Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2dru

It wasn't an argument so much as it was a statement.

That being said, will anyone know or talk about SotS in the future or will this cancel culture succeed in erasing achievements of the original participants (whether or not they stem from what could be perceived as controversial in 2020 or beyond).

It was perceived controversial in 1946. And again retheming a theme park attraction doesn't erase Mr. Baskett's achievement. There are museums, books, etc for that.

orlandogal22

The underlying folktales got collected into the book, Song of the South. The movie had Uncle Remus tell the stories, but, not as part of his African heritage. Disney used the animated telling of those stories in Splash Mountain, further stripping them of their connection to African traditions by trying to white wash the racist parts of the movie from the ride. No Remus. No Africans.

So, if you want to honor the original African folklore, then Splash Mountain ain't it. The stories have been culturally appropriated as Disneyesque.

Song of the South was a book? That's news to me.

Here I was thinking SotS was based off the collection of Uncle Remus storybooks written by Joel Chandler Harris.

Rteetz

I'm not *missing* the point, I just think it's ridiculous.

So the source material is problematic. This is true of Cinderella's castle, the Dumbo ride, etc... I assume you want to take these down as well?
Those aren't nearly as problematic as Song of the South. People for years have been talking about the controversy behind the ride/film. It is nothing new. The worldwide movement only helped push that through The Walt Disney Company. The company has made great efforts to keep Song of the South locked away.

Do not get me wrong, I LOVE Splash Mountain. However I am not surprised by this move. I hope they change it well and give Princess and the Frog the attraction it deserves.

orlandogal22

It was perceived controversial in 1946. And again retheming a theme park attraction doesn't erase Mr. Baskett's achievement. There are museums, books, etc for that.

I wish we could go back in time and ask Mr. Baskett what he thought of being in the movie and getting the Oscar for his work, and what he'd think of all of this today. After all, he auditioned for a small role in the movie but Disney loved him so much he gave him the lead.

BigDlover

105645012_10157304071656546_2015328977904364889_n.jpg

BlakeW39

You are free to feel whatever way you choose. But telling someone else their opinion of something is ridiculous is crass and vacuous.

Lol it's not vacous. I think it's ridiculous because it's overly sensitive. Crass is also quite ths stretch lol. You're free to be offended by Splash Montain I suppose but it's literally just a thrill ride, with no humans or racism involved.

Those aren't nearly as problematic as Song of the South. People for years have been talking about the controversy behind the ride/film. It is nothing new. The worldwide movement only helped push that through The Walt Disney Company. The company has made great efforts to keep Song of the South locked away.

Do not get me wrong, I LOVE Splash Mountain. However I am not surprised by this move. I hope they change it well and give Princess and the Frog the attraction it deserves.

You're mostly right. I am surprised by Disney being this bold but not surprised by their intentions.

Like I said I've seen the film and agree on its problems. I just don't think those problems apply to the ride.

MuteSuperstar

What happens to the plantation section of Port Orleans? Bulldoze it? Retheme it to match/extend French Quarter? Because there's no way they can keep it and have any credibility. That will not be an inexpensive undertaking.

Rteetz

Like I said I've seen the film and agree on its problems. I just don't think those problems apply to the ride.
I don't disagree but at the same time you still have that basis. The ride storyline might not be problematic per se but it still has that root. You can't just change one scene in this like you can in say Peter Pan.

N2dru

I wish we could go back in time and ask Mr. Baskett what he thought of being in the movie and getting the Oscar for his work, and what he'd think of all of this today. After all, he auditioned for a small role in the movie but Disney loved him so much he gave him the lead.

That would be an interesting conversation I would imagine. But I'm sure he would agree his legacy would not disappear because of a theme park attraction re-theme.

orlandogal22

No. He’s not missing the point. He’s saying the point is stupid.
Open your eyes. Problematic origins exist for nearly every piece of entertainment we consume. Super Mario is an Italian stereotype. Someone brought up Indiana Jones’ racial depictions. Mickey and several other cartoon characters have done blackface and fought “cannibals”. Pokémon had Jynx in the original 151. But we let these slide because the companies did what they could to fix them, and the majority like these IPs.

With Splash, it’s deemed okay because nobody really cares about SotS. Barely anyone’s watched it, and if they have, their opinion on it was made up long before they pressed play.

It’s easy to hate on something you don’t care about. It makes you feel good because your “in the right” without making a huge effort to do anything morally just. Flip the tables. Something you love is called out, perhaps unfairly, and you’ll be defending it like we are.

Splash did just about everything it could to give an interpretation of the stories that wouldn’t offend people. It was an easy target for people to get their moral jerk offs.

Exactly. On a similar note, I liken this to people who vehemently trash SeaWorld Orlando and the state's zoological parks, then turn a blind eye to the dolphins and other sea creatures at the Living Seas and argue it's OK because it's Disney and then basically hand over their paychecks to DAK while visiting the animals. Bottom line is - inconsistency. Other bottom line - people get offended by what they want to get offended by, or what's politically expedient at the moment; often what the bandwagon idea is.

champdisney

No, don’t change the narrative.

You insinuated that what he said, he acted upon. I challenged you to provide any evidence that he acted upon that. I’m still waiting. Being distasteful and being real are two very different things, and you should be more specific in your wording.
I’m not changing any narrative. You know what you said. You have not given me proof as to why SOTS and Splash are works of racism. James Gunn made offensive tweets concerning sexual abuse against children and from my knowledge was not investigated thoroughly, if not at all.

Seriously, haven’t you kept up with current events? Hollywood is filled with sick people that are in with that vile behavior. The same behavior that James Gunn attempted to normalize with those tweets. A lot of those people involved in the entertainment industry have been exposed for this and because of “lack of evidence” you want to pass Gunn’s jokes as “A-okay”.

It is easy for a millionaire to get away with that kind of behavior because of their financial resources, especially when they have a company like Disney backing them up. Get real and quit trying to correct me. You know you have the belief system of a clown. Completely whacked out.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Song of the South was a book? That's news to me.

Here I was thinking SotS was based off the collection of Uncle Remus storybooks written by Joel Chandler Harris.

Oh, no.

I mistakenly called a series of books "a book" in the singular.

I just realize everything I have just posted in this thread is a lie. How could I have been so stupid?

What am I doing with my life? Does life even have meaning?

I'm disappearing.

goodbye

Brer Oswald

Not sure what you’re trying to achieve by this, especially with that border.
I’m not American, I despise your president, and before this retheme BS, I was using my Twitter platform to scream to the high heavens in support of the BLM movement, until the DisTwitter activists I was supporting turned on me and chased me out for my love of the singing cartoon animal ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom