News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

kurtk

I have a question here. A lot of people have complained about the big blue building that will house the track for this ride. Recently, Bioreconstruct posted several pictures of the new Jurassic Park roller coaster being constructed at Islands of Adventure. (example below) It looks to me like it will block views of parts of the park including Hogwarts castle in places.
Now to me, I would rather the big blue building that I can ignore with a roller coaster that I can't see in the park, rather than the exposed roller coaster that will be hard to ignore. It is one thing for the coaster to be in the land like SDMT or SDD but this will be visible beyond Jurassic Park area.
Anyone else have an opinion?
Bioreconstruct

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I have a question here. A lot of people have complained about the big blue building that will house the track for this ride. Recently, Bioreconstruct posted several pictures of the new Jurassic Park roller coaster being constructed at Islands of Adventure. (example below) It looks to me like it will block views of parts of the park including Hogwarts castle in places.
Now to me, I would rather the big blue building that I can ignore with a roller coaster that I can't see in the park, rather than the exposed roller coaster that will be hard to ignore. It is one thing for the coaster to be in the land like SDMT or SDD but this will be visible beyond Jurassic Park area.
Bioreconstruct
My humble opinion, i'd rather not have either. I don't think its apples to oranges though, Universal was never in the business of preserving sight lines, whereas early Epcot made that a priority. Simply put, there shouldn't be a coaster in Epcot at all, thus eliminating the need to choose between a ugly box or an ugly track to look at.

ppete1975

My humble opinion, i'd rather not have either. I don't think its apples to oranges though, Universal was never in the business of preserving sight lines, whereas early Epcot made that a priority. Simply put, there shouldn't be a coaster in Epcot at all, thus eliminating the need to choose between a ugly box or an ugly track to look at.
ill go one further... Disney cared about sight lines, universal doesn't seem to. Although Epcot and Hollywood are so open it is harder to hide things than magic kingdom and animal kingdom.

lazyboy97o

Bioreconstruct
Those are not the only two options.

ill go one further... Disney cared about sight lines, universal doesn't seem to. Although Epcot and Hollywood are so open it is harder to hide things than magic kingdom and animal kingdom.
Except that Universal does care about sight lines. Epic Universe will have lands physically and visually isolated. The problem is that they are radically inconsistent on when they care and when they do not.

ppete1975

Except that Universal does care about sight lines. Epic Universe will have lands physically and visually isolated. The problem is that they are radically inconsistent on when they care and when they do not.
im not super up to date with universal im much more a disney fan. But i think they have been moving more towards a more immersive theme park thank they might have originally. It seems like now they want to build lands (harry potter, springfield) and bring in more immersion, than before when it felt they just threw in roller coasters or things wherever. Speaking of... one of the things i was most impressed seeing in attractions being built but when it was done i havent heard about it sense (was the ride that bad) was kong... the queue and outside facade looked amazing.. ive seen pov videos and it didnt seem bad at all.... but it seems forgotten.-

kurtk

What other options do you propose? Not building it at all like everyone else has said? That doesn't seem to be very likely now that they have built as much as they have. I guess they could have themed the building like some early rumors suggested but I think that would have drawn attention to it from across the park.

Hope this doesn't come across as confrontational because that is not my attempt.

lazyboy97o

im not super up to date with universal im much more a disney fan. But i think they have been moving more towards a more immersive theme park thank they might have originally. It seems like now they want to build lands (harry potter, springfield) and bring in more immersion, than before when it felt they just threw in roller coasters or things wherever. Speaking of... one of the things i was most impressed seeing in attractions being built but when it was done i havent heard about it sense (was the ride that bad) was kong... the queue and outside facade looked amazing.. ive seen pov videos and it didnt seem bad at all.... but it seems forgotten.-
This idea of coasters dropped everywhere at Universal is just not true. Hollywood Rip Ride Rock It was really the first and the new one the second. The Incredible Hulk Coaster was very specifically designed for its location, to be a hint of something but not dominate the lagoon and skyline.

What other options do you propose? Not building it at all like everyone else has said? That doesn't seem to be very likely now that they have built as much as they have. I guess they could have themed the building like some early rumors suggested but I think that would have drawn attention to it from across the park.

Hope this doesn't come across as confrontational because that is not my attempt.
There are plenty of options available. A unique building like Space Mountain or other Future World pavilions. Smaller building. Going down instead of up. Doing something more than a warehouse is kind of Imagineering’s job.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No

I agree with the plans for the new park, but historically, sight lines weren't really a priority, looking at you Rip tide.

UNCgolf

Bioreconstruct

I'm not a fan of giant exposed coasters and do not want them to ever exist at Disney, but there are already a couple at Universal. It's not something they've ever really cared about beyond the HP areas.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Me too. To be honest I’d have rather had the dark ride in the Discovery Centre than another launched coaster next to a launched coaster. Or are we spoilt?
I'd argue perfectionists rather than spoilt :joyfull:
I think a refined pallet is a better analogy. You can appreciate the subtle notes of something like a high-end truffle oil whereas the other 98% of the population is perfectly happy with McDonald's so McDonald's is what we get.

Rob562

Bioreconstruct

I realize this is veering off-topic, but here's a wide shot from Tim Tracker's most recent IOA video, showing the view from across the lake.

Screenshot_20200622-145936.png

The tallest track (still to be installed on the left) would only cover the JP River Adventure showbuilding. The track on the other side is complete and juuuuust below the level of Hogwarts. (Though with the visible Forbidden Journey show building, the castle really wasn't primarily designed to be seen from this angle).

My biggest gripe about the new coaster is how close it is to the back patio of the Three Broomsticks. It's going to kill the tranquil atmosphere back there.

As for Guardians, I fully agree that if they had built an architecturally interesting building that fit in with the other Future World buildings, we wouldn't be having a lot of these complaints.

[Edit: Just realized the blocking of the JPRA building isn't from this angle, but rather from Seuss/Lost Continent...]

-Rob

Last edited:

BubbaisSleep

I realize this is veering off-topic, but here's a wide shot from Tim Tracker's most recent IOA video, showing the view from across the lake.

View attachment 478522
My biggest gripe about the new coaster is how close it is to the back patio of the Three Broomsticks. It's going to kill the tranquil atmosphere back there.
-Rob
That’s the saddest part about expanding anything as I realize a lot of my favorite tranquil spots are there just because they haven’t been expanded upon yet. Still makes me sad though. They also killed my favorite tranquil spot on the other side of DC in Jurassic Park. The area with the 2 smaller ponds & usually had lots of lily pads and dragon flies. I hope the coaster is at least quiet from Three Broomsticks.

I am happy that they decided to keep the coaster track on the Three Broomsticks side lower than the rest of the ride. As others said, even though they’ve exposed this coaster doesn't mean it was just dropped somewhere. The fact that DC is framed in the middle perfectly and they knew to put the taller parts of the ride away from Potter shows how much planning went into this. Hopefully they’ll mask the bottom of the coaster & top hat with high rockwork and vegetation to help blend in the coaster.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I enjoyed Flight of Passage quite a bit the first time I rode, but felt that like many screen based rides it probably had a shelf life before needing an update. I've probably ridden it 15+ times now and I think it's growing on me even more. It's a very enjoyable experience.
Oh it’s not not enjoyable. I enjoy Small World too.

Magic Feather

My main gripe with both Guardians and the new Jurassic Coaster is that they both destroy the sense of scale of their surroundings. Epcot less so, but both park rely on forced perspective from a distance to make their icons and structures stand out, but now, when you have a giant blue box looming behind buildings, or giant black track sitting alongside some of IOA’s quainter structures, it really throws things off. While I’m sure the eventual foliage will at least help Jurassic a little bit, as it stands, both look out of place.

Movielover

The tallest track (still to be installed on the left) would only cover the JP River Adventure showbuilding. The track on the other side is complete and juuuuust below the level of Hogwarts. (Though with the visible Forbidden Journey show building, the castle really wasn't primarily designed to be seen from this angle).

One could argue that the exposed Forbidden Journey Building on that side fits in better with Jurassic Park (could just be another service building like the Water Treatment Facility theme of River Adventure's show building.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom