Universal Puts Disney's Reopening on Defensive

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You mean this thread which is basically lauding Universal for moving so fast is a hatefest for Universal?

Did I just slide into a different reality?
Is it “lauding” universal for moving fast?

Is that the goal?

I do agree that universal seems to be more with it...but I’m not sure that’s a great achievement as it stands.

They will all reopen in due course...

Last edited:

Tony Perkis

But if they can’t work, how can the pay their rent, food, have some sort of way of life. I would think the CM will roll the dice and work instead of starving to death or have no where to live.
Again, risk management. Do you have enough staff that are on-hand or furloughed employees that can return to work that don't pose those risks?

Sorry, a lot of these answers are going to sound mean, but there is no clean way to bring everyone back safely at this point, and Covid-19 isn't done with doing what it can to the world population. Some people are going to get screwed by the reopenings, which is why we need additional government assistance for those people who do fit the criteria that would pose certain risks (but feel free to venture to the Politics sub to hash out the details and merits of that).

Tony Perkis

Healthcare experts and professionals would also recommend this when social distancing and adhering to policies established, either by the company or the government, cannot be maintained.

Last edited by a moderator:

lazyboy97o

Um, no I don't. I literally only sneeze when I walk into bright sunlight. That's not a sign of any infection.
In the specific case of sneezing, that increases potential spread. With something like coughing that is a more common symptom of COVID-19 so you would need to be running diagnostic tests to confirm it is a symptom of a different cause. So you either turn people away with symptoms that can be from other causes, run some sort of diagnostic process or trust self-diagnosis. Maybe the cause is typically something else, but you can’t rely on that. You’ve never had a co-worker show up looking quite ill but insisted “its only allergies”?

Last edited:

Tony Perkis

We are talking about entering a resort with a high congregation of people from all over the state, the country, and the world. There are different standards that must be maintained at those locations.

It's not like I'm saying you can't go outside to work out, walk, or meet with your friends at a small gathering. Assuming you're following proper protocol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony Perkis

S

At the entrance, even the WDW President, Josh, was walking past guest who didn’t have a mask on. If it’s not enforced, then I’d say it won’t last for long.
Or you can have a drink in hand and go naskless for a couple of hours.
That's not a good enough reason to throw out protocol and rules.

It's up to Disney, whether it be by staff or security, to enforce those rules, but even in instances when enforcement fails (which should be dealt with as well), the rules should still exist in the first place.

zengoth

Don't know if anyone has suggested it, but my thought would be to use every other cabin. When a full cabin comes in, those guests exit and you don't use it at that station. While it is in that station, you have a CM who goes in and "fogs" it so that when that cabin gets to the next station, it will be used. Meanwhile, guests boarding will only be going into every other cabin that has been cleaned at the previous station.

I think each cabin stays in the station long enough for a CM to pop in and clean and have it be ready for the next station.

DVCakaCarlF

Yeah, like that works so well when Grandma and Grandpa bring in the other ten family members NOT staying/paying at the club level so they can shovel their faces full of food.

Sorry, off-topic hot button . . .
I had not thought about that one...good point, but, agreed, should be used on another thread.

doctornick

In the specific case of sneezing, that increases potential spread. With something like coughing that is a more common symptom of COVID-19 so you would need to be running diagnostic tests to confirm it is a symptom of a different cause. So you either turn people away with symptoms that can be from other causes, run some sort of diagnostic process or trust self-diagnosis. Maybe the cause is typically something else, but you can’t rely on that. You’ve never had a co-worker show up looking quite ill but insisted “its only allergies”?

Okay, just to clarify... I can understand and agree with a policy that people who have symptoms suggestive of COVID-19 should be not be allowed entry to WDW. That isn't what I was questioning. I was addressing the comment that "If someone is coughing or sneezing, they shouldn’t be at Disney World in the first place" - because that is a ridiculous premise. Mainly because sneezing is something that a lot of people do for a variety of reasons that aren't necessaily infectious - and it isn't a symptom of COVID-19 anyway.

Certainly, I would argue that anyone who is sneezing (or coughing) should do so into their sleeve and everyone should be wearing a mask which would also lessen droplet spread.

Obviously, sneezing can spread COVID-19... if you are infected. And certainly people can be asymptomatic without knowing they have the disease. But sneezing due to a non-infectious cause cannot spread a disease that you don't have. And a lot of people sneeze due to established non-infectious causes and it would be pointless to deny them entry to WDW simply because they "might" sneeze at some point. Basically that would pointlessly exclude a lot of people without having any actual impact on decreasing the risks of COVID-19 spread.

brianstl

Which “stupid hicks down south” are you referring to?
I am not referring personally to any hicks down south. I was trying to be sarcastic. I am getting sick of the attitude displayed by many that people in Florida are a bunch of idiots that don’t know what they are doing. There seems to be no lack of people that want to find any incident or frame any picture to make it look like people in Florida are a bunch of idiots. These are mostly the same people that have been predicting impending COVID doom for Florida for almost three months now incorrectly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom