Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

britain

If their objective was to remove problematic media, but they also wanted to increase capacity, why didn't they do this?

Reopen and Reimagine the old plans for Western River Expedition. That fits more into frontierland and could replace splash.

Nuke Tom Sawyer Island and replace it with a bayou dark ride for PatF.

Now you have representation and the removal of two problematic properties while mildly leaving the area unbroken?

Please someone shoot me down.

Why spend the money on building an all new PotF attraction and reimagining Splash into WRE when you could achieve the same ends with reimagining Splash into PotF?

EDIT: I don't think they care about capacity right now. They care more about the immediate health disaster, the woke PR moment, and the longer-term marketing need of having something "NEW!" to advertise that won't cost as much as something truly new.

orlandogal22

Twitter isn't having it today. You express your sentiment that you're disappointed by this change and they'll have your head on a silver platter for not being fully in favor of the change.

Exactly what I found to be the case under the cesspool that is today's post on the WDW IG page. Hateful comments toward innocent people simply voicing sadness over the ride being taken away.

BigDlover

I wasn't talking to you, but since you asked, I have a B.A. in English with minors in Cartographic Communications and History from Youngstown State University, an M.A. in English from Morehead State University, and an M.S. in Library & Information Studies from Florida State University.

Are we cool? Have we established bona fides now?
Is any of that supposed to be impressive to anyone?

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Wow at least this just confirms what demographic is heavily on this forum. Those damn liberals re theming old rides!!

Except I understand that people will miss the ride including me. But what I don’t understand is why people like you claim that the whole operation including the people who are fine with it must be a communist? Some things in this country really don’t change do they.. You would be right at home in the red scare, which maybe defends why theme park rides should never change when people like you don’t either.
That’s the only reason why it ticks me off that there changing the ride. If it were an average day and they just wanted something new well yeah I prefer what it is but I’m light of a situation that most people of all color don’t even sitcoms to it’s not fair. A majority of people of all races don’t give a darn but there’s an individual group of people that have to make these issues. Many of us go on in life never getting offended and getting along a monks each other. Me and my co workers all great friends come in all colors and this has nothing between us. So yes this is the stupidest reason to change the ride. Why we cave to such a violent divisive group of people is beyond me.

Flugell

I have found this thread late and have read the first thirty pages and the last ten so if I’m going over old ground please forgive. Firstly I need to say I love Splash Mountain and am beyond sad that it will be removed. I am also white and from the U.K. This may or may not have any relevance to how I feel. I feel I can understand where the desire to eradicate Splash Mountain comes from and why it can be viewed as offensive. I haven’t read the books since I was little, nor seen the film since I was in single digits! Close on 60 years ago but remember feeling that the stories were wonderful and the hero was undoubtedly the Uncle Remus(?) character who I wanted as a Grandad. As I read the books and watched the film my Mum explained to me that it was a very tragic time, the hero was a “freed” slave who still had no real freedom. She explained, as best she could, that the whole scenario was a triumph of humanity with the ex slave finding it in his soul to forgive his previous owners and their families. This had a profound impact on how I viewed discrimination and slavery. I cannot abide discrimination of any kind and feel that placing a token black princess in place of Splash Mountain could in some way be regarded as racist. If we use Tiana then “people will stop complaining.” However, it does little to address the inequality of characters or underlying causes of distress. I haven’t seen the film- check my age! so am unable to comment on it’s suitability. WDW is a magic place and should be magic for everyone but if Splash Mountain had a pre show or even a loop on a screen near where it was explaining the story, as my Mum did for me, then maybe, just maybe it could become something that helps to break down barriers, educate people and allow the descendants of slaves to feel proud of what they have achieved and explain why life is still unequal, though avoiding police brutality I would suggest. I realise that there is much more to do in the world but talking, educating and acknowledging and taking responsibility for past mistakes and providing constructive ideas for moving forward are surely more effective methods than removing reminders from the past giving no point of reference in the future. If anyone finds these points of view in any way offensive, please accept my sincere apologies in advance. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Super-Goof

Exactly what I found to be the case under the cesspool that is today's post on the WDW IG page. Hateful comments toward innocent people simply voicing sadness over the ride being taken away.
theres also been hateful comments directed towards supporters of the change in this exact forum, we cant just look at one side and ignore the other, BOTH sides need to grow up,

BigDlover

😂 You asked.

To be frank, I was directing my comment toward someone who was negating someone else's love of history and demeaning them for their accurate knowledge of the subject matter. As I stated previously, I was not speaking to you.
You're speaking online, to the entire community. This is a public forum.

orlandogal22

theres also been hateful comments directed towards supporters of the change in this exact forum, we cant just look at one side and ignore the other, BOTH sides need to grow up,

True.

However, I would think if commenters on this board spewed some of the hateful words people are being called on Twitter, Facebook, and IG, they'd be quickly deleted. The threads on those platforms are toxic.

champdisney

I’m against the retheme, I already suggested this point in the earlier pages of this thread. However, I’m sure Disney will deliver and make the transition into Princess and the Frog worthwhile. Splash Mountain is a lengthy ride where the rider can enjoy each set, the animatronics and the overall story. Disney has no excuse to execute big on this.

This isn’t Frozen Ever After, where Disney shoehorned the Frozen franchise into Maelstrom knowing that Maelstrom was an extremely short-length attraction. I expect them to really go all out on this retheme. Wait a minute... didn’t Disney put the Spaceship Earth revamp on halt due to financial issues stemming from the pandemic?

Hmm. Something reeks of lies and it seems to be apparent that Disney has shifted their priorities into catering to the complaints of these so called “woke” individuals on social media (most of them who don’t care for Disney and it’s parks) so that the company can appear to be woke as well.

The crocodile tears end and Disney will get the praise... that is until these same people find something else to complain about.

And what about Frontierland? The theme doesn’t match the land at all. Sure, you can retheme Pecos Bill into a Princess and the Frog restaurant to go along with it but that still doesn’t fix the real issue... This isn’t the proper spot for these characters!

I can just imagine the backlash I would get from these crybabies if I were to tweet about how thematically unfit this retheme would be for Frontierland. The names I would receive. lol! All I know is that Disney will soon find out that pandering is never the answer.

Also... isn’t Princess and the Frog the reason why Disney doesn’t make traditional hand drawn animated films? I did well in the box office but still performed poorly for Disney’s standards? So much for creating attractions based on box office successes!

So much hypocrisy here.

davis_unoxx

I have found this thread late and have read the first thirty pages and the last ten so if I’m going over old ground please forgive. Firstly I need to say I love Splash Mountain and am beyond sad that it will be removed. I am also white and from the U.K. This may or may not have any relevance to how I feel. I feel I can understand where the desire to eradicate Splash Mountain comes from and why it can be viewed as offensive. I haven’t read the books since I was little, nor seen the film since I was in single digits! Close on 60 years ago but remember feeling that the stories were wonderful and the hero was undoubtedly the Uncle Remus(?) character who I wanted as a Grandad. As I read the books and watched the film my Mum explained to me that it was a very tragic time, the hero was a “freed” slave who still had no real freedom. She explained, as best she could, that the whole scenario was a triumph of humanity with the ex slave finding it in his soul to forgive his previous owners and their families. This had a profound impact on how I viewed discrimination and slavery. I cannot abide discrimination of any kind and feel that placing a token black princess in place of Splash Mountain could in some way be regarded as racist. If we use Tiana then “people will stop complaining.” However, it does little to address the inequality of characters or underlying causes of distress. I haven’t seen the film- check my age! so am unable to comment on it’s suitability. WDW is a magic place and should be magic for everyone but if Splash Mountain had a pre show or even a loop on a screen near where it was explaining the story, as my Mum did for me, then maybe, just maybe it could become something that helps to break down barriers, educate people and allow the descendants of slaves to feel proud of what they have achieved and explain why life is still unequal, though avoiding police brutality I would suggest. I realise that there is much more to do in the world but talking, educating and acknowledging and taking responsibility for past mistakes and providing constructive ideas for moving forward are surely more effective methods than removing reminders from the past giving no point of reference in the future. If anyone finds these points of view in any way offensive, please accept my sincere apologies in advance. Nothing could be further from the truth.
beautifully said as well! I agree I was thinking a few weeks ago disney could put a sign up as education or a warning. Unfortunately, Disney took the easy route which is very dangerous because now it could lead to countless other rides being removed or questioned.

On a more lighthearted note you a fan of pizza express? I’m from the states but love going there with my British family when I visit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom