The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I watched it on a YouTube live feed on my iPhone and also on the Weather Channel on our living room TV...I was not gonna’ miss this today...!!!!!!! :hilarious:

I also had it on my phone as well (Interesting that there was about 4-5 second delay in the coverage on YouTube, via the phone, versus 100% "live" on CSPAN.) Yet, it was the same NASA TV group video on both, so I found the delay on the phone oddly interesting.

Anyway, I watched it on CSPAN for the bigger TV screen, but kept it on my phone, only because I wanted to add to the numbers of people watching. Really felt it was important to give this launch as much coverage as possible to show support in numbers. 🙂

FutureCEO

I was so proud of the protestors in Cincinnati yesterday.. they were not destructive, they marched, once blocked the highway, but it was relatively peaceful. Then, shortly after 11pm, more people came out, and that’s when the crowd started getting destructive. I think 12 businesses had their windows broken, a few looted. Luckily no fires, other than in a dumpster.
Peaceful protestors are out again today, hopefully the bad element doesn’t come back tonight.

However, Columbus crowds have been a lot more destructive.

I don't understand looting or setting things on fire but hey. People do it when they celebrate/protest everything it seems like.

Goofyernmost

I have a question, but more of a concern. Since the lockdown happened, The VA hospitals and clinics have basically shut down. They, to my knowledge are still fully staffed (a good thing) but, all they are doing right now is taking care of emergency's. We have a hospital in Durham that contains many clinics, but all are closed. We have branch clinics fully staffed (again a good thing) that aren't open for business. We also have a Pandemic and unless they are keeping it a secret have no Corona Tests available to the general veteran clientele. The clinics have staff on hand and are able to administer the tests, but so far nothing. So us older vet's must remain in a state of not knowing if they are infected or not and can only get care when symptoms become bad enough to go to the Emergency room. Seems like a very poor system that is only reactive and not in anyway proactive. I'm not angry, just disappointed. I'd love to know if myself and my family are virus free so I can see them at least. If all, or one of us isn't clean of the virus, this complete isolation would at least seem necessary. I can understand a place the size of NYC, but with all the massive hospitals in the state of NC, there are only 600 hospitalized (and that is the highest it has been).

Goofyernmost

I don't understand looting or setting things on fire but hey. People do it when they celebrate/protest everything it seems like.
It is a very small portion of protesters that are looting and setting fire to things (and it is impossible to know their motivation these days, some have a very understandable reason for their anger). The news, having to meet some obligation to inform do not differentiate between the good and the bad. They can only have limited numbers of words, mostly one syllable for the challenged among us, so the story is PROTESTERS LOOT AND SET BUILDINGS ON FIRE. All are folded into the same thing, when nothing could be further from the truth. Also when someone is protesting a very legitimate cause there will also be a group of opposing views (just look at some of the incredibly foolish verbal tussles that happen even on a Disney Discussion Board) they may even be the ones that are setting fire to make the others look bad, or throwing the proverbial first punch. People that agree do not fight each other. It takes more then one story to be told to understand what is happening.

Rista1313

Thanks, we live far enough away that we should be safe. I know quite a few people thought that work in Minneapolis/St. Paul so I'm worried about that. A friend of mine has a brother-in-law that is a Minneapolis Police Officer, it must be so nerve wracking for their family. The Arboretum we are members of is in the southern metro area and not close to the area the rioting has been going on so we felt safe going there. On the drive there this morning we could see smoke from the fires though. A couple weeks ago B and I had talked about going to eat at a deli we really like in Minneapolis but it was a no go for us today. We actually didn't even plan to drive through St. Paul but road construction on the route that avoided it would have made the drive about 45 minutes longer than normal. To say watching all of this so close is a bummer is a huge understatement. I guess I'm just a little naive and I wish everyone could just get along.

I'm so heart broken by all the people who think rioting and looting is the answer. Our city was suppose to have a peaceful protest last night which resulted in damage, looting, rioting, and fires. Our beautiful city took a huge hit last night, and I'm so devastated.

Songbird76

Rollerblades were my recreation/exercise of choice back when our kiddos were younger. Their elementary school had skate nights at a local skating rink every month, and I skated ‘round our hood a lot. Loved those things, and it was fun, low impact exercise...unless, of course, you plopped...!!!!! :hilarious: Which I did very rarely during that time. I still have a pair that the kiddos gave me a few years back, but, I’d need to lose a bit of tonnage before I got back on ‘em...!!!!! :hilarious:
But, again, I really loved rollerblading...!!!!! :inlove::)
I've never tried the rollerblades, but I always had a pair of rollerskates growing up, and they got used a LOT!!! I loved them! I preferred that to riding a bike, so my best friend would get her mom's tenspeed, and she'd ride that while I skated along side. Good times!

Songbird76

Yep. As I said a bunch of pages back, my son could be a member of The Beach Boys, Monkees, or The Beetles right now.
Also found out from my neighbor that the owner of the salon we use will fire any of the hairdressers who give haircuts at homes. What a tyrant.
How will they know? They have Private Investigators tailing all their employees?

Songbird76

Hey all! I hope everyone is doing well and staying healthy and sane. It’s been 2 years and 2500+ pages since I dropped in. Those who don’t remember me, Hello! Nice to meet you! Those who do, sorry I’ve been away so long. Love to you all.
Only 2 years?? I've only ever seen you in the TRs! But nice to see you here in a different area! I hope you'll be visiting more regularly!

StarWarsGirl

Hey all! I hope everyone is doing well and staying healthy and sane. It’s been 2 years and 2500+ pages since I dropped in. Those who don’t remember me, Hello! Nice to meet you! Those who do, sorry I’ve been away so long. Love to you all.
Has it really been that long? Could have sworn I've seen you around other parts.

Anyway, welcome back. Feel free to drop in at any point and join in with whatever we're talking about.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I'm so heart broken by all the people who think rioting and looting is the answer. Our city was suppose to have a peaceful protest last night which resulted in damage, looting, rioting, and fires. Our beautiful city took a huge hit last night, and I'm so devastated.

It's all very sad. I'm all for peaceful protests

Everything bagel in the dough, and also topped with it before baking.

That bread looked so good. I wish I could have had a hunk of it warm with lots of butter!

21stamps

On a positive note, a flower on each of my hibiscus trees is now in bloom. :)

7AE1197C-9C01-4C12-BA56-26C9B15AA0B5.jpeg

Garden is completely planted, along with 7 container plants. 6 have already died in the garden. I have to clean up today., while trying to convince myself that it’s really not that bad to go another year without a new deck. #thanksrona

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Hi and welcome back!
Only 2 years?? I've only ever seen you in the TRs! But nice to see you here in a different area! I hope you'll be visiting more regularly!
Has it really been that long? Could have sworn I've seen you around other parts.

Anyway, welcome back. Feel free to drop in at any point and join in with whatever we're talking about.

Yup, I've posted some trip reports and the occasional comment in other discussions, but haven't spent a whole lot of time on the wdwmagic, which meant I couldn't really get sucked into the discussions here! Obviously, got a little more time on my hands than expected now and these discussions are really welcome (mainly as a distraction from the discussions elsewhere about whether the things I teach will still be taught at all in the fall).

Back in January, I took 103 kids to WDW on a band/orchestra trip and we had an awesome time. One of my colleagues was scheduled to leave for WDW on 3/13 with all of his kids. Of course, that was the day that Maryland closed down schools. I can't even imagine (and he and I have talked a lot about it). And ever since his text to me the morning of 3/12 (he actually got word about the closure before it was announced) the world has been pretty upside down.

I skimmed through a random smattering of pages yesterday and am glad to see many familiar folks and some chats and discussions on a wide variety of topics! Hope everyone has a great Sunday and is staying safe and healthy!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
On a positive note, a flower on each of my hibiscus trees is now in bloom. :)

Garden is completely planted, along with 7 container plants. 6 have already died in the garden. I have to clean up today., while trying to convince myself that it’s really not that bad to go another year without a new deck. #thanksrona

This is the first time in 20 years that our garden is actually in really good shape! Coincidentally, it's been 20 years since we moved into this house. Wish we could get hibiscus to grow here - so beautiful!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom