Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

erasure fan1

So now quoting Uncle Remus is offensive? I assume you expect Zip a Dee Doo Dah to be banned from the parks from here on out, then?

This is just sad, man.
I fully expect that ALL reference to song of the south will be gone. No more have a zip a dee do dah day, no background music... It will all be erased. If it isn't, it will just come under scrutiny again.

The_Jobu

I'm curious the amount of people who would stop visiting wdw if Splash was removed. No way to measure obviously, but it would be interesting.

_caleb

Oh I was jesting. But the mere mention of Elsa's sexuality a few pages back was met with... a certain response. Whether or not Disney was going to address it, they didn't. But there was an uproar at the possibility.
Right. Disney's audience is a diverse mixture of groups. Disney has to decide which of those groups it wants to focus on serving well, and which ones it doesn't. Increasingly, serving one group well means crossing another group, doesn't it?

MagicRat

Tiana herself is one more princess in Disney’s long line of promoting sexism.. sometimes veiled, but almost always there.
Selective outrage is such an interesting thing to watch.

I couldn’t agree more, my avatar is Springsteen and I do tend to agree with most of his politics and he is very much for equality and is quite vocal about it. But if you listen to some of his songs, he is singing about overly pursuing women, “I drive all night just to buy you some shoes...”, should he be canceled too? That would be ironic a champion of rights for everyone getting canceled for singing a song about chasing girls in your twenties. But in this world it could happen.

Parker in NYC

Right. Disney's audience is a diverse mixture of groups. Disney has to decide which of those groups it wants to focus on serving well, and which ones it doesn't. Increasingly, serving one group well means crossing another group, doesn't it?

Absolutely. Of course, economics rule the day so I can understand the need to suppress the LGBT and trans narratives. I mean, Mickey has to eat.

21stamps

I'm curious the amount of people who would stop visiting wdw if Splash was removed. No way to measure obviously, but it would be interesting.

I wouldn’t stop. I was furious at the fences and rocks on the beach, but didn’t stop visiting.
Now, if Tiana (or any princess) took over Frontierland, that might push me over the edge.

DarkMetroid567

I don't think it's not a slippery slope in the way you're thinking. This change, if it is in response to the conversation about racism in America, may indeed lead to more changes at Disney parks as people scrutinize them for racial insensitivity. But it seems to be much more about Disney not wanting to fight in defense of the film and changing the narrative than some slippery slope to getting rid of anything that might offend anyone anywhere.
Keeping in mind that MagicRat is almost certainly not a “bleeding heart liberal” (your Disney Parks rides changing are scarier than the virus???), you’re totally right.

The discourse around SotS and Splash has existed for a long time now and as the social tide continues to shift, it’s not looking to get any better. Haunted Mansion or Main Street USA have never had these controversies. If they ever do, well, we’ll get to that far later.

The_Jobu

I wouldn’t stop. I was furious at the fences and rocks on the beach, but didn’t stop visiting.
Now, if Tiana (or any princess) took over Frontierland, that might push me over the edge.

Interesting, I like knowing what people's line in the sand would be. I think ToT or CoP would be my breaking point.

orlandogal22

Even though I was mocked for saying it yesterday, my household is not renewing our passes when they come up for renewal (after 15+ consecutive years). We're going to take some time off and simply go to DS or the resorts here or there. We've just not been having great experiences in the parks lately, and this decision was just sad for us.

(We're still UOAP, SW / BG, and Legoland APs.)

Homemade Imagineering

Interesting, I like knowing what people's line in the sand would be. I think ToT or CoP would be my breaking point.
Unfortunately it seems that CoP’s days may be limited according to WDW Pro, but idk if that’ll actually happen as things could shift within the diversity committee that’s looking into a handful of attractions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom