Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

Disneylover152

Guys, guys, guys, we all know the real reason we got the crummy Incredicoaster; it's because "Disney and Pixar's Incredibles 2, now playing in theatres!". Kind of like the toys that come and go in Happy Meals. Wait- summer movie? Happy Meal toys.. Poultry Palace? Pixar Pier?! That's it! Pixar Pier is basically one giant, flavor of the month, poorly designed Happy Meal toy!

Joking aside, if they really wanted to do something special with that coaster in Pixar Pier it should have been Monsters Inc. themed. Imagine an elaborate storyline where the Monsters want to collect the Guest's screams in giant, specially designed "scream canisters" (the giant tubes on the side of the coaster) which in turn helps power the entire pier itself. I know laugher is more powerful than scream but if Guests are gonna be giving out free screams anyways, why wouldn't they collect? But that didn't happen.. probably because it would have costed more money. Also, because Monsters Inc. didn't have a new movie coming out that summer to tie into and merchandise. :(

Anyways, what was this thread about? Avengers? Carry on!

If they took the classic Mickey approach they gave to other Paradise Pier rides, and brought it to every ride on the boardwalk, that could have turned out so cool. Mickey skin of Toy Story Mania, Goofy skin on Screamin', Fantasia Carousel. And Runaway Railway in the expansion pad behind Screamin'. Imagine how cool that would be.

And then they could have took Paradise Gardens and made it into a Coco area. There's enough room there for a Shanghai Peter Pan size Dark ride, and a few restaurants & shops. Maybe it could have been the New Orleans Square of DCA. And if they wanted to do a Incredibles ride to celebrate Incredibles 2, they should have made an Incredibles ride using the Kuka Arm system in the Backlot. But all of this costs money.

Nw I'm getting sad we got Pixar Pier instead of some really cool stuff. But let's face it, all of that would never happen under modern Disney. DCA will always be the Happy Meal Toy park as long as Chapek is in charge.

lazyboy97o

f they took the classic Mickey approach they gave to other Paradise Pier rides, and brought it to every ride on the boardwalk, that could have turned out so cool. Mickey skin of Toy Story Mania, Goofy skin on Screamin', Fantasia Carousel. And Runaway Railway in the expansion pad behind Screamin'. Imagine how cool that would be.
How is slapping Fab Five graphics on things any different than slapping Pixar characters onto things?

Disneylover152

How is slapping Fab Five graphics on things any different than slapping Pixar characters onto things?

The fab five was already slapped onto some things (Goofy's Sky School, Silly Syphony Swings, Mickey's Fun Wheel, Games of the Boardwalk). There isn't much difference, except it would make the entire area much more cohesive. Rather than having 4 distinctly different areas celebrating movies that don't relate to each other besides Pixar, you have one distinct style. Plus the Mickey Shorts cartoons came out around the same time Paradise Pier took place. It just, at least to me, fits better.

Last edited:

TROR

The fab five was already slapped onto some things (Goofy's Sky School, Silly Syphony Swings, Mickey's Fun Wheel, Games of the Boardwalk). There isn't much difference, except it would make the entire area much more cohesive. Rather than having 4 distinctly different areas celebrating movies that don't relate to each other besides Pixar, you have one distinct style. Plus the Mickey Shorts cartoons came out around the same time Paradise Pier took place. It just, at least to me, fits better.
Not to mention Mickey Mouse has more charm.

Disneylover152

I thought of all this after I posted that above, it's just more of a rant that has nothing to do with Avengers Campus.

A Pixar Pier area could have worked, but they didn't put the money into it to make it work. The only inspiration to it was to showcase the hottest Pixar IPs of 2018- Incredibles, Inside Out, Toy Story. If they wanted to make a Pixar Pier, they could have/should have done it right. A Finding Nemo section, a Coco Music Bandstand, etc. Ya know, things that would make somewhat sense on a pier. Why is the Incredibles House on a Pier? And why is there a roller coaster going through it? And why does this take place in Metroville (whatever the town is called), I thought we were on a pier? Why is there this huge happy meal box on this pier? Wait, Riley's Brain is a totally different area than a pier?

They were passing it off as a new name/land, when all it was was incohesive structures and a messy execution. Statues added around and a new paint job. Retheming Paradise Pier to Mickey Shorts would have just added to the DCA 2.0 concept that was abandoned mid-way. It wouldn't have been trying to pass itself off as a new land, but as an enhancement. Plus statics of Mickey Mouse & Friends would work, after all it is a 1920s Pier. Idk this all makes sense in my head, idk if it makes sense to y'all. I enjoy aspects of Pixar Pier (the entrance area & the promenade), but the entire land is just messy.

But relating this back to Avengers Campus, it's the same thing, just with a slightly bigger budget. Silicon Valley is a huge aspect of California's economy, not to mention the people who created it were dreamers/innovators that came to the Golden State (relating it back to the DCA 2.0 dedication). Why couldn't Avengers Campus be a Silicon Valley themed area with Marvel attractions? Why does it have to be this Superhero Campus that just so happens to be located in California.

mickEblu

Guys, guys, guys, we all know the real reason we got the crummy Incredicoaster; it's because "Disney and Pixar's Incredibles 2, now playing in theatres!". Kind of like the toys that come and go in Happy Meals. Wait- summer movie? Happy Meal toys.. Poultry Palace? Pixar Pier?! That's it! Pixar Pier is basically one giant, flavor of the month, poorly designed Happy Meal toy!

Joking aside, if they really wanted to do something special with that coaster in Pixar Pier it should have been Monsters Inc. themed. Imagine an elaborate storyline where the Monsters want to collect the Guest's screams in giant, specially designed "scream canisters" (the giant tubes on the side of the coaster) which in turn helps power the entire pier itself. I know laugher is more powerful than scream but if Guests are gonna be giving out free screams anyways, why wouldn't they collect? But that didn't happen.. probably because it would have costed more money. Also, because Monsters Inc. didn't have a new movie coming out that summer to tie into and merchandise. :(

Anyways, what was this thread about? Avengers? Carry on!

or maybe you have a better imagination than some of the people at WDI?

mickEblu

Pixar Pier is a crappy overlay but I have to be honest, the Pier is still one of the best areas of the park. It just has good bones. A lot of kinetic energy. The bay. All of the lights at night and the vista with the Fun Wheel/ icon of the park. Tbh I spend more time there than I do in Cars Land. Mostly because of Paradise Gardens and the size/ number of attractions. Pixar Pier is an attractive person in ugly clothes.

Pixar Pier is like the Tomorrowland of DCA. Fun but ugly and disjointed

Last edited:

Disneylover152

Pixar Pier is a crappy overlay but I have to be honest, the Pier is still one of the best areas of the park. It just has good bones. A lot of kinetic energy. The bay. All of the lights at night. Tbh I spend more time there than I do in Cars Land. Pixar Pier is an attractive person in ugly clothes.

Pixar Pier is like the Tomorrowland of DCA. Fun but ugly and disjointed

It's beautiful, but it's disjointed. I love the Pixar Promenade & entrance area by Lamplight. And I adore the views of it from around the park. It's the Toy Story, Incredibles & Inside Out areas I dislike.

George Lucas on a Bench

More of a generic Disney theme would have been better. I don't understand why it had to be so Pixar-centric aside from "We're doing a Pixar thing and can slap these properties in here." Mickey is on the ferris wheel but it's a Pixar ride. They integrated the Disney characters so well in Buena Vista St with period costumes and went all-out with Carland actually making it an exact replica of the movie. Pixar Pier feels more like old DCA that everyone hated. Every opportunity to improve the area was botched.

mickEblu

It's beautiful, but it's disjointed. I love the Pixar Promenade & entrance area by Lamplight. And I adore the views of it from around the park. It's the Toy Story, Incredibles & Inside Out areas I dislike.

The only things that stand out to me as ugly are the red scream tunnels and Buzz’s happy meal box restaurant as it looks terrible from the other side of the bay. Also the Inside out spinner area leaves a lot to be desired. I do find it disjointed though.

mickEblu

More of a generic Disney theme would have been better. I don't understand why it had to be so Pixar-centric aside from "We're doing a Pixar thing and can slap these properties in here." Mickey is on the ferris wheel but it's a Pixar ride. They integrated the Disney characters so well in Buena Vista St with period costumes and went all-out with Carland actually making it an exact replica of the movie. Pixar Pier feels more like old DCA that everyone hated. Every opportunity to improve the area was botched.

It’s all about $$$. They wanted the Pixar merch money but weren’t willing to sacrifice the icon of the park. Just shows how much of a mess they are. With that said, I’m glad Mickeys face survived.

Sharon&Susan

Anyone know if there's going to be a wall or something similar that hides the dancing tractor ride from the Avenger's Campus side?

Looked out of place next to Bug's Land and can't imagine that it'd be different for this.

Mike730

I'm not sure how much has already been discussed here, but some relevant tidbits dropped in the east coast avengers thread:

To clarify, DCA was originally a coaster and is now a simulator-esque attraction. To my knowledge, the plan was never for all three Avengers E-Tickets to be the same. At best, two would be shared.
Paris’s E was originally planned to occupy a portion of the Motors, Action plot. Unfortunately, it was always a “phase 2,” That (once the full WDS plans went public), realistically wouldn’t come before Rise. With cuts being looked at, I wouldn’t be shocked to see it be one of the first to be cut from the long term plan (especially with it not being officially announced).

As for the fate of Anaheim and Hong Kong, Anaheim will likely get done out of necessity for DCA (I expect Avengers Campus to get low ratings and so do they, which is why they already announced that land’s future anchor), and be done out of governmental obligation in HK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom