Universal Puts Disney's Reopening on Defensive

DVCakaCarlF

I was thinking the same thing. Will Disney wait for all social distancing and mask rules to be relaxed before opening????

It makes Disney look good, people before profit (Disney does not consider the cast members that lost their jobs as people), and they save all that work and money to get the parks and resorts set up.

Disney Springs does not count as its a glorified mall with tenants, if Disney as the landlord wants to get the rent, they gotta let their tenants at least try to make the money to pay the rent.
In my mind, they look terrible because it appears they have both no plan and, have yet, to make a statement.

DVCakaCarlF

While those folks won't be happy, and understandably so, I think Disney knows in the short-term they may be unhappy about the situation, but once this clears up, they will still come to their parks and resorts rather than the competition. It seems as though everybody on here is thinking short-term, but Disney is playing the long-game and is properly calculating the risk/reward and how they can keep the experience as close to normal without having to make major compromises.
They are assuming they are both better prepared and favored over UO, and I would argue that’s ignorant thinking.

People desperate to go out will find a reason to visit UO after they had no reason previously.

rowrbazzle

Well this is 100% false and can’t possibly be an issue regarding reopening because...

1. Disney or ANY employer are under no obligation to match what the federal government is giving when they bring employees back to work. In fact the Universal employees returning to work in a few weeks will only be receiving 80% of their salary/hourly wage, as they have for the last few weeks of the shutdown.

2. If an employee refuses to come back to work after being furloughed then they are technically disqualified from receiving any cash unemployment benefits.

Yeah, I don't get it either. If the supposed plan is that they won't open all the parks, then it seems like even less of an issue. But if Disney was so concerned about not being able to pay their employees, then why did they continue to do so for a time and provide benefits while they were closed? That could've saved them tons of money. And if they were expecting that CMs would just refuse to work, then why negotiate agreements with the union just recently? For that matter, why bother at all right now if the plan was to wait until the end of August?

WDW Pro

Original Poster
Then clarify pls. Saying “Disney can’t match those amounts” indicates you think they need to for some reason?

I'm on my phone, which isn't conducive to long in the weed responses, but...

1. I didn't say obligated.
2. I didn't mention the issue of quitting versus furlough.

So for an abbreviated explanation, let's say Disney brings back 25% of their work force in July. The other 75% then receive normal unemployment plus $2,400 minimum and don't have to stand in tremendous heat wearing a mask. So how do you choose who takes two massive negatives and who gets to enjoy the cool air at home with way more money? How do you do that fairly, equitably, and in a way that protects your older or health impaired cast that make up a significant chunk of your full year crew... and who probably shouldn't be back even in August?

DVCakaCarlF

So for an abbreviated explanation, let's say Disney brings back 25% of their work force in July. The other 75% then receive normal unemployment plus $2,400 minimum and don't have to stand in tremendous heat wearing a mask. So how do you choose who takes two massive negatives and who gets to enjoy the cool air at home with way more money? How do you do that fairly, equitably, and in a way that protects your older or health impaired cast that make up a significant chunk of your full year crew... and who probably shouldn't be back even in August?
Because if you want to keep your job long term, you will find a way back to work.

Imagineer45

Because it’s not really a choice. Quitting your job means you are no longer eligible for those payments.
If you have ever had to deal with the government and unemployment benefits, you would know that while your point should be true, it isn't. There are always loopholes, delays, etc. that get taken advantage of. This is also why there were rampant delays for people receiving checks initially.

celluloid

Even if they're at high risk for severe symptoms?

The jobs would say what they are doing provides reasonable accommodation. Especially with the Unions and such coming to agreements with professionals. I'm Florida, they would be told they are free to find work or position that better suits them if the company does not. Good companies may try where they can.

DVCakaCarlF

Also, UI benefits require that the beneficiary is “actively” looking for alternatives to work. UI benefits will run out before WDW brings back 1/2 of the staff furloughed.

DVCakaCarlF

If you have ever had to deal with the government and unemployment benefits, you would know that while your point should be true, it isn't. There are always loopholes, delays, etc. that get taken advantage of. This is also why there were rampant delays for people receiving checks initially.
The only “loophole” is that UI benefits, right now, only cover 40% of applicants.

WDW Pro

Original Poster
Because if you want to keep your job long term, you will find a way back to work.

That doesn't change the dilemma.

Disney can A) bring everyone back even though most aren't needed, thus costing everyone money or B) bring back a minority that are then penalized unless some incentive is provided, but any incentive likely needs to compensate a thousand dollar per.

DC0703

I was thinking the same thing. Will Disney wait for all social distancing and mask rules to be relaxed before opening????

Probably not feasible. There will likely be some degree of social distancing and mask wearing through the rest of the year and into next year, especially if a second wave of virus outbreaks were to hit during the fall/winter cold and flu season.

Mouse Trap

The same way Universal and every other company that is doing phases reopenings (airlines, hotels, etc). By seniority or those who explicitly request to work.

It’s not that complicated and thus proving why this isn’t true no matter how you try to frame it. Disney has done all sorts of “unfair” scheduling practices for decades — they aren’t all the sudden feeling bad deciding who should work and who doesn’t.

Disney isn’t exactly the only company doing this...

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

I’m not sure how that “circumstance” is interpreted by the Unemployment Insurance of each state. In SC, the governor has requested anyone that can work from home, do so. I would think that needs to be exercised before outright quitting.
Gotcha. I keep forgetting about WFH because that's not an option for my husband...who is high risk and has been back to work for 2 weeks.

ETA: It's not that he'd want to quit, either. It's just that neither his coworkers nor the clients whose businesses and homes he visits for his job are acknowledging the masks and social distancing...which his company said was the requirements before they re-opened.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom