Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
UPDATE:

In the absence of many specific details on the project and due to its polarizing nature, this original thread is mostly a political/social debate, which is best served in the Politics/Social section of the forum. In its original location in News & Rumors it became impossible to moderate within the no-political discussion rule that we have in place (see Terms and rules).

The new thread will serve as the ongoing thread for discussion of the attraction retheme. ANY political/social commentary will be deleted and the poster will be banned from taking any further part.

ORIGINAL POST

Disney will update the Splash Mountain rides in the United States with a new “Princess and the Frog” theme following an online debate about the undertones inherent in the current backstory based on the controversial 1940s Disney movie “Song of the South.”

The Splash Mountain log flume rides at Disneyland in Anaheim and the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World in Florida will be transformed with a new theme based on the 2009 “Princess and the Frog” animated movie, according to Disney.

“The retheming of Splash Mountain is of particular importance today,” according to a statement posted to the Disney Parks Blog. “The new concept is inclusive — one that all of our guests can connect with and be inspired by, and it speaks to the diversity of the millions of people who visit our parks each year.”

Here is the announcement at the Disney Parks Blog -

dpbwd019840923572837423840239480.jpg

"Today we are thrilled to share a first glimpse of a project Imagineers have been working on since last year. Splash Mountain – at both Disneyland park in California and Magic Kingdom park in Florida – will soon be completely reimagined. The theme is inspired by an all-time favorite animated Disney film, “The Princess and the Frog.” We pick up this story after the final kiss, and join Princess Tiana and Louis on a musical adventure – featuring some of the powerful music from the film – as they prepare for their first-ever Mardi Gras performance."

Last edited by a moderator:

disneygeek90

I'm shocked, sad, but excited? Princess and the frog needed some love. It's such an underrated movie. There's a ton of potential for this. I hope they keep the ride length because that's one of my favorite things about it.
I'm going through all the same emotions. Princess and the Frog has some amazing, underrated songs as well. I think they could do a lot with this.

Surferboy567

I’ve said my peace about this. I’m upset to lose all the iconic music. They shouldn’t have rethemed splash mountain however I will admit that artwork looks really nice.

I’m sure they will put out a great ride, it’s just a shame we had to lose such a iconic attraction. What stings even more...I never got to experience the WDW version only just now getting over my fear in Disneyland.

Do we actually buy this was in development before the coverage?

DisneyOutsider

Well.. at least you can't say they're only paying lip service.

The problems with the film are undeniable, and the attraction is forever linked to the film even if it does exclude the problematic themes. I want to keep a level head about this... BUT I know that Imagineering will not hold themselves to the same standards as the original when re-doing this attraction. Get ready for Screen Mountain, folks.

I know some don't think Princess and the Frog is a thematic fit in Frontierland.. but it's no less of a fit than Song of the South was.

duder

Not sure how I feel about this one. Splash is one of my favorite rides, but I understand the inspiration is problematic, even if the ride itself does not reflect much of those problems.

My biggest worry is the wild card that is Disney $$ investment in the project. Splash is maybe the most elaborate ride that they have, so if they half the re-theme, it is really going to stick out.

Now, if they go all-in and give this the effort it deserves, it could be pretty cool.

I suspect that they will have a pretty large spot light on them with this project, so going cheap would probably not be the correct direction. They could really develop a good narrative by taking one of their few African American focused IPs and turning it into a ground breaking attraction.

Fingers crossed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom