Universal Puts Disney's Reopening on Defensive

GladToBeHear

Or maybe you staff/train up, keep the parks as clean as possible, set up sanitizer stations in logical locations, and let visitors take personal responsibility for how best to take care of themselves and their families? If you don't feel safe without everyone social-distancing and wearing masks 24/7, then maybe you wait to visit?

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Or maybe you staff/train up, keep the parks as clean as possible, set up santizer stations in logical locations, and let visitors take personal responsibility for how best to take care of themselves and their families? If you don't feel safe without everyone social-distancing and wearing masks 24/7, then maybe you wait to visit?
It’s :banghead: not :banghead: about :banghead: protecting :banghead: yourself.:banghead:

Ldno

Universal(comcast) needs to open their parks fast, lolol they burned bridges with AMC/Regal Cinemas... But from what i have seen, some cast members have been having a hard time getting paid their unemployment, while those that do,don’t want to get off it be cause like myself it’s more than being employed for the time being and it’s helping pay off the debt for the time being. Heck some employers who paycheck protection for their employees got by them because at that rate they would had gotten more with unemployment to say the least

Last edited by a moderator:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I know a lot of people are unwilling to accept that Disney would let Universal open months before WDW, but taking a step back and removing all emotion from the discussion maybe a plan to open later is actually the best business move in the long run. I’m no insider so I have no idea what the plans are or if Disney even knows yet. Just looking at this purely from an economic perspective. Let’s say for discussion Universal opens in June and Disney waits until September, in the short term Disney hands over a ton of market share to their largest competitor and loses 3 months of profits. With capacity limits and added costs to implement social distancing how much profits will they really generate? It’s not a huge loss financially.

On the customer satisfaction issue I think it’s a mixed bag. At first there could be many loyal Disney customers who go to Universal instead since WDW is closed. There‘s a chance that some of those guests decide they prefer Universal and don’t come back. That’s the general thinking on why it’s a bad idea, but with what Universal is doing with their opening including mandatory masks, temp screenings and various social distancing it’s also possible people go and have a less than stellar experience especially in the summer heat. Those guests may be more likely to return long term to WDW. The point is it’s not a lock that Disney would somehow lose market share long term over this. In 2021 nobody is going to care that Universal opened a few months earlier than WDW.

If Disney waited until Sept they would also create a built up demand. People always want what they can’t have. The old lock the movie in the vault and then re-release it to drum up false demand trick. By September it may be possible that FL is in full phase 3 and things like masks and capacity limits could be gone. Disney could be opening to a much more enjoyable guest experience. Even if masks are still around it would be a less uncomfortable as we get into fall and they’d have a few months of observations in Shanghai and at Uni to figure out what works and what is a bad idea. The point is Disney may be willing to give up a small amount of short term profit to ensure guests don’t have a diminished experience. I also think due to the layouts of the 2 resorts that WDW could be even more negatively impacted than Universal. Transportation being a big issue.

I get that for CMs that would mean extra months without pay, they but should get unemployment to make them close to whole (whether the system works is more of a state of FL issue). It would be a big negative for the local economy and the state of FL. It would be disappointing to fans who want to go back now too, but how many will really stop going to WDW over a few month delay? For the record I think a July opening is more likely, but the original post made me think a little about why a later opening might make sense. This doesn’t even include any implications of the NBA deal which would turn a little extra profit if it happens.

DVCakaCarlF

I know a lot of people are unwilling to accept that Disney would let Universal open months before WDW, but taking a step back and removing all emotion from the discussion maybe a plan to open later is actually the best business move in the long run. I’m no insider so I have no idea what the plans are or if Disney even knows yet. Just looking at this purely from an economic perspective. Let’s say for discussion Universal opens in June and Disney waits until September, in the short term Disney hands over a ton of market share to their largest competitor and loses 3 months of profits. With capacity limits and added costs to implement social distancing how much profits will they really generate? It’s not a huge loss financially.

On the customer satisfaction issue I think it’s a mixed bag. At first there could be many loyal Disney customers who go to Universal instead since WDW is closed. There‘s a chance that some of those guests decide they prefer Universal and don’t come back. That’s the general thinking on why it’s a bad idea, but with what Universal is doing with their opening including mandatory masks, temp screenings and various social distancing it’s also possible people go and have a less than stellar experience especially in the summer heat. Those guests may be more likely to return long term to WDW. The point is it’s not a lock that Disney would somehow lose market share long term over this. In 2021 nobody is going to care that Universal opened a few months earlier than WDW.

If Disney waited until Sept they would also create a built up demand. People always want what they can’t have. The old lock the movie in the vault and then re-release it to drum up false demand trick. By September it may be possible that FL is in full phase 3 and things like masks and capacity limits could be gone. Disney could be opening to a much more enjoyable guest experience. Even if masks are still around it would be a less uncomfortable as we get into fall and they’d have a few months of observations in Shanghai and at Uni to figure out what works and what is a bad idea. The point is Disney may be willing to give up a small amount of short term profit to ensure guests don’t have a diminished experience. I also think due to the layouts of the 2 resorts that WDW could be even more negatively impacted than Universal. Transportation being a big issue.

I get that for CMs that would mean extra months without pay, they but should get unemployment to make them close to whole (whether the system works is more of a state of FL issue). It would be a big negative for the local economy and the state of FL. It would be disappointing to fans who want to go back now too, but how many will really stop going to WDW over a few month delay? For the record I think a July opening is more likely, but the original post made me think a little about why a later opening might make sense. This doesn’t even include any implications of the NBA deal which would turn a little extra profit if it happens.
The lack of communication from TWDC is more of an issue than actually opening.

peter11435

The worst part is nobody does anything about it. A lot of you will just go back to the Mouse after this is all over. If people really were upset about what's going on they would stop giving the Mouse his cheese.
What exactly is there to be upset about. There is a global pandemic and they are closed until further notice. They have told you that.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The lack of communication from TWDC is more of an issue than actually opening.
I get that now and it’s frustrating if you have a trip planned, but long term not really an issue. People won’t really care a year from now who opened first and when the announcements happened. It‘s also possible that the lack of communication is because the plan isn’t fully set yet and an opening isn’t coming in a few weeks.

Jrb1979

I get that now and it’s frustrating if you have a trip planned, but long term not really an issue. People won’t really care a year from now who opened first and when the announcements happened. It‘s also possible that the lack of communication is because the plan isn’t fully set yet and an opening isn’t coming in a few weeks.
The fact that people won't really care about what the Mouse has done says a lot of how he has y'all wrapped around his finger. I liked Disney til this all happened but how they have handled this compared to all the other theme park companies doesn't give them a good look. I realize it's a pandemic and nobody knows how each day is going to go right now. The lack of communication has been downright awful. Six Flags has even put out their plans when they reopen and they are at the bottom for amusement parks.

Then you have the Mouse who has been tight-lipped through this whole thing. All news that has come out has never been directly from them other then their VP not guaranteeing the June opening. So much for them being ahead of the curve. In my books they aren't the leader any more

Giss Neric

This whole thread has just become another Disney vs. Universal. The moment I read the thread title I already knew.

Universal for me has always been the underdog and everyone loves the underdog. When the underdog succeeds, people just love to shove it on Disney's face how they are such a failure.

When Universal does something not good, people are like "do better next time.' When Disney does something not good, people are like "what a disaster."

Tony Perkis

This whole thread has just become another Disney vs. Universal. The moment I read the thread title I already knew.

Universal for me has always been the underdog and everyone loves the underdog. When the underdog succeeds, people just love to shove it on Disney's face how they are such a failure.

When Universal does something not good, people are like "do better next time.' When Disney does something not good, people are like "what a disaster."
Somebody didn’t read the thread.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom