Universal Puts Disney's Reopening on Defensive

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I wouldn't play the trust-fall game with any politician. Guest attendence, spending, and commentary will drive this bus.
I agree...but I think Disney concern is liability and more importantly: longterm PR damage.

I don’t see how they can make profits right now...and people forget the beauty of being as huge as Disney - or Comcast - is they can kinda do what they want.

The stockholders want theirs...but this is a rare occasion where they really can’t demand much.

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
I agree...but I think Disney concern is liability and more importantly: longterm PR damage.

I don’t see how they can make profits right now...and people forget the beauty of being as huge as Disney - or Comcast - is they can kinda do what they want.

The stockholders want theirs...but this is a rare occasion where they really can’t demand much.
The liability thing is muddy. Deep pockets. At some point, we have to learn to accept that governments are not going to have a solution for everything COVID that appeases the masses. Risk vs Reward. I'm ready to go back.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The liability thing is muddy. Deep pockets. At some point, we have to learn to accept that governments are not going to have a solution for everything COVID that appeases the masses. Risk vs Reward. I'm ready to go back.
I didn’t doubt that you were.

And you seem very reasonable...thank you, by the way...you don’t seem like the type of Fla-ridian that walks your gator on leash or tries to legally marry your drone 🤪

...but I think it’s all about Disney ability to make money combined with mitigating risk.

The second part is easier than the first...Disney parks are MASS models. You open up 25%...you incur probably 75% of the costs. What good is that?

The economy is Also wrecked...people don’t want to believe it...but the numbers don’t lie. This isn’t gonna bounce off a trampoline. When the Chicago guys go on tv and tell you you’re screwed...you’re screwed.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Re: WDW vs UO:

WDW is not UO. The parks themselves are totally different.

The best information we have is that the disease’s spread is almost entirely indoor transmission via air.

Surface transmission is, according to the CDC, “not the main way the virus spreads”.

Finally, according to the NIH, loud talking seems to be nearly as bad as coughing or sneezing for spreading droplets containing virus.

Universal has a lot more outdoor attractions than WDW and a lot less musical ambiance forcing everyone to talk in a yell the whole time. WDW is simply riskier to open.

Prince-1

Well this is 100% false and can’t possibly be an issue regarding reopening because...

1. Disney or ANY employer are under no obligation to match what the federal government is giving when they bring employees back to work. In fact the Universal employees returning to work in a few weeks will only be receiving 80% of their salaries as they have for the last few weeks of the shutdown.

2. If an employee refuses to come back to work after being furloughed then they are technically disqualified from receiving any cash unemployment benefits.

He‘s an insider dontcha know.

Dutch Inn '76

That's the truth! There are going to be some hiccups in the restart. That's just part of the restart! Let's get going already!

Moka

Whew, what a read. But yeah, for some reason I had already expected Universal to have it easier on reopening just because of the fact of WDW being so large with not only visitors, even their parks are larger. It’ll be interesting what Disney decides to do.

HauntedMansionFLA

Hopefully the government will pass the liability shield to where mask will be optional. If given a choice, 20% of guest might wear a mask even though most wear them the wrong way. Not covering your nose or wearing it around your neck defeats its wise of wearing them.

Polkadotdress

The dermatologist I go to the PA is an ex WDW cast member (played tinker bell) and we all ways discuss WDW. Had an appointment yesterday she was telling me she keeps in touch with CM (friends worked with, still with Disney) they were telling her WDW may not open until 2021. Is this true I have no idea.

This is the ultimate "I heard it from a bus driver" moment...

Cast members are on the government payroll.

Barely...many haven't seen a dime of unemployment hit their bank accounts yet, and they've formally been furloughed since 4/19.

Bob Harlem

Universal has a lot more outdoor attractions than WDW and a lot less musical ambiance forcing everyone to talk in a yell the whole time. WDW is simply riskier to open.

Universal Studios park has exactly 1 large outdoor attraction, Rockit. (2 more if you count the kid coaster and spinner) DHS has Slinky Dog in Toy Story, that's about it. IOA has more, but so do Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom