News Walt Disney World's COVID-19 reopening plans announced - July 11

Herdman

Disney cracks me up. We had reservations at San Angel (don't judge; it's what they wanted), Yak and Yeti (ditto), Skipper Canteen, Le Cellier, and 'Ohana. 'Ohana disappeared right away. Y&Y disappeared and then came back. Now Skipper Canteen is gone. The other two haven't budged so far. How much sense does that make?🤣
Can't answer about Y&Y coming back, but I think it's pretty practical that they are doing the cancelations by Restaurant, not by person. All but 4 of ours are gone now.

Herdman

This might be old news at this point but I confirmed with some friends "on the ground" in Orlando that mask coverings are not required if you have a beverage. What they're seeing at Disney Springs is people buying a drink at Starbucks and then carrying it around with them as a prop but never actually drinking it so they don't have to put their masks on.
I had no doubt that would happen. It's totally legit for people, myself included, to almost constantly have a bottle of water in their hand as they tour the parks in the summer. They are going to have a hard time telling people to put their mask on when the response will be - "I'm drinking my water", "I'm eating my pretzel". It's going to continue.

pdude81

I had no doubt that would happen. It's totally legit for people, myself included, to almost constantly have a bottle of water in their hand as they tour the parks in the summer. They are going to have a hard time telling people to put their mask on when the response will be - "I'm drinking my water", "I'm eating my pretzel". It's going to continue.
Water sure, but do you think they'll be selling pretzels and popcorn? I don't

disneygeek90

Now both places on entrance (when you got your temperature taken) everyone had to have a mask on, but beyond that.... Again, however, probably 85% - 90% of people were wearing a mask.
Which is definitely a higher percentage wearing than if they were “recommended.”

I saw a CM tell a group of 4 to all put their masks on yesterday. I hope that they’ll get more used to this process and it goes on, and feel more comfortable enforcing.

DreamalittleDisney

If you’re not on site there’s no way to charge via the band. I always felt it would be an additional “use” for it. Right now if you’re not a resort guest all it’s really used for is entry and fast passes.
Heard on Tim Trackers latest video that it was implied to him on call from Disbey that they would be changing this so that all guests could use a direct charge with a a magic band method

Lilofan

Maybe not, that was just an example. It doesn't matter what the snack or drink is, people will carry it around to try and get araound the mask use.
If anything wearing a mask would perhaps not make me buy a Mickey bar or a Turkey leg. One is high in sugar and saturated fat and the other one contains massive amounts of sodium. I can see food sales dwindling because it's too much of a hassle.

DisneyCane

Which is definitely a higher percentage wearing than if they were “recommended.”

I saw a CM tell a group of 4 to all put their masks on yesterday. I hope that they’ll get more used to this process and it goes on, and feel more comfortable enforcing.

I'd consider that "reminding" the group. The question is, what type of enforcement would be done if the group didn't comply or put them on and then removed them 2 minutes later? Would they really go to the extreme of getting security or a police officer to eject them from DS?

If anything wearing a mask would perhaps not make me buy a Mickey bar or a Turkey leg. One is high in sugar and saturated fat and the other one contains massive amounts of sodium. I can see food sales dwindling because it's too much of a hassle.
Why would a mask factor into the decision on whether or not to buy either of those as opposed to a healthy food? They aren't any less healthy now.

CaptainAmerica

This is not true. In the Disney Springs opening information they clearly stated that if you had a beverage or snack and were walking around you could pull your mask down while biting the food or sipping the drink but it had to be immediately replaced. You cannot just walk around all day with a drink cup and no mask. The reports that I have seen from DS all said that masks were being enforced. If that type of behavior starts up Disney could very easily change the rule to no walking around with food or even delay the park opening. I have no desire to be in a theme park with a mask on, but that’s the rule so if you want to go you have to follow it. Advocating people attempting to skirt the rules is just going to ruin this for the people who want to go and are willing to follow the rules.
I'm not "advocating" anything, I'm just sharing what some friends told me.

robhedin

I guess I just have a different definition of “lots of people” or “plenty of people”. If 90% are following the rules I would define those who aren’t as a very small minority of morons. Maybe it’s just semantics but for someone reading this thread and deciding what to do when they arrive at WDW, hearing that lots of people aren’t wearing masks probably only encourages similar behavior.
I don’t necessarily disagree...but I was disputing the “enforcement” comment. I saw no one- not security, not the cast in the yellow and black, not custodial, etc doing anything to enforce the policy except at the entrance. I did see most masks come off as soon as people got back to the parking lot and not put on the mask until they got to temperature check. Masks were definitely in the minority outside of DS, CW, and KSC. when I stopped by the gift shop at Gatorland to buy one of the alligator face coverings (they were out), the girl at the entrance said that masks were not required but were recommended and about half the people inside werent wearing them.

Jimdalva

QUOTE: My resort stay starts 7/6 and is still listed as such. I'm guessing I won't hear much from Disney about my specific options until late June, but I'm so curious as to what happens next.

We also have a July 6 res. at Boardwalk. As a DVC Resort it will open in June before the parks, my fear is they won't move my res because Boardwalk will be open.

pdude81

QUOTE: My resort stay starts 7/6 and is still listed as such. I'm guessing I won't hear much from Disney about my specific options until late June, but I'm so curious as to what happens next.

We also have a July 6 res. at Boardwalk. As a DVC Resort it will open in June before the parks, my fear is they won't move my res because Boardwalk will be open.

If you have a DVC stay in early July and the parks aren't open yet then there isn't anything for them to contact you about, right?

nickys

Premium Member

Is your reservation at the Boardwalk Villas or the hotel side Boardwalk Inn? As yet thee is no opening date for the non DVC resorts bar Fort Wilderness.

If it’s at the villas they won’t do anything because the villas will be open. If it’s at the Boardwalk Inn and it isn’t open I guess they may offer you a DVC room but I would expect them to simply cancel. Just because the DVC part of the resort is open doesn’t mean the rest of it will be.

nickys

Premium Member
Sorry to ask a question that may have been dealt with earlier, I’ve only got to page 62 in the thread, but if I was an annual pass holder, living in the U.K. would it be reasonable to expect an extension until I was at least allowed to enter the USA irrespective of when the clock started for pass holders who could travel immediately. To be honest I’m not an AP at Disney but bought six for Universal last year and was due to be arriving in Florida on Sunday. I do know AP holders for WDW in the U.K. and am trying to do some research on their behalf. Any thoughts, opinions or facts would be much appreciated.
It would be reasonable to ask if they would consider an extension to the AP. But not reasonable to simply expect it. They may offer to help but I wouldn’t hold my breath. Thee are still areas in the US where people either have to quarantine in Florida when they arrive or in their home state when they return.

CaptainAmerica

@The Mom, post: 9236985
WDW will be reopening, Covid-19 will still be around for a while, and masks will be required. Whether or not masks are effective, people will obey the rules, masks will be too uncomfortable, etc are moot points. So please limit discussion to what is actually happening - not "what ifs?"​
Sorry but this is BS. This conversation started with me sharing an anecdote from ACTUAL cast members who are on the ground at Disney Springs CURRENTLY. It then flowed naturally from there, and I'm including the people who disagree with me.

This insistence that conversations are forbidden from flowing organically and need to remain 100% precisely within the exact verbatim rules that the moderators infer from the thread title is ridiculous and it's not how any other forum I participate in operates.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom