Rumor Stitch's Great Escape Replacement— Don’t Hold Your Breath

ppete1975

You know, I was actually looking over the history of Tomorrowland, and I never knew that George Lucas ,at one point, was asked for his version of a Tomorrowland that actually looked futuristic.
View attachment 475548
Now design wise, it does fit the name, "Tomorrowland", just as well as this concept which was made in the 50s, envisioning what it should look like.

View attachment 475549
All in all, i think the concepts that they have for these, really make me yearn for something like this now. Just based off these 2 concepts, (even the 50s one, which looks way ahead of its time) I hope influences what a new tomorrowland would look like. Although I'd love for Space mountain to stay there, I wish they could expand the area.
as long as the people mover is still there im happy (id even be ok...not happy but ok.. with new bodies) ... btw id rather have the pillars from the 70s than the ones in the drawing.... I really wonder if they regret destroying them.

aladdin2007

as long as the people mover is still there im happy (id even be ok...not happy but ok.. with new bodies) ... btw id rather have the pillars from the 70s than the ones in the drawing.... I really wonder if they regret destroying them.

That is one thing I always worry about. It was having so many problems before the parks closed constantly shutting down, cars bumping into each other, cones in seats..., I worry the bean counters will just say ax it.

DoleWhipDrea

That is one thing I always worry about. It was having so many problems before the parks closed constantly shutting down, cars bumping into each other, cones in seats..., I worry the bean counters will just say ax it.

IMHO, it’s too popular to axe. Disney wouldn’t be able to handle the public/social media backlash! Thankfully they keep releasing PeopleMover merchandise. Vote with your wallet. The bean counters understand that better than operations. I do hope it gets the maintenance it needs, though...

ppete1975

IMHO, it’s too popular to axe. Disney wouldn’t be able to handle the public/social media backlash! Thankfully they keep releasing PeopleMover merchandise. Vote with your wallet. The bean counters understand that better than operations. I do hope it gets the maintenance it needs, though...
hopefully the backlash from Disneyland removing theirs helps as well

DoleWhipDrea

hopefully the backlash from Disneyland removing theirs helps as well

Disneylanders still regularly talk about it, too. I can say that as someone that was an AP holder to the DLR for many years, the empty PeopleMover tracks have been a glaring sore spot and blight to an otherwise truly fantastic park. Tomorrowlands have always had their problems but IMHO, a PeopleMover truly ties the land together. Without it, it feels sad. Kinetic energy is so important, and the ride itself is meant to make you look forward what you will experience within the land itself (which perfectly reflects the inspiration of Tomorrowland itself - an exciting and positive outlook towards the future.)

That said, Tomorrowland needs far more than just the PeopleMover to be exciting. Having an unused show building like Stitch is a real shame. Whatever eventually replaces it, I truly hope it goes back to Tomorrowland’s original inspiration of a positive outlook on the future.

HiJe

Disneylanders still regularly talk about it, too. I can say that as someone that was an AP holder to the DLR for many years, the empty PeopleMover tracks have been a glaring sore spot and blight to an otherwise truly fantastic park. Tomorrowlands have always had their problems but IMHO, a PeopleMover truly ties the land together. Without it, it feels sad. Kinetic energy is so important, and the ride itself is meant to make you look forward what you will experience within the land itself (which perfectly reflects the inspiration of Tomorrowland itself - an exciting and positive outlook towards the future.)

That said, Tomorrowland needs far more than just the PeopleMover to be exciting. Having an unused show building like Stitch is a real shame. Whatever eventually replaces it, I truly hope it goes back to Tomorrowland’s original inspiration of a positive outlook on the future.

Whatever they put in the Stitch spot, it would be nice to have an original ride concept instead of another IP based attraction. I can't remember the last time a Non-IP attraction was added.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Whatever they put in the Stitch spot, it would be nice to have an original ride concept instead of another IP based attraction. I can't remember the last time a Non-IP attraction was added.

It's going to be difficult to put in a *ride*. Recall the size of the theater, there were two of them. That would be the total amount of space for a ride and maybe the pre-show lobby. If ever repurposed it would likely be another theater experience.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So hypothetically how big could they get that space without messing up the people mover? For instance if you take over Auntie Gravities and the (Merchant of Venus?) gift shop? Is it with in the realm of possibility to carve out space for a dark ride, albeit a small one?

Earlier in this thread...

I've scoped this out earlier and got similar numbers:

SGE: 18.4k sqft / .42 acres
Snacks and shops: 9k sqft / .2 acres
Total: 27.4k sqft / .64 acres

Peter Pan: 13.5 sqft / .31 acres

So, yeah, you could have a repeat of one of the shortest and lowest capacity dark rides in that space. ;)

For comparison, Buzz is .55 acres.

View attachment 285644

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
To be fair, Peter Pan used a unique vehicle type that required more clearance than a typical dark ride. A continuous omnimover, or coaster train would likely allow for higher capacity. Even the old-school dark rides like Mr Toad's Wild Ride or Snow White's Scary Adventure could work just fine in this space. I wouldn't rule it out, but do agree that a reworked theater is the most likely scenario. Any chance they could bring Timekeeper back!?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So hypothetically how big could they get that space without messing up the people mover? For instance if you take over Auntie Gravities and the (Merchant of Venus?) gift shop? Is it with in the realm of possibility to carve out space for a dark ride, albeit a small one?
Hypothetically you could get a decent busbar style ride in the building without touching Cosmic Rays. It’d take a lot of work but would be possible - though it would likely introduce a lot of blank walls on the outside. Possibly more effort than it’s worth before looking at other expansion areas first.

aladdin2007

Hypothetically you could get a decent busbar style ride in the building without touching Cosmic Rays. It’d take a lot of work but would be possible - though it would likely introduce a lot of blank walls on the outside. Possibly more effort than it’s worth before looking at other expansion areas first.

better than the ghetto paint job it has right now, just sayin :) I would love to see a dark ride in there but they cant even take care of Buzz.

rle4lunch

It really is amazing that the world’s most visited theme park has abandoned and underutilized dining, retail and attraction space.

True. What's also amazing is that a company that has so many resources and has been in business for over half a century doesn't have cash reserves and set asides for emergency situations like this. Closing for 3 months should be baked into any contingency plan.

I know money is spread everywhere, and it's hard for them to divert monies from one place to another... But I bet they bake something into their future emergency plans. (i.e. price increases, covid-surcharges, etc).

peter11435

True. What's also amazing is that a company that has so many resources and has been in business for over half a century doesn't have cash reserves and set asides for emergency situations like this. Closing for 3 months should be baked into any contingency plan.

I know money is spread everywhere, and it's hard for them to divert monies from one place to another... But I bet they bake something into their future emergency plans. (i.e. price increases, covid-surcharges, etc).
They absolutely do have contingency plans and cash for emergency situations. This situation was unprecedented and beyond anything anyone anywhere planned for or anticipated.

rle4lunch

They absolutely do have contingency plans and cash for emergency situations. This situation was unprecedented and beyond anything anyone anywhere planned for or anticipated.

Perhaps it was too big to foresee, but I just hope that them missing a quarter of revenue doesn't lead to us, the end user, having to feel the effects for the next 20 years (which I know is going to be the case). I'm sure they'll find some way to hide it into their fees. What I'd really like to know is where their government stimulus money is/has gone to. Not saying they'll be shady with what they put the money toward, but I doubt they'll be transparent either.

That said, we own DVC, so as long as our kids have interest in going, we'll go twice a year to WDW. I use military salute tickets for my family which is about a 40-50% savings off of regular ticket price, so that's a perk. But $6 for a coke or a churro, and having to book xxx months out for subpar food (which used to be walk-in at most TS until they falsely propped them up with ADR's and keeping guests hostage in one park per day due to FP+ ridiculously spreading our day out walking around for 2 hours between rides), my ROI dwindles every visit.

As for the Stitch topic, that space needs to be razed and redone. Along with a Buzz retheme whilst were at it.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom