Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

tirian

I mentioned Whoopi Goldberg earlier. And I agree that with the right context, the film could be presented.

And the protests did not die down quickly. They bubbled up every few years with every re-release. But since those re-releases were insanely profitable, no one gave them a second thought.
Yeah, I was typing quickly and went back to clarify what I meant. The uneasiness continued, but the louder protests largely fizzled when people realized how corny the live-action was anyway.

WillWrambles

In the Parks
No
Funny how this petition gets there attention but other did not. 🤔

Pgc788KGtj1OJKj4lYdSCHFMqgUNz0SXvXk4N3ftBzxb3YnJnxKyUugZndGrjFOBwCeLKu7tC1bhykPYdtTcjPlQRJbE41WM_HjoJDo5UKqoTv2_YiCgpHIXMwlVNNXGH6P_2QFTFVhg4sYc
Note how I said that it might have always been planned. We will never truly know.

LF85

Wait, please explain. Is it ignorant because I am okay with the change, and you disagree with that and are angry so you are projecting onto me?

Or ignorant because the history of Disney now tells us they are willing to change fan favorites and could care less what we think?

I would love to further discuss what is ignorant in my post.

Because you said you were here for the meltdowns..

Club Cooloholic

I think you all are giving the "twitter mobs" way too much credit. Are we really thinking no one internally had concerns about the ride prior to the petition circulating recently? I'm sure there were plenty of folks inside the company that were concerned with having a marquee attraction tied to a movie the company has disowned. I don't think they needed a big outside push to see that it was time to make the change sooner rather than later.
Right on. We all complain about how Disney is a business. People need to stop looking at this change as bending of will to anyone, Disney doesn't do that, they operate like a machine, they look at the data, the numbers and they looked at this and said, "wait, we can build around a Princess a movie people can actually see? Ka-Ching.
Want to protest something folks? Protest the dang Dessert Parties(oh they will come back some day) that keep taking up more of the prime space for fireworks views, or forcing you to buy a crappy meal to get good seats at Fantasmic. Protest hard ticket nights to be at the park till 12AM, something that USED to be consistently free! Don't let the company changing a ride to cut itself from a movie they are embarrassed about be what you rally around.

noodles

Forget the motivation behind the replacement for a moment.

What bothers me is that what's being put in its place is being done quickly and cheaply. If recent Disney projects have been a guide, the quality and immersion of the original attraction will almost certainly be lost. If Disney can improve and build something that takes what Splash was to the next level, then I will have no problem. But if we're using Mickey's RR as an example of Disney excellence, you're going to get grade A garbage.
Then, the SJWs will say it was done cheap because Tiana is black. Win-win, Disney. Brilliant!

clemmo

As much as we all criticize them, Disney may not get criticized too much by the general public because unfortunately imo the average guest just wants ip's they can relate to. This is very on brand with every other decision they've made lately (tower, frozen, MAMRR).

donaldtoo

And, the insanity continues...…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………......………………...…………………………………………………………….......………………………………………..............

Tavernacle12

But in a funny way there would probably be little backlash if they were going to build a ride from scratch.

The whole reason they’re doing this is that having a “Song of the South” attraction at all is a problem. Building a ride from scratch but leaving Splash up solves nothing.

There was no WDW problem to solve around this attraction (other than appropriate upkeep). There are real-life problems that need to be solved, this doesn't do that....or move the needle in any way

They don’t want an attraction based on a highly problematic property in their theme parks. Would you rather they 20,000 Leagues it for twenty years or rethemed it in the next couple?

TwilightZone

The second thing I want to add is that this shows how...bubbly this community is. I have two friends, one who is super into defunctland, who are excited for this news. It's not for everyone, but I think that goes to show how different the "outside" and "inside" of the community is.

Yert3

Tokyo still has the OG PotC scenes; Pre-90s and Auction changes. This is being done because Americans are dumb and don’t understand what meaningful progress or structural change looks like.

Also, Tiana and Naveen are frogs for more than half of the film. So 🤷‍♂️.
It’s kind of ironic how the Oriental Land Company is a better Disney than Disney themselves. The still have the original Haunted Mansion too before the dreadful changes.

hokielutz

But it would be lovely to have a new attraction, separate and apart from this issue.

But it won't be a new attraction... same ride system, just new theming, sets, and paint. Is this really worth the $200+ million that it will require to design, build, and promote?? There will be very little ROI on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom