Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

lebeau

Which is who, though? Who felt hurt while riding it? Has anyone seriously avoided this ride because they thought it was racist?

They probably rode it while feeling a bit uncomfortable with the theme. I doubt it ruined anyone's day, but wouldn't a theme that doesn't make anyone uncomfortable be preferable?

I personally do not find the ride offensive. But I have sat in the queue wondering about the weirdness that a Song of the South ride exists in the 21st century.

orlandogal22

They aren't renewing because they are disappointed with the park, not because of covid.

Actually, for us, it's a combo. (apologies if I didn't list all the possible reasons for not renewing, including saving money...)

We're also not going to the parks as long as masks are required. I live here in the 1,000 degree heat and no way I'm going to the parks with a mask on all day. Just no desire. I have no issue wearing my mask at Publix, Whole Foods, IKEA, or wherever else I go in Orange County or Central Fla in general in the air conditioning, but we're holding out on going to the parks until the mask requirement goes away.

Our Disney APs expire in Nov and with a 3-month extension (if that's what they're going to do), that would take us to mid-Feb. Hopefully things will be somewhat back to normal by then so we can at least squeeze in a few last trips before the passes expire.

Parker in NYC

The reaction to the “Elsa is gay!” shouts, is because assuming that a strong independent woman must be a lesbian, is a tired old trope. It’s a horrible stereotype that should be long gone by now, but sadly is apparently not.

I can name off a hundred strong independent female characters in fiction who are not assumed to be lesbian. You're outrageous.

manmythlegend

So, will you still participate on Disney discussion boards to discuss its failings?

I've been going to the international parks, mainly Japan and China. Sometimes DL where I can spend a fraction of what I was spending in WDW for a much shorter stay. All that being said, Disney is getting significantly less money from me than they were prior to 2015.

Parker in NYC

I've been going to the international parks, mainly Japan and China. Sometimes DL where I can spend a fraction of what I was spending in WDW for a much shorter stay. All that being said, Disney is getting significantly less money from me than they were prior to 2015.

Well, I'll see you on those boards!

manmythlegend

Yeah, that really worries me. Updating the final scene would be great, maybe a total update, but if they completely rethemed it to a character or just closed it, it would really affect me.

Maybe they can have Morgan Freeman give the narration to satisfy some folks.

lebeau

Exactly. And I think that's the point many of us have been trying to make. This is a very slippery slope where ultimately no one wins, and the change solves nothing.

Outlining a worst case scenario in which Disney loses all senses and removes everything from all of its parks does not make it so. This probably won't lead to a complete overhaul of every attraction is Disney World. It may even be an isolated incident. Panicking about where this could all lead really doesn't solve anything.

Sir_Cliff

My ealiest relatives came to the USA on the second voyage to Plymouth, Massachusetts. I have had relatives fight in every war the US had and on both sides in the civil war. I love the American Experience and the HoP and hope they are not changed. As I previously posted I love Splash Mountain. I also love Frontier Land and TSI. However, maybe WDW can not only redo Splash Mountain but also BTMRR and TSI into a new land based on PatF. Put Tiana's place on the island and turn BRMRR into a Dr. Facilier ride. I think if Disney wants to do right by Tiana, just changing Splash Mountain is not enough given the area.
Is Princess and the Frog really all that beloved? It's not a film that I ever got the impression really worked its way into the broader public consciousness. Perhaps it's just me; I have seen the film a few times, but the only reason I remember much about the characters or songs is that they keep popping up in the parks. Indeed, my impression has been that Disney has really gone out its way to push this film in the parks even before this announcement.

Not much I can add to what has been said so far. I don't think this was necessary and don't have faith that the WDI of today will be able to pull together anything that competes with the level of storytelling in the original. Splash has always been my favourite attraction as it represents the pinnacle of Disney's ability to pull together storytelling, technology, music, and thrills to create a seamless experience. Even the story they're outlining for the new attraction (Tiana and Louis getting all their friends together for Mardi Gras) seems a weak replacement for the clear narrative that runs through the current ride that was really a genius way of working a log flume into a storytelling device.

Oh well.

21stamps

Ok. Just had never seen that before. Interesting.
I grew up staying at the monorail resorts, Poly most often of all.. ruining the beach was a sad sight for me. Purely nostalgia reasons.

So you think there's a way for Disney to treat all of its fans equally? How would you know if that was achieved?

Disney has done a great job in recent years. Frozen, Coco, Brave, Moana, Star Wars.. just continue making new stuff that isn’t as shallow as the past. We don’t have to erase the past though, just add to it, while appreciating the changes through the year.

manmythlegend

Actually, for us, it's a combo. (apologies if I didn't list all the possible reasons for not renewing, including saving money...)

We're also not going to the parks as long as masks are required. I live here in the 1,000 degree heat and no way I'm going to the parks with a mask on all day. Just no desire. I have no issue wearing my mask at Publix, Whole Foods, IKEA, or wherever else I go in Orange County or Central Fla in general in the air conditioning, but we're holding out on going to the parks until the mask requirement goes away.

Our Disney APs expire in Nov and with a 3-month extension (if that's what they're going to do), that would take us to mid-Feb. Hopefully things will be somewhat back to normal by then so we can at least squeeze in a few last trips before the passes expire.

Right it sounds like a secondary reason to me. The primary reason is your overall dissatisfaction with the way the park is going. Apologies if I'm misstating things. I'm in the same boat as you. It seems like every decision WDW has made since 2014ish has been something I didn't want. It just no longer makes sense for me to give them my money.

orlandogal22

Outlining a worst case scenario in which Disney loses all senses and removes everything from all of its parks does not make it so. This probably won't lead to a complete overhaul of every attraction is Disney World. It may even be an isolated incident. Panicking about where this could all lead really doesn't solve anything.

I didn't say anything about removing "everything" ;)

MagicRat

Oh dear, they said that? See, I'm no model for reading comprehension.

I am confused, are you poking fun at the virus as being a device created by the left? If so I am not going to get into a political fight with you. This virus will hopefully end in 2021, my family is treating it quite seriously, the deaths and lifes changed from the virus is terrible. I have to go out with a mask everyday because I run a construction company where my state deemed me to be essential. My line is we construction workers were not essential but inconsequential. But that’s fine.

My point is the virus will end but the slope will keep sliding. But I totally get attacking one sentence over a total thought process as a way to dismantle an argument. That is part of the problem of the cancel culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom