News Expose reveals WDC control in online fan community

Animaniac93-98

How do you find these people?

If you move your cursor over a member's name it will show a box with some stats like join date and post count. :)

I do it out of curiosity when I see a "new member" who posts something that I consider odd or inflammatory.

Someone's status as a "New Member" on this site is based on post count. You could have joined years ago, but it you've made less than 10 posts, you would still be considered a new member.

EDIT: This is not to say that there should be a threshold for posts in order for a member to be taken seriously. It's totally fine if you've joined and just make on average, a couple posts a year for example. Or if you have joined in the last few weeks or months and want to participate. Some of us are obviously more invested in discussions than others (maybe too much? lol).

But joining years ago and not having anything to say, or any question to ask until now? That's weird IMO. Not necessarily trolling, market research or the result of hacking, but just odd to me.

Last edited:

TP2000

I agree that they would have had a larger audience on a message board 20 years ago. But these boards are constantly mined by the bloggers and YouTubers for "inside" information. This site is the "source" for so. much. content. If you wanted to shape public opinion about, say, how Disney is handling its Coronavirus response/reopening, reinforcing the more extreme opinions on both sides of the argument might be a good way to stir the pot.

I guess, but I'm still struck by it being such an inefficient and ineffective way to "influence" someone considering a WDW vacation.... Disney CM's posting puffery on legacy message boards filled with longtime fans, so that superfan bloggers desperate for new content and revenue clicks pick up that info and then run with it on their smarmy YouTube channels?

Why wouldn't Disney's PR department just reach out to those YouTubers and Instagramers directly? Those blogger/grammer people are by their very definition easy to influence with a few freebies and ego stroking by Disney. That already happens via inviting them to preview parties and media events, where they get big heads by being shoved onto the press riser next to the journalist from the LA Times and then get free well drinks and cheap red wine poured down their throats all night. They've hit the big time! :rolleyes:

In this surreal current situation, Disney's PR team could just send out a media package of freebies and hotel vouchers and swag to them, and those YouTubers would begin gushing about whatever TDO came up with. Why would you need to hassle with paid shills on a message board aimed at fans who are already emotionally and financially invested in the place?

I just can't see how that would make sense to anyone in TDO or Burbank, or why they would bother with it for a tiny sliver of the fan base. Even in this current surreal situation where Disney's theme parks have been closed for months and all the fans are chomping at the bit to get back to them.

Last edited:

_caleb

I guess, but I'm still struck by it being such an inefficient and ineffective way to "influence" someone considering a WDW vacation.... Disney CM's posting on legacy message boards filled with longtime fans, so that superfan bloggers desperate for new content pick up that info and then run with it on their smarmy YouTube channels?

Why wouldn't Disney's PR department just reach out to those YouTubers and Instagramers directly? Those blogger/grammer people are by their very definition easy to influence with a few freebies and ego stroking by Disney. That already happens via inviting them to preview parties and media events, where they get big heads by being shoved onto the press riser next to the journalist from the LA Times and then get free well drinks and cheap red wine poured down their throats all night. They've hit the big time! :rolleyes:

In this bizarre current situation, Disney's PR team could just send out a media package of freebies and hotel vouchers and swag to them, and those YouTubers would begin gushing about whatever TDO came up with. Why would you need to hassle with paid shills on a message board aimed at fans who are already emotionally and financially invested in the place?

I just can't see how that would make sense to anyone in TDO or Burank, or why they would bother with it for a tiny sliver of the fan base. Even in this current bizarre situation where Disney's theme parks have been closed for months and all the fans are chomping at the bit to get back to them.
I agree that Disney's PR team would likely just reach out directly to the bloggerati. The Disney Moms Panel is a good example of this.

But this thread (from back in October of last year) wasn't about Disney's official PR efforts. It was about a smaller, unofficial operation that began by using "Al Lutz's" articles and then moved into message boards and such to influence the fan base, starting with the ubernerds superfans (like me). Not terribly efficient, but I find it to be fairly effective.

Ravenclaw78

If you move your cursor over a member's name it will show a box with some stats like join date and post count. :)

I do it out of curiosity when I see a "new member" who posts something that I consider odd or inflammatory.

Someone's status as a "New Member" on this site is based on post count. You could have joined years ago, but it you've made less than 10 posts, you would still be considered a new member.

EDIT: This is not to say that there should be a threshold for posts in order for a member to be taken seriously. It's totally fine if you've joined and just make on average, a couple posts a year for example. Or if you have joined in the last few weeks or months and want to participate. Some of us are obviously more invested in discussions than others (maybe too much? lol).

But joining years ago and not having anything to say, or any question to ask until now? That's weird IMO. Not necessarily trolling, market research or the result of hacking, but just odd to me.
Ehh, I lurked here for around 5 years before creating an account so I could actually post. Doesn't surprise me if others created accounts to lurk with but never had an interest in responding or posting until they got stuck at home for months with nothing better to do with their time than rant about masks on Disney message boards. I'm certain that forum manipulation happens (maybe less than it used to, maybe more) and there probably are bots and sock puppet accounts still on WDWMagic, but it doesn't feel like that's what's going on this time.

_caleb

I do this too! Maybe these "New Members" (as @flynnibus suggested) have all gone from lurking to comment-storming because they're stuck at home during the pandemic (and, apparently all hopped up on cable news). I could see that being the case.

_caleb

Hey, @the.dreamfinder, let's say--theoretically-- that you wanted to fan the flames of frustration among the fans. Maybe you wanted to help Universal look really good coming out of the COVID closure. How would you, in theory, go about doing it?

TP2000

@TP2000 @_caleb Don’t forget how all web forums attract fans as well as highly defensive line-level employees and unreasonably loyal fanboys. If you think Disney forums are nuts, you should wander into video game or Apple boards.

Well, that's a good point. And I'm sure there are plenty of CM's on these boards who cheerlead or criticize their employer either blatantly as a CM or anonymously pretending to not be a CM.

I mean, my God, Disney theme parks are the largest single site employer in both states they are in; California and Florida. So you can't have 100,000 employees and not expect at least a few thousand to go online and cheerlead or criticize. Especially the younger ones. Especially after they've had a few drinks. 🥳

But I just can't wrap my head around a purposeful and planned system in which TDO pays CM's to "steer conversations" online for the bizarrely inefficient purpose of trying to woo customers and give YouTubers blogging from their basement new content for more clicks.

If TDO and TDA want to woo a hundred or so smarmy lifestyle YouTubers (a minor hassle in modern marketing), just send them a box of t-shirts and toys and hotel vouchers and cut out the middle man. If TDO and TDA want to woo 30 Million or so customers back to the re-opened parks (a major headache in modern marketing now), a splashy TV special and snazzy commercials paired with discounts and ticketing gimmicks and super-sanitized health theater would seem the way to do it.

But planting subversive suggestions on an old legacy message board Original Legendary Message Board in an attempt to "steer conversations" and influence others? It just seems like a monumental waste of time and resources for such a tiny, tiny benefit that is almost impossible to track and quantify.

What am I missing here???

Last edited:

the.dreamfinder

Well, that's a good point. And I'm sure there are plenty of CM's on these boards who cheerlead or criticize their employer either blatantly as a CM or anonymously pretending to not be a CM.

I mean, my God, Disney theme parks are the largest single site employer in both states they are in; California and Florida. So you can't have 100,000 employees and not expect at least a few thousand to go online and cheerlead or criticize. Especially the younger ones. Especially after they've had a few drinks. 🥳

But I just can't wrap my head around a purposeful and planned system in which TDO pays CM's to "steer conversations" online for the bizarrely inefficient purpose of trying to woo customers and give YouTubers blogging from their basement new content for more clicks.

If TDO and TDA want to woo a hundred or so smarmy lifestyle YouTubers (a minor hassle in modern marketing), just send them a box of t-shirts and toys and hotel vouchers and cut out the middle man. If TDO and TDA want to woo 30 Million or so customers back to the re-opened parks (a major headache in modern marketing now), a splashy TV special and snazzy commercials paired with discounts and ticketing gimmicks and super-sanitized health theater would seem the way to do it.

But planting subversive suggestions on an old legacy message board Original Legendary Message Board in an attempt to "steer conversations" and influence others? It just seems like a monumental waste of time and resources for such a tiny, tiny benefit that is almost impossible to track and quantify.

What am I missing here???
1. Search Engines and Trusted Sources
As Steve has noted traffic here is way down due to the closure. He would know, but more likely than not most of this site’s traffic comes from non forum members referred to this site through google. Things like park hours, restaurant menu, construction updates and the like. As users keep landing here for the basic information this site provides, perhaps they click through to the forum for deeper insights. Site becomes a trusted information source. May not be the biggest single place where Disney is discussed on the Internet these days, but trust matters. There is quite a bit of upside to carefully steering the conversation on a site that’s seen as an authority over say, YouTube or Instagram or Facebook comments.

2. Cost
Disney is well known for not paying well in Orlando for entry level office jobs, especially in Florida. The cost to Disney to operate such an influence campaign is comprable to say sending mommy bloggers and vloggers on comped Disney Cruises or grand opening or meetups given the scale of the moms panel these days.

Ever wonder what “reputation management” sites do? It’s an army of low paid workers scrubbing/attacking criticism or praising their client(s). These services are readily available and affordable for most organizations. That’s what Disney is doing internally, with the help of free volunteers too.

Heck, you haven’t worked for the company since January 2019 and you’re still pushing for the agendas of individuals within the company, for free!

the.dreamfinder

Hey, @the.dreamfinder, let's say--theoretically-- that you wanted to fan the flames of frustration among the fans. Maybe you wanted to help Universal look really good coming out of the COVID closure. How would you, in theory, go about doing it?
Not accusing anyone of anything but the following is the message they would want to get out.
1590787212955.png

You frame the conversation on your terms.

Despite their wreckless behavior by opening way too early, without proper reservation controls to limit rushes on the parks, the conversation is turned into a UNI v Disney fight. Disney could counter by saying UNI is putting being open over public health, but they’re not doing that. They’ve put the onus on Disney and the theme park fan community thinks Disney caved, which isn’t entirely true since July was their target, under the right circumstances.

For now Universal is winning the perception war, but the actual opening could be disastrous for them and validate a cautious approach. You know what they say about dogs who finally catch the car...

TrojanUSC

1. Search Engines and Trusted Sources
As Steve has noted traffic here is way down due to the closure. He would know, but more likely than not most of this site’s traffic comes from non forum members referred to this site through google. Things like park hours, restaurant menu, construction updates and the like. As users keep landing here for the basic information this site provides, perhaps they click through to the forum for deeper insights. Site becomes a trusted information source. May not be the biggest single place where Disney is discussed on the Internet these days, but trust matters. There is quite a bit of upside to carefully steering the conversation on a site that’s seen as an authority over say, YouTube or Instagram or Facebook comments.

2. Cost
Disney is well known for not paying well in Orlando for entry level office jobs, especially in Florida. The cost to Disney to operate such an influence campaign is comprable to say sending mommy bloggers and vloggers on comped Disney Cruises or grand opening or meetups given the scale of the moms panel these days.

Ever wonder what “reputation management” sites do? It’s an army of low paid workers scrubbing/attacking criticism or praising their client(s). These services are readily available and affordable for most organizations. That’s what Disney is doing internally, with the help of free volunteers too.

Heck, you haven’t worked for the company since January 2019 and you’re still pushing for the agendas of individuals within the company, for free!

Look the reality is that there's a host of social media agencies and repetitional management companies that will, for a few thousand bucks a month, do exactly this kind of thing. It's their speciality. They're a dime a dozen in LA and elsewhere now.

Disney may do some of this work in-house, they were at one point, but also quite possible they've outsourced. However, anybody who thinks Disney is not controlling the message to some extent and monitoring these boards is sorely mistaken.

TP2000

Look the reality is that there's a host of social media agencies and repetitional management companies that will, for a few thousand bucks a month, do exactly this kind of thing. It's their speciality. They're a dime a dozen in LA and elsewhere now.

Disney may do some of this work in-house, they were at one point, but also quite possible they've outsourced. However, anybody who thinks Disney is not controlling the message to some extent and monitoring these boards is sorely mistaken.

To be honest, I've been busy with a light home remodel this past spring and have spent my time here almost exclusively on the Disneyland side of the boards, plus some time in Politics just for a few laughs.

But what exactly are we talking about here? Does anyone have an example of how these long-dormant accounts have sprung to life during Covid-19 to "steer conversations" in ways that would send more customers to Disney World this summer? Is there an example of this type of thing?

And again I ask, why would Disney need to pay people to do that? The end result just seems so vague and ethereal, that it's hard for me to believe the people behind the clumsy and corny Disney Parks Blog are also engaged in vast decades-long campaigns to change theme park fans minds about the latest ride, or hotel, or upcharge event.

Aren't we all smart enough to make up our own minds about the latest ride, or hotel, or upcharge event?

Oh.

If I'm no longer getting paid for this, why am I still here? Was someone supposed to tell me something?

Sir_Cliff

But what exactly are we talking about here? Does anyone have an example of how these long-dormant accounts have sprung to life during Covid-19 to "steer conversations" in ways that would send more customers to Disney World this summer? Is there an example of this type of thing?
I don't think people are necessarily suggesting people are trying to steer conversations in order to encourage more people to visit WDW. Nor that it would have anything to do with the DisneyParks Blog, for that matter.

Again, I have no idea if anything at all is happening beyond some long-dormant members suddenly springing to life due to coronavirus boredom. Looking at all these sudden new members, though, it seems like the interest is more to frame the conversation in terms of Disney screwing up their response and the parks reopening with restrictions as hellscapes.

Last edited:

_caleb

Not accusing anyone of anything but the following is the message they would want to get out.
View attachment 473540
You frame the conversation on your terms.

Despite their wreckless behavior by opening way too early, without proper reservation controls to limit rushes on the parks, the conversation is turned into a UNI v Disney fight. Disney could counter by saying UNI is putting being open over public health, but they’re not doing that. They’ve put the onus on Disney and the theme park fan community thinks Disney caved, which isn’t entirely true since July was their target, under the right circumstances.

For now Universal is winning the perception war, but the actual opening could be disastrous for them and validate a cautious approach. You know what they say about dogs who finally catch the car...
Thanks.
I can see the “Universal is beating Disney” message being pushed pretty hard. I can also see Disney being hammered on the reopening from both the “it’s way too soon to open” and the “masks and distancing are ridiculous” sides (obviously this is the same debate happening all over the world right now).

Brand/reputation management? Corporate messaging war? Troy Porter vs. Gary Snyder? Who knows?

_caleb

I don't think people are necessarily suggesting people are trying to steer conversations in order to encourage more people to visit WDW. Nor that it would have anything to do with the DisneyParks Blog, for that matter.

Again, I have no idea if anything at all is happening beyond some long-dormant members suddenly springing to life due to coronavirus boredom. Looking at all these sudden new members, though, it seems like the interest is more to frame the conversation in terms of Disney screwing up their response and the parks reopening with restrictions as hellscapes.
Right. Just like the Lutz/MiceChat/Snyder drama implied, any influence campaign is 1) not pro-Disney, but trying to stir up frustration, and 2) not conducted or sanctioned by Disney’s official PR teams.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom