Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirNim

Um...you do know about the amount of cultural erasure that was carried out on nonwhite populations across American history, right?

I'm talking things like schools that Natives were forced into to convert them from their traditional religions, cut their hair, and make them adopt European mannerisms, all as colonizers built over their land and erased signs of their presence and culture; enslaved Africans being sorted specifically so they could not easily bring their traditions with them after being abducted; Mexican people who lived in the American west suddenly having their legitimacy questioned because the US took the land they lived on from under them but had no plan to accommodate them; Chinese immigrants forced to only accept certain jobs by law, and being made to change their cultural hair and clothing or risk lynchings and race riots; the list goes on.

To call "a few statues designed for no other reason than to inspire racial terror" being taken down an "unprecedented level of erasure" first supposes that the Confederacy was a "culture", and also ignores pretty much the entirety of American history.
You've conflated quotes there - I said nothing about statues.

What I said was, identities were at stake here. This isn't about tearing down statues. This isn't about tearing down animatronic bears and rabbits. This isn't about tearing down offensive dialect reminiscent of the worst stereotypes.

This is about tearing down identities, about pulling the rug out from underneath a nation (a world?) of good men and women. When your very identity is at stake... don't be surprised to see pushback.

RoysCabin

You've conflated quotes there - I said nothing about statues.

What I said was, identities were at stake here. This isn't about tearing down statues. This isn't about tearing down animatronic bears and rabbits. This isn't about tearing down offensive dialect reminiscent of the worst stereotypes.

This is about tearing down identities, about pulling the rug out from underneath a nation (a world?) of good men and women. When your very identity is at stake... don't be surprised to see pushback.
That sounds unhinged.

Brer Oswald

If a ride as high profile as Splash was considered for change a year ago we would have heard about it months ago.
Yeah. I wouldn’t be surprised if the piece of concept art WAS created and pitched a year ago only to get immediately shut down.
Sarah Sterling was trying to pitch this years ago, and she joined WDI not too long ago to work on the Star Wars hotel. Not saying it had to be her that pitched this, but it’s an interesting observation.

SirNim

That sounds unhinged.
My birth certificate may not have the same words on it if I request a new copy next year.

Do you want to know why?

My state may change its very name. It's been in the news recently, I'm sure you've seen a story.

When the name of the place you were born decides to change its name, because its old name was racist, or because some people thought it was racist - you can be sure the crazies out there may take that as a personal attack.

Much like you calling me unhinged. But I'll allow it in the spirit of good debate. Cheers!

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Those are real people. though. That's a bit different from a fictional character.

I'm not saying there won't potentially be people making an issue out of the old Mickey cartoons, but it's much easier to argue against and it's unlikely much will come of it.

Song of the South is fictional too.

HauntedMansionFLA

Per the ocregister article, it will.

"A date has not been set for the debut of the Splash Mountain ride makeovers. The Splash Mountain rides on both coasts will return with their existing back stories when Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom eventually reopen following extended coronavirus closures."
The next complaint will be that she is too far away from the other princesses

Bairstow

I think this is a good time to bring this up.

Song of the South, without refute, is an offensive film. HOWEVER, having watched the film, and based on what is known about the creation of the film, there was absolutely no intent to make a mockery of or insult black people. It’s racist, but it’s “casually racist” (Meaning racist without intent). That’s still bad. However, it creates a bit of a strange paradox.

You look at the Cannibals in the Mickey Cartoons. That’s racism with the intent to mock. The Natives in Peter Pan. You can be the judge on that, but I feel it lies closer to mockery than innocent racism. The Simese Cats From Lady and the Tramp. I think you get the point.

Why is it okay to celebrate these films, despite these intentional cultural appropriations? Why can’t we put a disclaimer on SotS, but we can on these films?

The reason? Well there’s two:
1) SotS had a major E Ticket it was based on. Hiding it protected Splash. Well, look how that turned out.

2) SotS, despite being casually racist, is casually racist and awkward through much of the films runtime. 6/130 Mickey cartoons are racist. A very small amount of Peter Pan is dedicated to the stereotypes. Etc.

Should this be the merit to judging what is and isn’t okay? Who am I to make that call? But it’s interesting to note.

It's more that the "Indian" scene in Peter Pan is a small part of the film and the entire premise of Song of the South is how the little boy reacts to living at the Plantation and talking with Uncle Remus.

Also, the depictions of "Indians" in Peter Pan might be offensive, but the movie doesn't directly address or minimize the extermination of Native Americans at the hands of the US Government. Song of the South does directly address and minimize the evils of the relationship between southern plantation owners and the African Americans who worked for them.

Tony Perkis

No doubt, but certainly many things can be viewed as problematic depending upon how you look at them.
Definitely. The term "problematic" needs to be stripped from our vernacular. It's too broad, and paints the same over something with a slight problem and something that's truly awful.

RoysCabin

My birth certificate may not have the same words on it if I request a new copy next year.

Do you want to know why?

My state may change its very name. It's been in the news recently, I'm sure you've seen a story.

When the name of the place you were born decides to change its name, because its old name was racist, or because some people thought it was racist - you can be sure the crazies out there may take that as a personal attack.

Much like you calling me unhinged. But I'll allow it in the spirit of good debate. Cheers!
Yeah, no, there's no justification for anything you're saying, and you're coming off like you endorse it. That sounds unhinged. If you don't intend to endorse it, I apologize, but that's how it's coming off.

Bairstow

If Splash Down Photos gets replaced with Bibbidi Bayou Boutique, we'll know the real reason why it was changed.
Oh you can bet your last dollar that someone with a Power Point presentation was doing a comparison estimate on how much more money Tiana dresses will bring in than Brer Rabbit plush.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom