Universal Puts Disney's Reopening on Defensive

TrojanUSC

Just to clarify for those who may think of the surprise as literal, nothing in this choice took Disney by surprise. It was a business choice based on where they were placed with their over head company after furloughing so many and having to deal with larger properties. Not a great look in my opinion, but they made the choice and make no mistake, it was not like Comcast's Parks or Sea World and Resorts sprung this on Disney.

The reality is if during June UO has an outbreak on property, Disney will look like geniuses.

In addition to unique logistical issues Disney might face, just because Uni makes a decision doesn't necessarily mean that decision is the correct one.

This. Plus far fewer people are traveling from out of state just to go to Universal. There is still a CDC order advising people not to travel unless it is for essential purposes.

The Pho

Did I not see that SeaWorld was planning for June 1st as well? And LegoLand is also opening June 1st. So it would seem to me that everyone except Disney was on the same page.
SeaWorld Orlando stated “sometime in June”. They were trying to reopen their San Antonio park last weekend, but hadn’t gotten approval yet.

Meanwhile Fun Spot Orlando reopened today.

celluloid

The reality is if June 15th UO has an outbreak on property, Disney will look like geniuses.

I would not go that far. Also the date prediction is kind of pointless right? There is nothing that says the infection takes two weeks anymore. What an arbitrary concept. Is it any worse if it happens at a Universal theme park that has percautions to make it not crowded or a Disney springs with similar precautions? The turnstyles do not magically make a difference for the spread.

seascape

That August 31 opening would be a nightmare for DVC. They already have a points issue now. Also, how could they open just MK resorts and leave other DVC resorts closed?
How would they handle the issue of DVC members from NJ, NY and CT being denied entry into the parks?

Sir_Cliff

I would not go that far. Also the date prediction is kind of pointless right? There is nothing that says the infection takes two weeks anymore. What an arbitrary concept. Is it any worse if it happens at a Universal theme park that has percautions to make it not crowded or a Disney springs?
I think the point is more that if an outbreak is tied to Universal while Disney has held back and remained closed, Disney will look sensible and responsible while Universal will look like it opened too early and risked people's lives in the process.

Honestly, I hope Disney doesn't rush reopening plans just to catch up to Uni.

*Cinderelly*

In the Parks
No
Why is it always like a following the leader type thing when it comes to Disney and Universal? Disney is full of Big Boys and Girls capable of making decisions on their own. I guarantee you they are not sitting around the table saying to themselves like, "Woah, Universal made a decision to open in June and now our backs are up against a wall." Disney needs to stick with a game plan here to what they feel is the safest and best time frame to open up and don't worry about what Universal is doing. We as Disney fans do this with everything between Disney and Universal such as, "OMG Universal has such success with Harry Potter Disney better get on the ball with something to top that or Universal is going to take over. " Disney is going to make a sound decision when they feel it is the correct time. Will that be July, August or later? Who knows.

celluloid

I think the point is more that if an outbreak is tied to Universal while Disney has held back and remained closed, Disney will look sensible and responsible while Universal will look like it opened too early and risked people's lives in the process.

They won't. They have Uncle Sam's debt until July and their logstics to work out. So they are going to play as close as possible to that.

nickys

Premium Member
How would they handle the issue of DVC members from NJ, NY and CT being denied entry into the parks?
The same as they will handle the fact no international members will be able to go. They won’t handle it, it’s one of those things that is outwith anyone’s control. Bank your points, deposit them into RCI, rent them out, lose them. And entry to the parks has nothing to do with DVC membership, there is nothing that guarantees park entry.

Disstevefan1

This sounds totally believable. The major question from all of this, is what about Universal? There seem to be some unsolvable problems with reopening at this time. Is Universal just totally cavalier? The issues you mentioned are not minor. I’m as happy about reopening as anyone, but I just don’t see how it works. I also don’t see how these companies make money.

If DeSantis, Disney, and Universal decide to just swing the doors open, that’s their choice. But that’s a gamble risk-averse Disney would never normally choose. I also still expect Epcot to remain closed. Are they thinking this is going to be a normal summer? This would be a radical departure...

None of these openings are "swing the doors open" kinds things at all. In whatever capacity they initially open, its going to be a miserable, substandard, watered down experience. No winners here and the biggest loser will be the guests in my opinion.

WDW Pro

Original Poster

Thus far Florida, Texas, Tennessee, and Colorado have been models for reopening with dense population centers. I'd imagine Florida will continue to do an excellent job and will advise theme parks in a way that prevents outbreaks. If WDW were in New York or New Jersey, then it would be a drastically different scenario.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom