Universal Puts Disney's Reopening on Defensive

Dutch Inn '76

Universal Studios park has exactly 1 large outdoor attraction, Rockit. (2 more if you count the kid coaster and spinner) DHS has Slinky Dog in Toy Story, that's about it. IOA has more, but so do Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom

Ohhhhh - I've never been beaten like that Rockit beat me. I was sore. Even my teenagers complained about it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I dunno. Risks associated with the virus aren't the same everywhere. If I lived in NYC, I would probably wear a mask everywhere I go. Thankfully I don't, so I don't...
Masks are a chance of lessening the risk of spreading the thing to others. That’s about the only thing most governments agree on. Surely any chance of lessening any risk that someone potentially has is a good thing.

CaptainAmerica

Sounds like the only viable option is to open everything, immediately, without restrictions.

Everyone debating whether we *should* or *should not* have mandatory social distancing and mask requirements is completely missing the point that people won't comply! There is no option to "open WDW and everyone wears masks." The options are "open WDW without a mask requirement" or "open WDW with a mask requirement that people will completely ignore."

peter11435

There is no option to "open WDW and everyone wears masks." The options are "open WDW without a mask requirement" or "open WDW with a mask requirement that people will completely ignore."
There will always be those who wear them incorrectly or remove them when they shouldn’t, but making it a requirement vs optional will substantially increase the percentage of guests utilizing them. It was never about eliminating risk and spread just about reducing risk and spread.

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
I didn’t doubt that you were.

And you seem very reasonable...thank you, by the way...you don’t seem like the type of Fla-ridian that walks your gator on leash or tries to legally marry your drone 🤪

...but I think it’s all about Disney ability to make money combined with mitigating risk.

The second part is easier than the first...Disney parks are MASS models. You open up 25%...you incur probably 75% of the costs. What good is that?

The economy is Also wrecked...people don’t want to believe it...but the numbers don’t lie. This isn’t gonna bounce off a trampoline. When the Chicago guys go on tv and tell you you’re screwed...you’re screwed.
Lol, I was born in Chicago (hence the reasonable dialogue?) ;)

Disorbust

It’s an option. As is August. I’ll keep saying it - there’s no firm date yet AFAIK.

I really think this is just really bad management from the top down. Trust me I get it that Covid has created a whole new world but this is major company, whith major resources and that they haven't been really actively planning from day one when/how to open is concerning. It just seems so disorganized, like chicken with their heads cut off. I can understand things being fluid but just not to this extent that they are cancelling reservations week to week with zero consideration towards their guest. Their are several posters on the The Dis that are just switching to Universal instead of waiting to see if/when WDW cancels their reservation.

As a RN I am all about flattening the curve and doing everthing possible to mitigate transmission but the unfortunate fact based reality is we are stuck with this Covid hell at least well into 2021. Even if everything goes right with a vaccine which it never has, it will take time to get the resources to distribute it, there are supply chain shortages for 2 years in my hospital and in every other health system. It also makes me physically sick that people are whining about wearing a mask. I worked a week in ICU during COVId and watch 2 of my young patients die. I have no understanding why anyone would not want to do everything possible to prevent that from happening. It just such a small inconvience that could make such a big difference. I know the CDC was wrong with their intial statements on masks but please think about the big picture.

WDW was always going to have to open with Covid present and no vaccinations. Besides all the concerns voiced here with DVC, transportation etc they are also going to have a work force problem. My 2 adult DD work at corporate and are both furloughed. I give kudos to their Directors who have kept contact and were actually concerned and very relieved when they got there unemployment benefits and no they have no idea if/when they will be called back. The bigger problem is they can not resign their lease while they are furloughed, so they will lose their housing and come back home. They are lucky that they can come back but what about the CM's in the parks that don't have that option? Do they become homeless?

WDW Pro

Original Poster
Masks are a chance of lessening the risk of spreading the thing to others. That’s about the only thing most governments agree on. Surely any chance of lessening any risk that someone potentially has is a good thing.

Since you've asked me to stay...

I think the issue with masks is that health organizations in the beginning issued confusing advice on masks (likely to protect masks from panic buying). That resulted in undue skepticism that wouldn't have been there if everyone had been honest from the beginning. Masks have always been effective barriers for viral transmission with variable efficiency. For what it's worth, when I'm out and about in an open state, my experience is that 80% of people are wearing a mask and socially distancing. I would imagine education and socioeconomic status have some correlation, as well as age and proclivity for risk aversion.

asianway

Since you've asked me to stay...

I think the issue with masks is that health organizations in the beginning issued confusing advice on masks (likely to protect masks from panic buying). That resulted in undue skepticism that wouldn't have been there if everyone had been honest from the beginning. Masks have always been effective barriers for viral transmission with variable efficiency. For what it's worth, when I'm out and about in an open state, my experience is that 80% of people are wearing a mask and socially distancing. I would imagine education and socioeconomic status have some correlation, as well as age and proclivity for risk aversion.
I did my panic buying in January.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom