afford it - there was just no way to make it work. Since we are DVC and have some family-owned timeshare, we can stay at WDW (or that area) for pretty much nothing more than our expected annual fees and we drive from Maryland, so transportation is pretty cheap. Airfare and hotels around Europe was cost prohibitive. Our daughter already has a senior Disney trip planned with friends for next summer and we were possibly doing a couple trip as well, so buying an AP for late this summer through early next summer is also an expense that we expected (although we didn't expect it until next year). Thus, some time in late January, we decided that we would do some smaller trips (including college visits) around the country and then spend a week at WDW.

Sadly, the smaller trips are pretty much all gone due to the current health crisis. But our WDW trip is not until mid-July, so it might still be happening. Health-wise we are all in pretty good shape. Sure, we've got the usual little things that tend to happen as you get close to 50, but nothing that makes our immune systems compromised and certainly nothing that puts us in a higher risk group. As a pair of high school teachers, we get exposed to pretty much every bug that shows up in our communities and in general we weather things pretty successfully. Our daughter currently works at the local grocery store which similarly puts her 'in harm's way' on a regular basis. While the concern over the coronavirus is certainly in our minds, we also are used to taking precautions and have very little innate fear of getting sick. We also have no problem wearing masks or taking other preventative measures if we are traveling.

Why would we even consider still heading to WDW? Well, just like everyone, the past couple months have been tough for us (obviously, far less difficult than for many). We have been relearning how to do our jobs, we've had to cancel 11 major shows/performances (we both teach performing arts), and we're facing the prospect of our jobs/roles changing dramatically in a few months. Our daughter has (again, obviously) missed out on a number of usual things for HS Juniors and is quite concerned about the prospect of her Senior year being very altered. The stress and uncertainty of these things makes the idea of ANY kind of escapism very appealing - even if it is limited and changed from our usual expectations.

There's a little background on us and some elements of where we are coming from with this (possible) trip. For the sake of discussion, let's assume that WDW will be relatively fully open by mid-July, but with significant precautionary measures in place. I'll be back soon with some of our thoughts on the trip and what we might or might not be planning and doing if it happens.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
We didn't. Maybe I should call. Hmmmmm. I just figured we could make the reservations starting Monday morning.

I'll let you know what we hear. Been on hold 1:15 now. Hopefully we will get some kind of an answer from them. My wife was figuring that we would be good to go, but I've got a little paranoia streak that was starting to speak up...

RememberWhen

I'll let you know what we hear. Been on hold 1:15 now. Hopefully we will get some kind of an answer from them. My wife was figuring that we would be good to go, but I've got a little paranoia streak that was starting to speak up...
So weird. I did get the email, but our tickets are blocked out during our stay. Disney IT...

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
We didn't. Maybe I should call. Hmmmmm. I just figured we could make the reservations starting Monday morning.
So weird. I did get the email, but our tickets are blocked out during our stay. Disney IT...

So, after about 1:30 of hold time, we got through and got some answers. Granted, the rep did say that things are still somewhat in flux and he was a little wary of saying that anything was definitive at all.

First off - not a problem that if you didn't get the email. So long as the Annual Passes are linked to the account and show up in MDE, we should be fine for getting Park Passes on Monday, assuming that the resort reservation is also linked. We have a split stay at SSR and then OKW (which itself is actually two stays) and he had to check with a few people to make sure that we would be able to book parks for all the days of the multiple reservations and the answer was... IF you have Resort reservations, you can book a park for every day of your resort stay up to 14 days maximum - even if it is multiple reservations. We technically have 17 days that we will be onsite, but would only be able to book 14 of those for parks. There was also some question if we would then be allowed to book 3 days as AP holders beyond the 14 days linked to the resort stay and he didn't feel confident about that as a possibility, seemed pretty certain that you could only have 14 days maximum no matter what.

Not a concern for us, but it was noted that if people on the Resort reservation have different types of tickets (some with AP, some without) the system may not allow for all the people to book at the same time - that AP Park passes have to get booked separate from non-AP Park passes. Interesting...

Also, evidently there was another email about a 'special' AP magnet this summer that we didn't get!

And, it appears that currently all Park pass booking will be done online, not through the APP. The APP will link to the website and then you will book there. I know that doesn't really make a difference with things, but it will mean that we do our booking on computer and iPad as opposed to on our phones.

I think that covers everything we were told. Knowing their track record with online systems and the APP, etc. I'm still quite a bit wary, but at least the paranoia about the APs not being activated has somewhat subsided.

RememberWhen

So, after about 1:30 of hold time, we got through and got some answers. Granted, the rep did say that things are still somewhat in flux and he was a little wary of saying that anything was definitive at all.

First off - not a problem that if you didn't get the email. So long as the Annual Passes are linked to the account and show up in MDE, we should be fine for getting Park Passes on Monday, assuming that the resort reservation is also linked. We have a split stay at SSR and then OKW (which itself is actually two stays) and he had to check with a few people to make sure that we would be able to book parks for all the days of the multiple reservations and the answer was... IF you have Resort reservations, you can book a park for every day of your resort stay up to 14 days maximum - even if it is multiple reservations. We technically have 17 days that we will be onsite, but would only be able to book 14 of those for parks. There was also some question if we would then be allowed to book 3 days as AP holders beyond the 14 days linked to the resort stay and he didn't feel confident about that as a possibility, seemed pretty certain that you could only have 14 days maximum no matter what.

Not a concern for us, but it was noted that if people on the Resort reservation have different types of tickets (some with AP, some without) the system may not allow for all the people to book at the same time - that AP Park passes have to get booked separate from non-AP Park passes. Interesting...

Also, evidently there was another email about a 'special' AP magnet this summer that we didn't get!

And, it appears that currently all Park pass booking will be done online, not through the APP. The APP will link to the website and then you will book there. I know that doesn't really make a difference with things, but it will mean that we do our booking on computer and iPad as opposed to on our phones.

I think that covers everything we were told. Knowing their track record with online systems and the APP, etc. I'm still quite a bit wary, but at least the paranoia about the APs not being activated has somewhat subsided.
Fingers crossed for you all! Hopefully it goes smoothly. Do post back about how it went.

coachwnh

I called today, too. We had better luck getting through. After all the prompt questions, I was talking to a cast member instantly. He assured us we would have access to park reservations on Monday. We also asked about the NBA rumors at Coronado where we are staying and he said he had no new information for us about our stay there. That was really the only question he didn't answer fir us and I'm sure that was way above his standing in the WDW company. Anyway, good luck Monday morning!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
I called today, too. We had better luck getting through. After all the prompt questions, I was talking to a cast member instantly. He assured us we would have access to park reservations on Monday. We also asked about the NBA rumors at Coronado where we are staying and he said he had no new information for us about our stay there. That was really the only question he didn't answer fir us and I'm sure that was way above his standing in the WDW company. Anyway, good luck Monday morning!

Good luck to you as well!

But, if you didn't get to be on hold you missed out on all that great resort music. The loop is just over an hour, so we got a few things twice...

Kind of surprised that they haven't tried to resolve any and all rooming issues before going live with the park reservations. Can't remember if you said, were you supposed to be in the new tower or just at Coronado - looks like the NBA might just be in the tower??

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Wow. What a morning.

Up at 5am (that's really not that far from normal). At about 6:45am, got the Mac laptop and iPad ready to go - logged into MDE and on the New Park Reservation Process page. Ready to rock. As most of you know, 7am hit and... nothing. Nothing for about an hour and half. Then at 8:30am, we started getting into the 'countdown' pages on both devices. And watched those continue to reset for about half an hour. Then one of the countdowns actually got to zero and sent us to a blank page. Let that sit and hoped.

Added more devices and different browsers. Got the PC laptop and tried getting in via Chrome and Edge. And got to the countdown which kept resetting higher every couple minutes.

Added another phone and another laptop (so, now we have three laptops and iPad and and two phones - some with multiple browsers and multiple windows going, some logged in and some not). At about 9:30, saw the ADR hack shared and tried that on the PC Laptop using Chrome in Incognito mode. Took a few refreshes along the way, but at 9:45am we were in and things went quickly with no problems.

So, it looks like there were some major issues with being able to log in. And maybe there were issues with accessing the new system if you had logged in prior to 7am??

But three hours of stressful clicking/waiting/watching others get in/getting bumped out/trying different approaches was a little tough to take. Yeah, it was 10:30am at this point and we were all quite stressed, so... we each had a shot. We are not shot drinkers, but I honestly think it was about the only way to get things calmed down. @MeffysMom is now taking a nap (12:10pm) and I'm posting here, but then going off the devices and reading while listening to some music...or maybe mowing the lawn.

Maybe tonight I'll share the park reservations and the plans as they are developing now.

slipperalwaysfits

Wow. What a morning.

So, it looks like there were some major issues with being able to log in. And maybe there were issues with accessing the new system if you had logged in prior to 7am??

But three hours of stressful clicking/waiting/watching others get in/getting bumped out/trying different approaches was a little tough to take. Yeah, it was 10:30am at this point and we were all quite stressed, so... we each had a shot. We are not shot drinkers, but I honestly think it was about the only way to get things calmed down.

Well, I WOULD have had a shot, but a Master's paper was due today and I didn't want to risk it. We had so many issues this morning. My hubby could make reservations for the days we had hotel reservations but we couldn't get them for our last three days there. At this point, I might keep checking or I might just say "" and quit. I really, really don't want to give up the dream but I'm incredibly upset and not willing to go to only have 4 park days. I mean, yes, first world problem, entitled, blah blah, say what you want. But I guess I'm not sure what to do at this point.

MY husband wouldn't book the whole trip hotel reservation because he thought we were going to use DVC for Dec 1-5. (Spoiler alert, we aren't this year because it's still in process). So now we have to wait with the masses when the new reservations open up. And who knows when that will be??! I'm pretty sure it's this Wednesday but I wish I could NOT worry but .... shots, anyone? :geek: :geek: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :arghh: :arghh:

Thanks for letting me vent. Sorry to hijack your thread.:bored::grumpy:

Last edited:

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Well, I WOULD have had a shot, but a Master's paper was due today and I didn't want to risk it. We had so many issues this morning. My hubby could make reservations for the days we had hotel reservations but we couldn't get them for our last three days there. At this point, I might keep checking or I might just say "******" and quit. I really, really don't want to give up the dream but I'm incredibly upset and not willing to go to only have 4 park days. I mean, yes, first world problem, entitled, blah blah, say what you want. But I guess I'm not sure what to do at this point.

MY husband wouldn't book the whole trip hotel reservation because he thought we were going to use DVC for Dec 1-5. (Spoiler alert, we aren't this year because it's still in process). So now we have to wait with the masses when the new reservations open up. And who knows when that will be??!

Thanks for letting me vent. Sorry to hijack your thread.:bored::grumpy:

Vent away! Not a problem. The situation this morning was beyond poor. There are all kinds of theories floating around about why some folks couldn't book all their days and 'cookies' on browsers and unused old ticket days in the system and more. I wish I knew how to solve them. I was very glad to have gotten the ADR page hack and gotten in to make our reservations. I also can certainly understand just bailing out at this point (and we still are keeping that as an option, for sure).

slipperalwaysfits

Vent away! Not a problem. The situation this morning was beyond poor. There are all kinds of theories floating around about why some folks couldn't book all their days and 'cookies' on browsers and unused old ticket days in the system and more. I wish I knew how to solve them. I was very glad to have gotten the ADR page hack and gotten in to make our reservations. I also can certainly understand just bailing out at this point (and we still are keeping that as an option, for sure).

Thanks It's so nice to have virtual friends! Someday, perhaps we will meet in Disney....my husband does keep talking about going for July 4th some year...Anyway, just keeping our fingers crossed we can book the remaining three days by the end of this week. The first time my husband introduced me to the magic, we only had 4 park days and that was great, but I decided it wasn't enough. We booked 5 for the next year and then....a month or so before we went, my husband went to work one day and came home to seven day park hoppers and now has a wife who's determined to have DVC! :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :geek: :geek: :inlove::inlove:

I'm so looking forward to reading your trip report. Please keep your eyes out for CM's enforcing the Mask Requirement. I certainly plan on wearing my mask but I'm curious as to how strict they are going to be. I mean, the box stores like Costco were strict for a month and now aren't counting people or requiring masks anymore. Maybe their policy says they are, but I see plenty being let in without masks. Newsflash: the pandemic isn't over because we want it to be.

Disney will provide some sense of normalcy and comfort for all of us but it will be different.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanks It's so nice to have virtual friends! Someday, perhaps we will meet in Disney....my husband does keep talking about going for July 4th some year...Anyway, just keeping our fingers crossed we can book the remaining three days by the end of this week. The first time my husband introduced me to the magic, we only had 4 park days and that was great, but I decided it wasn't enough. We booked 5 for the next year and then....a month or so before we went, my husband went to work one day and came home to seven day park hoppers and now has a wife who's determined to have DVC! :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :geek: :geek: :inlove::inlove:

I'm so looking forward to reading your trip report. Please keep your eyes out for CM's enforcing the Mask Requirement. I certainly plan on wearing my mask but I'm curious as to how strict they are going to be. I mean, the box stores like Costco were strict for a month and now aren't counting people or requiring masks anymore. Maybe their policy says they are, but I see plenty being let in without masks. Newsflash: the pandemic isn't over because we want it to be.

Disney will provide some sense of normalcy and comfort for all of us but it will be different.

Your situation sounds somewhat familiar to what I went through with my wife about 20 years ago. Although, I had already looked into DVC in the mid-90s, when she and I first went together in the late 90s she was expecting something like old school Disneyland as that was her only experience. She couldn't figure out why I wanted to stay for 5 days! For the first trip with our daughter (2006) which also included grandparents, we rented DVC points to have more space... and that was it - we were sold. Bought our OKW points via resale pretty soon after. Every year we talk about adding some points, but as a couple teachers about to put a kid through college we always hold off on any extra spending.

We haven't really been out and about that much, but at our local grocery (where our daughter works) they have been very strict all along, although there are always folks who let masks slip below their nose.

One of the main reasons we are going is to get away from home, which has now started to feel somewhat prison-like. With all three of us doing school work for 3 months (and we have very slow internet, DSL is the only option where we live short of building our own tower!) in the house, it will be beautiful just to look at different walls! And Disney walls make us relaxed and happy regardless of the situation.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
I've stayed quiet for a few days as all the crazy news coming out of Florida (and Disney) has been dropping. Certainly the current situation down there doesn't bode incredibly well for vacationing and is making us question our trip much the same as I'm sure Disney brass is questioning their plans which start in two weeks.

After Monday's drama of booking resorts, we dove into planning and coming up with some ideas, but then as the day and then week wore on with the COVID-19 news out of Florida becoming increasingly bad, we slowed that thinking down quite a bit. I'm not sure we are quite ready to consider cancelling at this point; however, it becomes harder and harder to stop that thought on a daily basis. I still hold out hope that the next two weeks will see something positive...

RememberWhen

I've stayed quiet for a few days as all the crazy news coming out of Florida (and Disney) has been dropping. Certainly the current situation down there doesn't bode incredibly well for vacationing and is making us question our trip much the same as I'm sure Disney brass is questioning their plans which start in two weeks.

After Monday's drama of booking resorts, we dove into planning and coming up with some ideas, but then as the day and then week wore on with the COVID-19 news out of Florida becoming increasingly bad, we slowed that thinking down quite a bit. I'm not sure we are quite ready to consider cancelling at this point; however, it becomes harder and harder to stop that thought on a daily basis. I still hold out hope that the next two weeks will see something positive...

Really hoping Florida starts trending better. It’s been a whirlwind. I hope your trip goes off okay.

pkkurz

We are facing the same dilemma ourselves. We arrive on July 19 and the grandkids arrive on the 22nd. We are all AP and were able to get our 3 park days. We have been watching all of the news of increased COVID-19 issues and have been debating if we should postpone again. We are able to travel anytime, but with school starting in August it is basically now or never for a summer trip with the grandkids. We also had a fall break trip in the works too but most likely that will be a “let’s see what happens“ kinda plan.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Really hoping Florida starts trending better. It’s been a whirlwind. I hope your trip goes off okay.

Thanks. Yeah, we were feel pretty darn positive just about a week ago. This week has been a very difficult pill to swallow. Hoping that the next two weeks show some kind of positivity (or, I guess negativity) in numbers.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
We are facing the same dilemma ourselves. We arrive on July 19 and the grandkids arrive on the 22nd. We are all AP and were able to get our 3 park days. We have been watching all of the news of increased COVID-19 issues and have been debating if we should postpone again. We are able to travel anytime, but with school starting in August it is basically now or never for a summer trip with the grandkids. We also had a fall break trip in the works too but most likely that will be a “let’s see what happens“ kinda plan.

This is potentially our last real trip as a family. Our daughter is going to be a senior in high school and with both of us as teachers, we can't really travel during the school year (except Christmas, which definitely isn't happening this year). Next summer she is doing a 'senior week' at Disney with friends and while we will likely be there at the same time we won't be together. Once she is off at college, all bets are off.... Honestly, we aren't averse to a couple weeks in resorts, but that certainly wouldn't be the kind of trip we are hoping to have...

Matt and Kelly

We are supposed to be there the first week of September. We live in Canada and we are just hoping the border stays closed. We rented points for part of trip and they said that’s the only way we would get a credit. We live in a province that when we opened things up again we have stayed consistently low usually never over 40 cases a day, some days we are in the teens. So travelling to the states where they are hitting those high numbers terrifies me. Plus the whole healthcare/insurance issue.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
We are supposed to be there the first week of September. We live in Canada and we are just hoping the border stays closed. We rented points for part of trip and they said that’s the only way we would get a credit. We live in a province that when we opened things up again we have stayed consistently low usually never over 40 cases a day, some days we are in the teens. So travelling to the states where they are hitting those high numbers terrifies me. Plus the whole healthcare/insurance issue.

I totally understand being wary of heading to the any of the US when coming from Canada (who, by the numbers, appear to have dealt with things far better than us). Heck, when we drove across Canada last summer, we barely wanted to come back home (Golden, BC was perhaps our favorite town). The percent positive tests in Florida right now are still below the highest levels that we hit in our home state, so while we are becoming increasingly wary, it isn't totally beyond what we've already dealt with somewhat. I do hope, for your sake, that either the border stays closed or the US finally figures out how to just wear masks and avoid large groups in close quarters...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom