The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

epcotisbest

Serious question, being from Georgia, do you just not even think about the bears or snakes while hiking?

I’m not scared of the ocean at all. I take precautions of course, no jewelry, no bright suits when I’m in areas where I now have a lot of sharks and barracuda, but I’m rarely nervous... but wow, I never full relaxed on some of the trails in GA.. I was always looking out for a snake or bear.

I guess snakes and bears (and spiders, don't forget the spiders, oh and ticks) here are kinda like the ocean for you. Yeah, there are sharks, jellyfish, man-o-war, seasnakes and lots of others creepy things you just don't see.
I am fascinated by bears. Here are some we saw in the Smokies awhile back. We just stayed quiet and watched the mama and her two cubs. I snapped a couple of pics but otherwise stayed quiet and they just ignored us.

Picture13.jpg

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I guess snakes and bears (and spiders, don't forget the spiders, oh and ticks) here are kinda like the ocean for you. Yeah, there are sharks, jellyfish, man-o-war, seasnakes and lots of others creepy things you just don't see.
I am fascinated by bears. Here are some we saw in the Smokies awhile back. We just stayed quiet and watched the mama and her two cubs. I snapped a couple of pics but otherwise stayed quiet and they just ignored us.

View attachment 474476

On trails back home we had to contend with cougars. I loved when we saw them. Scary but majestic 😍😍

donaldtoo

Everyone's tolerance level is different. People here always kid me about my love for cold weather, but my body reacts extremely well in colder climate. :joyfull:

In the summer, I am miserable in hot weather, and do everything I can on hot, humid days to not even go outside, when possible. To me, having A/C in summer, is as important as having heat, if it's bitter cold temperatures in winter. (Also, pipes freeze if the temps go too low, so heat in a building or house is essential.)

Indeed...!!! :)
I still can’t wait for my triple digits...!!!!! :happy::hilarious::happy:

21stamps

I would be so scared. I think this is maybe me being old now.
I went scuba diving in the middle of the night, in dark water, looking for a stray crocodile (extremely stupid, and there was alcohol involved)
I’ve dove with whale sharks and hammerheads... but I don’t know what it is lately, I get scared of a lot more. Especially when I’m with T. Not scared to where I won’t do something, but always keeping an eye out and never fully relaxed on the trails in GA, although I loved it. I also have a new stupid fear of heights.. but I keep fighting thru that. I’d say this started in the last 2 years, maybe a little bit less.

I don’t think this will apply to scuba diving though..T will be a diver ( he doesn’t have a choice ;) ), and I’ve been waiting for the years when he’s finally old enough. I think I’mcomfortable enough that these new weird fears wouldn’t creep in to that.

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

I would be so scared. I think this is maybe me being old now.
I went scuba diving in the middle of the night, in dark water, looking for a stray crocodile (extremely stupid, and there was alcohol involved)
I’ve dove with whale sharks and hammerheads... but I don’t know what it is lately, I get scared of a lot more. Especially when I’m with T. Not scared to where I won’t do something, but always keeping an eye out and never fully relaxed on the trails in GA, although I loved it. I also have a new stupid fear of heights.. but I keep fighting thru that. I’d say this started in the last 2 years, maybe a little bit less.

I don’t think this will apply to scuba diving though..T will be a diver ( he doesn’t have a choice ;) ), and I’ve been waiting for the years when he’s finally old enough. I think I’mcomfortable enough that these new weird fears wouldn’t creep in to that.
My dad this past December was riding bikes with B in South Carolina when they saw an alligator by the side of the water where they are. My wise little brother stayed very far away from it. And what did my 59-year-old (now 60) father do? Went back and had a look from three feet away? 🤦

I told him he did two stupid things that day. First, he went to get a better look at an alligator, and not a little one either. And then second, he told his wife about it.

21stamps

My dad this past December was riding bikes with B in South Carolina when they saw an alligator by the side of the water where they are. My wise little brother stayed very far away from it. And what did my 59-year-old (now 60) father do? Went back and had a look from three feet away? 🤦

I told him he did two stupid things that day. First, he went to get a better look at an alligator, and not a little one either. And then second, he told his wife about it.

Oh no! I think the second mistake may have been worse than the first. ;)

wdwfan4ver

Everyone's tolerance level is different. People here always kid me about my love for cold weather, but my body reacts extremely well in colder climate. :joyfull:

In the summer, I am miserable in hot weather, and do everything I can on hot, humid days to not even go outside, when possible. To me, having A/C in summer, is as important as having heat, if it's bitter cold temperatures in winter. (Also, pipes freeze if the temps go too low, so heat in a building or house is essential.)
I am usually an air conditioning person during summer.

Right now, Wisconsin has been hotter than it usually is for early June, but it is going to be make in the mid 60s on Saturday and Sunday.

While most of my WDW trips happen in the summer, my body is not the best in the 90s or higher and does not enjoy that weather. I
like taking afternoon breaks in hotel room outside of keep drinking fluids when I am at WDW.

The way Disney is handling the parks right now, makes taking breaks very difficult considering they are limiting amount guests in a park. I can not blame Disney because the last thing needed is a big outbreak in a theme park.

donaldtoo

Woah... did anyone else see that they decided to postpone the refurb of Spaceship earth and that it's going to reopen with Epcot on July 15th?

They need to refurb it back to the Walter Cronkite version, IMHO (although, we really loved the Jeremy Irons version, as well)...!!! ;)
Also, refurb the last scene in CoP back to the original 1960’s scene, so the timeline makes actual sense. Make it how it was meant to be, as the original attraction had nothing to do with progress beyond the mid-ish 60’s...!!!!! :)

Songbird76

Do you live in what they call over here as a Tiny house?

Ha! No, but our house is a pretty standard row house here, which are small by American standards. Our Master bedroom is just barely big enough for a queen size bed and our nightstands, a dresser each, and a large armoir. We couldn't put a king size bed in here if we wanted to. E's bedroom is slightly smaller than ours, and then A's room is barely big enough for a single bed and a dresser. He's got about a foot and a half of space between the bed and the dresser. We have wall to wall windows, which significantly reduces the amount of space for extra things. The heater is under the window, so you can't put anything in front of that, and that's in every single room in the house except for the kitchen and the downstairs toilet, which is basically just in a small closet and doesn't have a heater in it at all. And we have all the storage already full, so an airco unit would have to stay wherever we put it, all year round. So it would have to go in front of the armoir where we'd have to move it every day to get clothes out. It's just not practical.

Lilofan

I am usually an air conditioning person during summer.

Right now, Wisconsin has been hotter than it usually is for early June, but it is going to be make in the mid 60s on Saturday and Sunday.

While most of my WDW trips happen in the summer, my body is not the best in the 90s or higher and does not enjoy that weather. I
like taking afternoon breaks in hotel room outside of keep drinking fluids when I am at WDW.

The way Disney is handling the parks right now, makes taking breaks very difficult considering they are limiting amount guests in a park. I can not blame Disney because the last thing needed is a big outbreak in a theme park.
I remember someone from MN which had seasons. Winter, Almost Winter and July and almost little need for AC.

Songbird76

E is back to school today for the first time. Monday was a holiday, Tuesday the first 3 years of students met with their mentors about the new regulations and which days they would come to school, etc, and yesterday the last 3 years of students did the same. E is in group A. They divided each class into 3 groups so there are no more than 11 kids in a group, and they alternate days. So E goes today, then next week she'll go Tuesday and Friday, the next week only Wednesday. They only have something like 6 weeks left anyway. But her group is just 6 people, and it's her whole friend group, so that's cool. She won't have any of the annoying distracting kids in her group. I still wonder how many kids will be held back, though. She thinks one of her friends almost surely won't go through to next year and another might be a "Discussion case" (meaning they need to discuss with the parents and the student with the teachers to decide whether or not she can succeed next year or should go back). There are a bunch who haven't shown up for lessons on the video calls, and who haven't done the homework, etc. Since effort is a major component this year because they can't do testing for their grades, I imagine her class next year might be a lot smaller. She and one of her other friends have the highest grades in the class, and 2 others were passing for sure before this all started, and have turned in all the homework and shown up for class, so they should all be ok.

A is back at school twice a week, but doing his work online just like he does from home. It seems a bit odd to me, but whatever works. He has 8 kids in his class, so he's in a group of 4 right now. (There was a 9th kid, but I guess he's going to a different school now) So we're slowly returning to normal. Elementary kids start back full time and in full classes next week. I'm guessing, based on that, that high schools will go back to regular schooling after the Summer vacation. We shall see.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom