Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

_caleb

I’m starting petitions to get rid of Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Peter Pan, Dumbo, Hall of Presidents, Carousel of Progress, mickeys Runaway Railway, Tom Sawyer island, Pirates, and the Tiki Room.
This post indicates to me that you don't understand the perspective of those who are saying they are hurt by the ride's association with the film.

MagicRat

I am a liberal. I think publicly displaying the confederate flag is terrible. I also think parts of our history is terrible and it’s about time the real Columbus is portrayed to those who didn’t know his doings. However, changing this ride due to a vocal minority is wrong and dangerous. Will me having the picture below on my wall be seen as flying a confederate flag? I hope not. What about wearing a Splash Mountain shirt at the park? Will you get asked to turn it inside out? What’s next on this slippery slope? Tom Sawyer Island? Some of the parts on the railroad? Country Bears? Come to think of it, the golden age of Hollywood was racist, sexist and full of violence. You couldn’t be LGBT and if you were pregnant and not married the studios would force issues. Let’s get rid of Hollywood Studios too.

I better take my picture down. Again I am a bleeding heart liberal and I have these views. This is scarier than the virus.
4EF65214-68F6-43EB-847A-11E783A649A3.jpeg

The_Jobu

I am a liberal. I think publicly displaying the confederate flag is terrible. I also think parts of our history is terrible and it’s about time the real Columbus is portrayed to those who didn’t know his doings. However, changing this ride due to a vocal minority is wrong and dangerous. Will me having the picture below on my wall be seen as flying a confederate flag? I hope not. What about wearing a Splash Mountain shirt at the park? Will you get asked to turn it inside out? What’s next on this slippery slope? Tom Sawyer Island? Some of the parts on the railroad? Country Bears? Come to think of it, the golden age of Hollywood was racist, sexist and full of violence. You couldn’t be LGBT and if you were pregnant and not married the studios would force issues. Let’s get rid of Hollywood Studios too.

I better take my picture down. Again I am a bleeding heart liberal and I have these views. This is scarier than the virus.
View attachment 479628

Sweet print.

orlandogal22

View attachment 479628

Exactly. And I think that's the point many of us have been trying to make. This is a very slippery slope where ultimately no one wins, and the change solves nothing.

Parker in NYC

And do you think Disney's response has been sufficient?

Oh I was jesting. But the mere mention of Elsa's sexuality a few pages back was met with... a certain response. Whether or not Disney was going to address it, they didn't. But there was an uproar at the possibility.

21stamps

View attachment 479628

Tiana herself is one more princess in Disney’s long line of promoting sexism.. sometimes veiled, but almost always there.
Selective outrage is such an interesting thing to watch.

_caleb

View attachment 479628
I don't think it's not a slippery slope in the way you're thinking. This change, if it is in response to the conversation about racism in America, may indeed lead to more changes at Disney parks as people scrutinize them for racial insensitivity. But it seems to be much more about Disney not wanting to fight in defense of the film and changing the narrative than some slippery slope to getting rid of anything that might offend anyone anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom