Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delgado

Has anyone thought Disney is waiting to open because they’re trying to sign the nba deal? I felt like the latest “warning” was we can cancel any of your reservations at our own discretion. Which is fine, their prerogative. I just don’t see much talk on this. Disney will definitely go for the easy “safe” nba money before taking a “chance” with the public... right?

Miss Bella

Has anyone thought Disney is waiting to open because they’re trying to sign the nba deal? I felt like the latest “warning” was we can cancel any of your reservations at our own discretion. Which is fine, their prerogative. I just don’t see much talk on this. Disney will definitely go for the easy “safe” nba money before taking a “chance” with the public... right?
This was a rumor a month or so ago. I haven’t heard much about it lately.

Hawg G

Since the app now exists, I'm reposting this video to remind folks that such contact tracing apps don't invade privacy. No one can track your location or keep track of your COVID status or have any information on who you are. Just encrypted means of letting people know they were withing range of someone who was infected so that they can get tested too (if they want).

Yup, we can trust Big Data and the Socials with our private info.

jaklgreen

Man, I'm getting tired of the small empty people here that ruin the thread by wanting to argue about apps, masks, economics and whatever other stupid topic you want to be triggered about. Pursueing people for wanting to change the topic from a disagreement just to be a jerk. I'm here to talk Disney and possible opening of Disney. Mentally healthy adults can handle a differing idea or opinion respectfully. If you can't maybe fix whatever your problem is. I didn't see argument forum anywhere when I signed up.

I don't mind the offshoots of the thread. That is the natural flow of any conversation. If everyone agreed on everything, then you would not have any conversations, they would just be everyone agreeing with the original poster. What I don't like is when others try to shut someone up because they have a different opinion. Talking about differences in opinions is exactly what a conversation is.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
You should watch the linked video. There's no need for trust - your private info isn't shared or collected to begin with.

Nope. Def not. Totally fine.

FWIW, I don’t mind contact tracing, it’s silly because most people will mind and won’t opt in. But as you can see, your phone is already tracking who and where you are. What’s one more app doing the same?

Peter Pan's Shadow

I don't mind the offshoots of the thread. That is the natural flow of any conversation. If everyone agreed on everything, then you would not have any conversations, they would just be everyone agreeing with the original poster. What I don't like is when others try to shut someone up because they have a different opinion. Talking about differences in opinions is exactly what a conversation is.
Yeah, We agree. The only point I was making was how disrespectful people are when disagreeing. The other things were just examples of what the silly fights were about (was triggered when I logged in and saw all the rude and aggressive posts), not suggesting limiting offshoots.

brianstl

You should watch the linked video. There's no need for trust - your private info isn't shared or collected to begin with.
But we have been assured multiple times by these companies in the past with different services that they were not collecting personal identifying information only to find out they not only were collecting that info, but were then selling it to third parties. I’m am not saying this app is a bad idea, just that reluctance of many to want to use is it is completely justifiable.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There’s a whole thread on WDW reopening estimates where the NBA deal has been talked about extensively. The short summary is, yes it could be part of the delay. Last I heard the NBA commissioner said they were down to 2 locations WDW and Vegas and there’s a possibility they do both with Western Conference in Vegas and Eastern at Disney. Games would start in July and last about 2 months. The commissioner also said they would make a decision in the next 2 weeks. Players have been told that they would get more details June 1. All signs point towards an NBA decision in the next week to 10 days. If Disney is really in the mix but it’s not certain then that is absolutely a big driver in the delay. They would need to know which resort the NBA would be using (if any) and work on cancelling those reservations up front and moving people around. The front runner right now seems to be CSR as the location has the new tower, conference space that the teams and media could use and it’s isolated location. There’s also a rumor one of the All Stars could be used but I can’t see those spoiled NBA players in a 200 square foot room.

wannabeBelle

...based on what?
This I can speak to based on my own experiences. The first testing facility set up in Staten Island, NY (one of the boroughs in NYC) was a drive up one. It did require an appointment. The first few days seemed to go OK however after that there was a huge drop off on the numbers of people showing up as per our local newspaper that does a live stream video a few times a day. They were standing across the street from the testing facility. It was found out later that the appointment area wasnt doing their job correctly. Once that was worked out, this opened back up to do a lot of testing. Fast forward to recently. There are a ton of testing sites both for the virus and antibody testing. I was able to log on and get an antibody test the following day with my choice of times free through NYC (I came back negative for exposure) and I dont know anyone who wanted a test and hadnt been able to get one. Here is the website from our borough President James Oddo listing all of the testing sites that are open and seeing people. https://www.statenislandusa.com/covidtesting.html The testing itself is free however if you go to one of the urgent care centers if you are given a check up or other medical care, that may be charged either to you or your health insurance ( That happened to a friend) so be sure to ask that of the individual locations and check with your health insurance!!! Marie

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
But we have been assured multiple times by these companies in the past with different services that they were not collecting personal identifying information only to find out they not only were collecting that info, but were then selling it to third parties. I’m am not saying this app is a bad idea, just that reluctance of many to want to use is it is completely justifiable.
That’s why you have to watch the video and read up on the app. There is no GPS or locational tracking used, there is no central database, there’s nothing collected and nothing to sell. Google and Apple have no real involvement outside of pushing the app out to their operating system.

I have no interest in trying to change people’s opinion. I get some people are against this no matter what and it doesn’t matter how it works. I get that in our polarized often too political world for some issues and some people everything is black and white and lots of people are either against something or in favor of it no matter what. Don’t take this as me arguing that you should change your mind. If someone has actual interest in using this type of app but is concerned about privacy I would suggest looking into it instead of outright dismissing it. I think if most people looked into it and understood how it worked they would realize there’s no real privacy issue.

It’s not the end all be all solution for this situation, but it could be a very powerful and useful tool to keep outbreaks suppressed, greatly aid in contact tracing and most importantly keep everything open. The selfish benefit is you will find out if you came in contact with a positive person (as long as they too use the app) and know when to get tested. Nobody wants to be positive but asymptomatic and infect friends, co-workers and family especially in the higher risk groups.

DisneyDebRob

Don’t know anything about this park, never been there but it opened today. Margaritaville H20 I think? No masks needed and this is the crowd waiting to open. Wow.

4AAB643C-0AA7-47AE-B7C8-2A32960579C0.jpeg

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Man, I'm getting tired of the small empty people here that ruin the thread by wanting to argue about apps, masks, economics and whatever other stupid topic you want to be triggered about. Pursueing people for wanting to change the topic from a disagreement just to be a jerk. I'm here to talk Disney and possible opening of Disney. Mentally healthy adults can handle a differing idea or opinion respectfully. If you can't maybe fix whatever your problem is. I didn't see argument forum anywhere when I signed up.
There’s is another thread focused solely on WDW reopening dates.
That one is more focused specifically on WDW and when/how it will reopen.

Chi84

Premium Member
Yeah, We agree. The only point I was making was how disrespectful people are when disagreeing. The other things were just examples of what the silly fights were about (was triggered when I logged in and saw all the rude and aggressive posts), not suggesting limiting offshoots.
The anonymity of the internet makes some people exceptionally brave, and often rude or aggressive if you don't accept what they post as 100% true. Heck, I know people who lie even when they're almost certain to be caught - there's no way I'm accepting everything that's said here without a large grain of salt. In any event, if a poster starts calling people ignorant, idiots, stupid, etc., I just assume that's all they have in their arsenal and ignore them - sometimes literally. It would be nice if people didn't treat these threads as an ongoing personal discussion because it tends to make them overly long, but they have a right to post so I just wade through to find the nuggets of gold lol.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That’s not exactly what Disney was trying to warn guests about.
I have my own theories, but curious to hear what you thought?

I was thinking that message was as much about letting people know that even if they book a reservation after 7/1 some of those reservations as well as some existing reservations will need to be cancelled or changed once things open. For example, if restaurants are open at 50% capacity (and some don’t open at all) lots of ADRs will be impacted. If the resorts open at 50% capacity (and some don’t open at all) they will need to move people around and/or cancel their reservations. If the parks open at lower capacity and have a reservation system put in AP holders may be restricted or blocked completely, multi-day passes could be forced to convert to single day tickets, resort guests may get first crack at time slots for parks. That kind of stuff.

I do wonder if due to the Universal announcement there was a surge of WDW booking for the beginning of July anticipating the parks would definitely be open. If there’s changes to any reservations I would assume the priority would be based on time booked so the newest reservations would be cancelled first. In other words I wonder if they were setting the expectation that if you rush to book in July right now don’t be shocked if your reservation gets modified or cancelled.

peter11435

I have my own theories, but curious to hear what you thought?

I was thinking that message was as much about letting people know that even if they book a reservation after 7/1 some of those reservations as well as some existing reservations will need to be cancelled or changed once things open. For example, if restaurants are open at 50% capacity (and some don’t open at all) lots of ADRs will be impacted. If the resorts open at 50% capacity (and some don’t open at all) they will need to move people around and/or cancel their reservations. If the parks open at lower capacity and have a reservation system put in AP holders may be restricted or blocked completely, multi-day passes could be forced to convert to single day tickets, resort guests may get first crack at time slots for parks. That kind of stuff.

I do wonder if due to the Universal announcement there was a surge of WDW booking for the beginning of July anticipating the parks would definitely be open. If there’s changes to any reservations I would assume the priority would be based on time booked so the newest reservations would be cancelled first. In other words I wonder if they were setting the expectation that if you rush to book in July right now don’t be shocked if your reservation gets modified or cancelled.
Exactly. It was preparing guests that timelines are still fluid but even when things start to open back up your existing tickets and reservations may not be valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom