Universal Puts Disney's Reopening on Defensive

ImperfectPixie

True, but RNA viruses can do that. I don’t know enough to get into details outside of what I’ve read recently. But there is some evidence the R naught isn’t increasing even in countries where lockdowns are being lifted (I think it was .7 in the UK today) so I don’t think it’s impossible.

I think it would be wrong for scientist to put that out because if it’s wrong it would cause a massive spike so I doubt it will get publicized but I’m sure there are many researching and asking the same questions.
Mainstream media has been publishing all sorts of things that could contribute to a massive spike...all it takes is for one of them to find it.

Touchdown

Evolution people does work in our favor, here’s a little primer on survival of the fittest principle:

The goal of a virus is to spread its genetic material to the most hosts. The best way to do that is to be very infectious (ie it’s easy for hosts to get infected) and limit symptoms so hosts don’t limit their encounters with others allowing the virus to spread more easily. Death of host is not something the virus seeks out, that limits the host from infecting others.

Eventually, over generations, the virus will become just another source of the common cold. Thankfully viral generations happen frequently (each new host is a new generation) so it could happen at anytime.

the more successful viruses infect more people becoming more prevalent over time.

BrianLo

Also, wouldn't it be wonderful to have an opening due to data proclaiming a clear "we did it!" instead of a simple "we bored- screw it!"

In Disney's defence, they actually seemed to be reasonably waiting for those benchmarks for most of their parks worldwide.

I hope they still do what they feel is correct instead of blindly following the competition.

sedati

In Disney's defence, they actually seemed to be reasonably waiting for those benchmarks for most of their parks worldwide.

I hope they still do what they feel is correct instead of blindly following the competition.
Sorry, yes, my comment was more about the state, country, or industry as a whole pushing to open ASAP as opposed to Disney's own leadership.

Or maybe you should stop making reservations until you know they are open.

If you read a previous post that is exactly what I am doing. I made the first reservation in January (for this week actually). Once it looked like our May dates were not happening, I moved it to July, but have also cancelled the July trip since an opening date hasn't been announced. I have no plans to rebook until a date is announced.

That doesn't change the fact that Disney taking reservations without truly planning to open is completely wrong. Some people have to take off weeks and/or months in advance and cancelling their reservations a few weeks/days before they are supposed to arrive is horrible and if I had never been to Disney before and this happened to me, I would truly think twice about rebooking.

If it's July 1st or 2021 Disney should stop taking reservations until they actually have a plan to reopen.

They can't due to the nature of their business model.
Please elaborate on their business model since you know it so well...

ETA: If they have a date as far out as the August rumor that would give them plenty of time to get the rooms filled. Additionally many months in advance reservations are booked, there are people that have booked for this week months in advance but up until 2 weeks ago they were still taking reservations for this week. They need to stop taking NEW reservations until they know more/have a plan in place.

ImperfectPixie

If you read a previous post that is exactly what I am doing. I made the first reservation in January (for this week actually). Once it looked like our May dates were not happening, I moved it to July, but have also cancelled the July trip since an opening date hasn't been announced. I have no plans to rebook until a date is announced.

That doesn't change the fact that Disney taking reservations without truly planning to open is completely wrong. Some people have to take off weeks and/or months in advance and cancelling their reservations a few weeks/days before they are supposed to arrive is horrible and if I had never been to Disney before and this happened to me, I would truly think twice about rebooking.

If it's July 1st or 2021 Disney should stop taking reservations until they actually have a plan to reopen.
Laugh all you like, but they need to have reservations ready and waiting when they decide to open.

Laugh all you like, but they need to have reservations ready and waiting when they decide to open.

And they should already have reservations waiting without taking news ones, please see above post. Most people book months in advance. My issue is with the NEW reservations they are taking, I book last minute trips, but most of the trips we go on are booked well in advance. They should have reservations waiting without misleading people who think they can go in 2 weeks only to be cancelled a few days later.

Last edited:
I think the point is more that if an outbreak is tied to Universal while Disney has held back and remained closed, Disney will look sensible and responsible while Universal will look like it opened too early and risked people's lives in the process.

Honestly, I hope Disney doesn't rush reopening plans just to catch up to Uni.

But if Universal is open for several months with no major outbreak tied to it, then Disney looks a lot less sensible and responsible-especially to the employees and shareholders.

It is a risk either way. Hindsight will be 20/20. Either way, whichever one happened to guess right is probably going to say, "I told you so."

icc2515

They can't due to the nature of their business model.
What's their new business model? Disappointing their guests? My family and I are huge Disney fans and they are really starting to get on all of our nerves. And if this is happening for us I bet it is happening to a lot of other fans. Alienating your customers is not a good way to do business. When they first started cancelling reservations they offered to rebook starting in June with free dining. Then that went to you know what and now they dropped the free dining aspect and are taking reservations starting in July. All their illustrious leadership has to say about it is just because we are taking reservations in July does not mean that we will be open in July. Then stop taking reservations in July if there is a good enough chance that you will not be open that you had to make that ridiculous statement. They look like a bunch of incompetent amateurs. Plus this whole let's bury our head in the sand and not tell our customers anything but a bunch of textbook crud is a bit condescending. (I'm talking about the statement from the head of Disney health services we are going to clean everything and have social distancing whenever we open) Disney is losing a bunch of respect from their customers. Just pick a date even if it is the conservative one at the end of August and let the poor people with summer reservations off the hook. Seriously my kids ask me every single day what did Disney say today. Mind you they are plenty old enough that they know what Disney said today. The same thing they said yesterday and the day before...nothing. These are kids that still think they are going int July and will continue to think that until Disney cancels the reservation. There are thousands of other kids out there thinking the same thing. There are plenty of adults out there think that as well. They may be right. I feel sorry for the parents of the little kids that don't understand.

Disney set those parents and kids free.

What's their new business model? Disappointing their guests? My family and I are huge Disney fans and they are really starting to get on all of our nerves. And if this is happening for us I bet it is happening to a lot of other fans. Alienating your customers is not a good way to do business. When they first started cancelling reservations they offered to rebook starting in June with free dining. Then that went to you know what and now they dropped the free dining aspect and are taking reservations starting in July. All their illustrious leadership has to say about it is just because we are taking reservations in July does not mean that we will be open in July. Then stop taking reservations in July if there is a good enough chance that you will not be open that you had to make that ridiculous statement. They look like a bunch of incompetent amateurs. Plus this whole let's bury our head in the sand and not tell our customers anything but a bunch of textbook crud is a bit condescending. (I'm talking about the statement from the head of Disney health services we are going to clean everything and have social distancing whenever we open) Disney is losing a bunch of respect from their customers. Just pick a date even if it is the conservative one at the end of August and let the poor people with summer reservations off the hook. Seriously my kids ask me every single day what did Disney say today. Mind you they are plenty old enough that they know what Disney said today. The same thing they said yesterday and the day before...nothing. These are kids that still think they are going int July and will continue to think that until Disney cancels the reservation. There are thousands of other kids out there thinking the same thing. There are plenty of adults out there think that as well. They may be right. I feel sorry for the parents of the little kids that don't understand.

Very well said and my thoughts exactly!

ImperfectPixie

Very well said and my thoughts exactly!
Then reschedule your trips for a time period in which you are confident they will be open and operating. I'm sorry, but you guys have some very unrealistic expectations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom