News Walt Disney World's COVID-19 reopening plans announced - July 11

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Can we talk about the temperature checks. I had an experience today with temperature checks. My grandmother fell and had to be taken to the ER. I drove, in my air conditioned car, parked in the garage and walked 0.3 miles(I googled it) to get from my car to the entrance of the ER. It was 86 degrees and sunny. They scanned my forehead and it read that I was 100.3 degrees!? A 4 minute walk in the sun and I was reading a temperature. Now I know that my internal temp was normal and after a few minutes it started to go down. The nurse scanning in people said that this happens all the time. So I seriously question the accuracy of these temperature checks. How many people are going to read with a high temp and have to be "pulled aside" to hopefully have their skin cool down enough to be let in?

Medical grade temp readers are supposed to take into account the ambient temperature. If the temperature had been taken outside where it was warm, it would have given a lower reading. But since the temperature was taken inside where there is A/C, it registered your temperature as high.

The temp checks at the parks are taken outside, and so, they should adjust accordingly. If you happen to be over the threshold, they'll make you wait a bit in a cooling tent to see if it comes down. If you were simply warm or just exerted yourself, your body temperature will adjust downward. If you have a fever, it will remain high.

RYAN1987M

Just an FYI if anyone is interested...

We have a reservation for POFQ with Park Hopper Tickets & Free QSDP - check-in July 6th and check-out July 16th. The package was booked directly through Disney back in early January.

As Canadians, with the border still being closed and loads of uncertainty re travel insurance, we'll obviously be cancelling / postponing this trip (though, for what it's worth, we were intending to drive to FL this trip).

Anyways, I paid $200 USD as a deposit to secure the reservation back in January and I'm due to settle-up tomorrow (June 6th) and pay the balance of our reservation. To be honest, I've been stalling and have been waiting to see what Disney would do. I imagined that they'd cancel on us before we had to either choose to pay in full or cancel our reservation. I'm still going to wait until the end of the day today but I will be cancelling. On the website and app, our FP+ reservations were all cancelled but our free QSDP seems to remain.

Anyways, I just felt compelled to share this. I don't mean to complain as I'm sure Disney is inundated right now...but, as someone who works in tech, I was curious to wait until the bitter end just to see what the user experience would be like re the app and email comms.

danv3

That was mentioned in one of the Disney statements. I believe something about having shaded areas or areas to cool down before temps were taken. I'd prefer if it was all done at the resort before transportation. It would make the flow into the parks easier on arrival.

Whatever the (limited) value of temperature checks, if Disney isn't doing them before people get on transportation from the resorts, they're doing it wrong.

Gravydeen

We have a reservation for POFQ with Park Hopper Tickets & Free QSDP - check-in July 6th and check-out July 16th. The package was booked directly through Disney back in early January.

As Canadians, with the border still being closed and loads of uncertainty re travel insurance, we'll obviously be cancelling / postponing this trip (though, for what it's worth, we were intending to drive to FL this trip).

Anyways, I paid $200 USD as a deposit to secure the reservation back in January and I'm due to settle-up tomorrow (June 6th) and pay the balance of our reservation. To be honest, I've been stalling and have been waiting to see what Disney would do. I imagined that they'd cancel on us before we had to either choose to pay in full or cancel our reservation. I'm still going to wait until the end of the day today but I will be cancelling. On the website and app, our FP+ reservations were all cancelled but our free QSDP seems to remain.

Anyways, I just felt compelled to share this. I don't mean to complain as I'm sure Disney is inundated right now...but, as someone who works in tech, I was curious to wait until the bitter end just to see what the user experience would be like re the app and email comms.
We also have a July package where we paid the $200 deposit. Normally the full balance is due 30 days before your trip. I called and spoke with Disney this week and they told me they had changed it to 7 days before.

JohnD

Fortunately, yes it still shows. I was just taken aback a little bit by how abrupt and matter of fact the castmember I spoke with was. She made it sound like a done deal that anything other than DVC and the campgrounds would be canceled. I'm just nervous... airline tickets aren't cheap.

I would call the resort directly, then, to verify they have your reservation. Speaking of reservation, although you're a passholder, you'll still need to make a reservation for the parks. Since this is new to everyone, you may need to call WDW about that.

JohnD

Normally, another option would be to book for later out and they would hold your deposit or add on the difference. But you can't even do that right now. So, yeah, you'll have to cancel. Sorry.

PREMiERdrum

This seems relevant to share with the group:

As an agent, I have the week of July 26th booked for my family using an Agent Appreciation Rate at PORS. Since it's TA rate, this was booked as a ticketless package with dining. The dining plan is obviously being refunded (but hasn't yet), but I couldn't get a clear indication of our prospect for tickets in Disney's' various statements.

I just got off the phone with Dallas at the DTA call center. He said that limited ticket sales will be available before the park reservation system goes live, and that guests with existing hotel reservations would have priority access to ticket sales and park reservations. He also said we should expect to see more info "in the coming days."

So if you're like me and have a room booked this year but hadn't bought tickets yet, it looks like you'll be able to prior to the park reservation system opening.

YMMV.

Kingoglow

In regard to Disney's call agents saying "in the coming days," they may as well just say "later".
Expect to see more information later.

Hi guys,
I have a reservation for August 16th. I have checked my reservation and my Disney Dining Plan has been cancelled. In fact, the price of the reservation has been reduced. Additionally, all my dining reservations have been dropped out. I would like to know if I have Disney Dining Plan when I make my dining reservations again, that is, 60 days prior to my arrival.
Thank you so much for your help and I am looking forward to reading your comments soon.
Best regards,

wagamama

Hi guys,
I have a reservation for August 16th. I have checked my reservation and my Disney Dining Plan has been cancelled. In fact, the price of the reservation has been reduced. Additionally, all my dining reservations have been dropped out. I would like to know if I have Disney Dining Plan when I make my dining reservations again, that is, 60 days prior to my arrival.
Thank you so much for your help and I am looking forward to reading your comments soon.
Best regards,
No dining plans at least through the end of the year. The cost of your trip package decreased because you were credited back 35% of the room rate, in order to compensate for the cancellation of dining plans.

RYAN1987M

Well, I just put myself out of my misery. Cancelled the reservation and will now have $200 USD coming back to me...

SpiteriFam

I’m gutted that we had to cancel our trip today. Coming from the UK it may be that it would never have even been possible.

Whether or not we felt safe from an infection point of view, the diminished experience would not have justified the cost.

I’ll be fascinated to hear reports of what the start up will be like.

disneygeek90

I’m gutted that we had to cancel our trip today. Coming from the UK it may be that it would never have even been possible.

Whether or not we felt safe from an infection point of view, the diminished experience would not have justified the cost.

Sorry to hear that, when was your visit scheduled?

Red Wench

I am so sorry to hear you had to cancel. So many people even here in the States have been cancelling. I hope you will be able to reschedule a WDW vacation in the future real soon.

Jrb1979

Sorry to hear about your trip. The bright side even though it's not Disney the UK has some great theme parks. Not sure if you ever go to them.

SpiteriFam

Sorry to hear that, when was your visit scheduled?
We were flying on 14th August with a 7 day cruise then Beach Club. FWIW the cruise is still scheduled to sail, though one port has already confirmed it will stay shut.

For quite a while the optimist in me thought we’d be able to make it.

SpiteriFam

I am so sorry to hear you had to cancel. So many people even here in the States have been cancelling. I hope you will be able to reschedule a WDW vacation in the future real soon.
Thanks. Tbh I was given a price for next year and it was very expensive. For us to stay on site I’d personally want “Free” dining to be included again. Next years package rate was more than the 2020 holiday, despite not having the DP.

I wonder whether the plan is to keep prices high for a while, whilst they figure out when they want to put in prices that will encourage bigger crowds.

SpiteriFam

Sorry to hear about your trip. The bright side even though it's not Disney the UK has some great theme parks. Not sure if you ever go to them.
You’re right, we do have a lot of good days out and of course none are too far away in relative terms. Might need to do a few extra domestic weekends away

oceanbreeze77

If things go the way epidemiologists predict, I'm thinking WDW may not open when they say they will. I say this for a few reasons:

Look at the current spike in the "REOPEN" states.

Memorial Day crowd spikes are starting to materialize and have about 2 weeks left to show us the results.

We will have a spike from the protests which will show up in 2-4 weeks.

But, WDW is not important here, I'm nervous for the health of our country and its hospitals.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom