News Walt Disney World's COVID-19 reopening plans announced - July 11

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Let's be realistic, WDW will get much more flack from the media and general public if an outbreak happens compared to UO. Is it fair? Nope, but it is what it is.
Yes but it will happen and then go away. Disney can take as many precautions as they want or can, but a death will still happen, and then it will go away.

TrojanUSC

I'm so intrigued by the amount of people who are surprised that Disney does NOT want them to come and fill the parks during a global pandemic.

Yep. Nothing really changed with the virus. We, as a country, just kind of got bored with the virus. Disney has access to the top experts in the world who have said this is the reality to operate as safe as possible. It is what it is. They don't want this any more than guests do, but are smarter than most of their guests about the realities of this.

TrojanUSC

One death? Yes. A massive outbreak? Will be tougher to sell.

Yep an outbreak that forces them to close a park or more will indeed be a disaster and take far more time to recover from.

Also the reality is they greedy, but are not a soulless monster. They don't want to actually kill people by being greedy, which can indeed happen here very easily.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The looming price hikes. Spoiler Alert: We know.
might be a bridge too far on its own
You mean the looming layoff's?
Now you’re talking...
I'm so intrigued by the amount of people who are surprised that Disney does NOT want them to come and fill the parks during a global pandemic.
Never made sense did it? Many here convinced themselves that they “had” to open ASAP...

But that doesn’t understand the mentality or where the money is made in the House of Dwarf.
An interesting tool available for DVC members is the availability tool. While I don’t check it daily I do look at it every week and the month to month availability within the 7 month window is getting more and more frequent. Even for busy DVC time in September, and October. So there is movement there.
I’ll tell let you in on an “insider” secret from my old days that’s still true:

DVC are far more skiddish than people think. They aren’t “park warriors” on the whole.

There’s a fairly obvious reason why. Risking their necks isn’t worth it.

They were the first to cancel after 9/11...they deemed themselves “too valuable” for plane incidents.

Don’t think that doesn’t apply here.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
One death? Yes. A massive outbreak? Will be tougher to sell.
While anything is possible, the increased precautions mitigate and greatly lessen the possibility of a mass outbreak. Regardless even with enhanced contact tracing it becomes very difficult to accurately assess sources especially if symptoms take a while to manifest or carriers are totally asymptomatic.

Rider

I’ll tell let you in on an “insider” secret from my old days that’s still true:

DVC are far more skiddish than people think. They aren’t “park warriors” on the whole.

There’s a fairly obvious reason why. Risking their necks isn’t worth it.

They were the first to cancel after 9/11...they deemed themselves “too valuable” for plane incidents.

Don’t think that doesn’t apply here.

I think there are a lot of assumptions being made that just because DVC points were already "paid-for" that those owners will still use them this year and not just let them expire. DVC owners are not immune from being one of the 40 million who lost their job in the last couple months. DVC owners are not immune from their business going into the red this year or losing it entirely. DVC owners are not immune from still having bills to pay. A trip to Disney World still costs a ton of money even if the DVC is already "paid". I bet we will see a lot of points abandoned this year and a lot more defaults on the loans.

The vast majority of the DVC availability (and future slow attendance at all the Orlando parks) has a lot more to do with the economy than anyone who is upset at the changes Disney has made.

pdude81

I hope everybody takes their ball and goes home so I can roam freely in August. Honestly I expect that they will do their best to make this a good experience for those that are able to get reservations in the park, and not be too miserly with capacity. If Disney World finally reopens and the stories are that people are hot and miserable, suffering with masks AND waiting on long lines... it's a bad look. Whether planted or not, I expect some headlines about how it was tough to deal with the airport and masks, but Disney made up for it with X, Y, and Z benefits.

I for one am hoping for a Limited Edition Mask Pin in my room upon check in.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think there are a lot of assumptions being made that just because DVC points were already "paid-for" that those owners will still use them this year and not just let them expire. DVC owners are not immune from being one of the 40 million who lost their job in the last couple months. DVC owners are not immune from their business going into the red this year or losing it entirely. DVC owners are not immune from still having bills to pay. A trip to Disney World still costs a ton of money even if the DVC is already "paid". I bet we will see a lot of points abandoned this year and a lot more defaults on the loans.

The vast majority of the DVC availability (and future slow attendance at all the Orlando parks) has a lot more to do with the economy than anyone who is upset at the changes Disney has made.
I agree with this too...

It’s the other reality of dvc...but no less valid.

The economic impact...which I see ALOT of people around the neighborhood have decided to ignore the realities and listen to the Pied Pipers...has but just begun.

Disney does not boom in recessions. And It’s a GOOD thing. It’s reset the scales and restored value over the years when they get ahead of themselves.

Last edited:

Rescue Ranger

Hmmm I haven't canceled my new dates yet and I will say some of this sounds promising. It will be like the 90s again! I can go into a park with no schedule and just approach stuff as I wish. Doesn't sound so bad? Have to wait until openings and see how things are working before we make a final decision. We don't leave until end of August. Rented points.

Of course this is if we can even travel by then.

lisa12000

This is going to affect the uk bookings massively and I wonder if that is deliberate. We get the free dining plan almost year round with packages and therefore everyone’s free dining plan is cancelled now which makes the holiday at least £1000 more expensive / ice also noticed that the 35% off a future reservation is not on the blog anymore? Sorry if I’m being blind. So basically my son who has a reservation in October with free dining at akl now has lost all his reservations, has 14 day ultimate tickets which include park hopper and water parks which aren’t happening and less opening times - I can’t seem many uk people coming over even when they can under those circumstances as it’s basically making a holiday a lot more expensive that they’ve already paid for with less experiences - and again perhaps that’s what they want, no internationals

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Also, let's take a momen to acknowledge guests who were once offered the dining plan carrot for rebooking canceled reservations.

"Guest, we are sorry your reservation is canceled. If you rebook quickly we'll give you a free dining plan!" -----> (one month later)
"We're excited you're taking a chance on us and rebooked, but know that if you change your date or reservation in any way, you'll lose that free dining!" -----> (one month later) "No dining plans. Sorry!"

Getachew

While anything is possible, the increased precautions mitigate and greatly lessen the possibility of a mass outbreak. Regardless even with enhanced contact tracing it becomes very difficult to accurately assess sources especially if symptoms take a while to manifest or carriers are totally asymptomatic.

I don't disagree. A tough situation all around.

hyperflame

Disappointed on the dining reservation being cancelled (I finally got a Cinderella's Royal Table res! - or at least, had) but I suppose it was inevitable.

But I'm going to need a few good resort dining reservations or otherwise I might downgrade my Deluxe resort reservation - there's no point staying at the Poly if I can't get an Ohana dinner. Might as well stay at Art of Animation and eat at Landscape of Flavors (not tossing any shade at AoA, loved it when I did a split stay a few years ago).

Peter Pan's Shadow

Also, let's take a momen to acknowledge guests who were once offered the dining plan carrot for rebooking canceled reservations.

"Guest, we are sorry your reservation is canceled. If you rebook quickly we'll give you a free dining plan!" -----> (one month later)
"We're excited you're taking a chance on us and rebooked, but know that if you change your date or reservation in any way, you'll lose that free dining!" -----> (one month later) "No dining plans. Sorry!"
That was us. I'm waiting a could days before calling them to see if anything else shakes out

Zeromancer

I do not see the reason behind canceling restaurant reservations and dining plan. We are going in early October from belgium and the “free dining plan” and restaurant reservations we made make our trip so much easier .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom