Universal Puts Disney's Reopening on Defensive

ElvisMickey

I need to vent for a second. I’ve noticed for the last several weeks that there have been a lot of people on social media who are calling out those who don’t want to wear masks at the theme parks. I’ve also noticed, the majority of them, don’t live in Florida. I understand, that it’s really easy to be blinded by the “magic” and “pixie dust”, but let’s hear what you have to say when you actually come here and have to wear your mask in 95 degree humidity all day. I walked to the mailbox this morning at 9AM, which took about 3 minutes, and it was MISERABLE out. You couldn’t pay me to go walk around anywhere with a mask on right now. This is the worst time of year in Florida to require people to wear masks.

Jrb1979

I need to vent for a second. I’ve noticed for the last several weeks that there have been a lot of people on social media who are calling out those who don’t want to wear masks at the theme parks. I’ve also noticed, the majority of them, don’t live in Florida. I understand, that it’s really easy to be blinded by the “magic” and “pixie dust”, but let’s hear what you have to say when you actually come here and have to wear your mask in 95 degree humidity all day. I walked to the mailbox this morning at 9AM, which took about 3 minutes, and it was MISERABLE out. You couldn’t pay me to go walk around anywhere with a mask on right now. This is the worst time of year in Florida to require people to wear masks.
Hence why it was mentioned Disney wanted to wait til the end of August when heat wouldn't be such a factor.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
Hence why it was mentioned Disney wanted to wait til the end of August when heat wouldn't be such a factor.

There isn’t such a large swing of temperatures at the end of August/beginning of September that is going to make it more bearable to wear a mask. It can still reach into the 90’s.

If they’re waiting that long they’re probably hoping to have to forego the mask requirements all together.

Mouse Trap

Part of the issue for Walt Disney World is that the federal government is currently paying cast members receiving unemployment a sum equal to $600 per each week they are out... and Disney simply can't match those amounts if they bring back cast. The federal government will (presumably) cease those payments after July.

Well this is 100% false and can’t possibly be an issue regarding reopening because...

1. Disney or ANY employer are under no obligation to match what the federal government is giving when they bring employees back to work. In fact the Universal employees returning to work in a few weeks will only be receiving 80% of their salaries as they have for the last few weeks of the shutdown.

2. If an employee refuses to come back to work after being furloughed then they are technically disqualified from receiving any cash unemployment benefits.

Last edited:

Amused to Death

I walked to the mailbox this morning at 9AM, which took about 3 minutes, and it was MISERABLE out. You couldn’t pay me to go walk around anywhere with a mask on right now.
Yup. I'm a quick five minutes from the Mouse, but I have no desire to hop on over there as long as masks are required. Two or three minutes walking in/out of Publix with a mask on is bad enough. I couldn't imagine several hours or an entire day and night in the parks. No thanks!

WDW Pro

Original Poster
Well this is 100% false and can’t possibly be an issue regarding reopening because...

1. Disney or ANY employer are under no obligation to match what the federal government is giving when they bring employees back to work. In fact the Universal employees returning to work in a few weeks will only be receiving 80% of their salary/hourly wage, as they have for the last few weeks of the shutdown.

2. If an employee refuses to come back to work after being furloughed then they are technically disqualified from receiving any cash unemployment benefits.

You've misread.

Imagineer45

Part of the issue for Walt Disney World is that the federal government is currently paying cast members receiving unemployment a sum equal to $600 per each week they are out... and Disney simply can't match those amounts if they bring back cast. The federal government will (presumably) cease those payments after July.

1. Disney or ANY employer are under no obligation to match what the federal government is giving when they bring employees back to work. In fact the Universal employees returning to work in a few weeks will only be receiving 80% of their salary/hourly wage, as they have for the last few weeks of the shutdown.

Disney is not under any obligation to match payments, but as an individual, why would you drop unemployment, leave the safety of your house, just to get a job that does not pay as well? One of my friends who owns a small business has been facing this predicament for the past two weeks. He has been unable to reopen only because his workers are choosing to receive government checks instead.

It would not surprise me in any way for Disney to hold off on reopening as long as they can A) so furloughed cast can get as much govt cash as possible with all this money going out (I know FL is having major issues with this), B) time to ramp up everything to open altogether as much as possible, C) hope these restrictions start to ease up. Once restrictions start to ease up, especially on the mask issue, it will be less of a concern for people who are hesitant to visit because of having to wear a mask in the summer.

Jrb1979

It would not surprise me in any way for Disney to hold off on reopening as long as they can A) so furloughed cast can get as much govt cash as possible with all this money going out (I know FL is having major issues with this), B) time to ramp up everything to open altogether as much as possible, C) hope these restrictions start to ease up. Once restrictions start to ease up, especially on the mask issue, it will be less of a concern for people who are hesitant to visit because of having to wear a mask in the summer.
While I agree it does make sense for Disney to do that. The people who reserved for the summer won't be happy

Disstevefan1

There isn’t such a large swing of temperatures at the end of August/beginning of September that is going to make it more bearable to wear a mask. It can still reach into the 90’s.

If they’re waiting that long they’re probably hoping to have to forego the mask requirements all together.

I was thinking the same thing. Will Disney wait for all social distancing and mask rules to be relaxed before opening????

It makes Disney look good, people before profit (Disney does not consider the cast members that lost their jobs as people), and they save all that work and money to get the parks and resorts set up.

Disney Springs does not count as its a glorified mall with tenants, if Disney as the landlord wants to get the rent, they gotta let their tenants at least try to make the money to pay the rent.

DVCakaCarlF

Disney is not under any obligation to match payments, but as an individual, why would you drop unemployment, leave the safety of your house, just to get a job that does not pay as well? One of my friends who owns a small business has been facing this predicament for the past two weeks. He has been unable to reopen only because his workers are choosing to receive government checks instead.
Depending on both the state and circumstances, yes, you can “refuse” to both go back to work and continue to collect unemployment. The lack of childcare is a leading cause, under Pandemic Unemployment Assistance, to continue to qualify for benefits.

That all being said, if FL is anything like SC, the employer does not need to “match” anything in a “right to work” state.

lazyboy97o

Because it’s not really a choice. Quitting your job means you are no longer eligible for those payments.

While I agree it does make sense for Disney to do that. The people who reserved for the summer won't be happy
While those folks won't be happy, and understandably so, I think Disney knows in the short-term they may be unhappy about the situation, but once this clears up, they will still come to their parks and resorts rather than the competition. It seems as though everybody on here is thinking short-term, but Disney is playing the long-game and is properly calculating the risk/reward and how they can keep the experience as close to normal without having to make major compromises.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom