Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
You may no longer be the demographic they care about anymore.
Truer words have never been posted on WDWMagic.

Many of us, myself included, are no longer the target audience. What's weird is that I am an upper middle class family, two boys and owns DVC.

MrPromey

Im honestly surprised they are spending the money to do this.

It probably would have been cheaper if Disney just created an updated film with the Br'er Rabbit stories but by someone from todays time, then threw it on Disney+. Then just come out with some PR saying they felt like the stories were historically important enough to keep alive but the setting originally attached to them was problematic.

And slate princess Tiana for her own dark ride attraction that doesn't come with a height requirement and drops that scare young children away from riding it. (my son who just turned 8 still has never ridden Splash Mountain out of fear from seeing that final drop no matter how much I've tried to convince him most of the ride is nothing like that)

Total disclosure, I'm against this whole thing mostly because I don't trust Disney not to screw this up since they have a mediocre-at-best track record with reskins and I'd personally rather have a great ride stay a great ride and have another potentially great ride built the way it should be rather than taking an IP with potential and doing a back-flip to try to make it fit an existing space and ride system.

I think there were ways for Disney to keep the existing ride and theme that would have been thoughtful and forward-thinking and inclusive for everyone in a positive way that would have shown true moral direction as a company by making an actual statement rather than this "we're not changing this because of why it's obvious to everyone we're changing this and don't ask us why we thought the original idea was good to begin with".

That feels like a better win for fans of the existing ride and for people who are hurt by the association to the movie. Sure, it would still p*ss off the racists to change anything but who cares about them (when it comes to their opinion on race) anyway?

Last edited:

Dan Deesnee

So a supposed $50 million for a RIDE and 7 million to those organizations that might actually help change peoples lives and futures?

What a joke.

And there is not a lot of empathy here because most people realize that spending tens of millions on a mostly harmless ride featuring talking animals isn't how you achieve actual change and provide a brighter future to people in need... Amazing that I had to explain that but oh well.

The_Jobu

No matter how many times you and others repeat that you did not find the ride offensive, it won't change the fact that others felt differently.

This thread would be a lot shorter if people would grasp that point.

Yes it would, especially if you grasp that "some people" is an inherently useless value. What if people feel differently about Haunted Mansion, or Pirates? Tear it down? What is your threshold for action vs inaction?

Some people didnt like it, therefore it must be changed, is not a coherent argument. Stop bringing it up.

Just say you find it offensive and you are glad they changed it. Then people would have something to debate.

orlandogal22

I'm just curious - honest question here - for those who are pleased with this change, have you ever rode Splash Mountain? Did you enjoy Splash Mountain? Or did you avoid Splash Mountain due to the beliefs expressed in this forum as the catalyst requiring this change?

PrincessNelly_NJ

Do you think the Disney executives woke up one day, and thought “Splash Mountain is an unpopular attraction, how can we re-theme it to attract guests to that area?”

Or,are they replying to current loud social media outrage, proving how woke they are, with a surface level showing by sticking a princess on one of their already most popular attractions?
People have been talking about re-theme splash for years. Please search these forums

PrincessNelly_NJ

While I was initially surprised at the news, I actually have no issues about the retheming. There is no question the Walt Disney Company is doing this for money. They value the money they know taking this sort of stand will attract. If you don't agree with them taking this stand, don't go. It is really simple. You may no longer be the demographic they care about anymore. Get over it.
A lot of people in this thread fail to understand this change isn't for them.

PrincessNelly_NJ

Tell me what's offensive about Splash Mountain. Go ahead. I dare you. And dont bring up the movie it's "based on", that's not what is being changed.

Yeah, recycled animatronics on an entirely new ride system. Come on now...
Google is free.... Read through this thread.

You cannot improve if you ask people to explain offensive things to them but then ignore them when they keep explaining it. You have not deserve to understand it. And thats fine. So stop @ me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom