Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

jmuboy

The real problem is that they tried to add a "theme" to a roller coaster that was already themed.....to a roller coaster.
giphy.gif

This 100%!!!!

AMEN!

California Screamin was NOT perfect but it worked for the area. This Incredibles ride is a mess in its execution. I look forward to the "retro" redo in a few years when this JUNK is removed and we can just have a plain roller coaster again.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
There's nothing clever about being meta. It's like pointing a book and saying "this is a book." Wow, brilliant.
I'm not going to get into an argument on whether is clever or brilliant. All I stated was that it was very popular. You don't have to like it if you don't want to, but a lot of people do. And that is what Disney is doing, going after the people with money that do like it because they pay the bills.

mickEblu

I'm not going to get into an argument on whether is clever or brilliant. All I stated was that it was very popular. You don't have to like it if you don't want to, but a lot of people do. And that is what Disney is doing, going after the people with money that do like it because they pay the bills.

People don’t like it because it’s Meta they like it because it’s still a roller coaster and it has some familiar characters attached.

On another note, the lines aren’t any longer than they were when it was Screamin

Disney Irish

Premium Member
People don’t like it because it’s Meta they like it because it’s still a roller coaster and it has some familiar characters attached.

On another note, the lines aren’t any longer than it was when it was Screamin
Sorry I think you missed what I was saying.

I'm not saying that Incredicoaster is more popular because its Meta. What I was saying is the Meta craze is popular these days and that Disney is going after those people that favor Meta. Hence things like Rocket referencing Disneyland, the Incredicoaster, etc. Again its not a debate about whether its appropriate or even whether its making the said attractions more popular. Its merely just stating a fact that A. Meta is popular these days, and B. that Disney is adding Meta into their parks to cater to those that like it.

Its similar to the Googie phase that everyone was going through in the 50s and 60s. Consider Meta a design aesthetic that is being used these days.

mickEblu

Sorry I think you missed what I was saying.

I'm not saying that Incredicoaster is more popular because its Meta. What I was saying is the Meta craze is popular these days and that Disney is going after those people that favor Meta. Hence things like Rocket referencing Disneyland, the Incredicoaster, etc. Again its not a debate about whether its appropriate or even whether its making the said attractions more popular. Its merely just stating a fact that A. Meta is popular these days, and B. that Disney is adding Meta into their parks to cater to those that like it.

Its similar to the Googie phase that everyone was going through in the 50s and 60s. Consider Meta a design aesthetic that is being used these days.

No apology necessary. I don’t think that’s Disney’s intention at all with the overlay choices. It’s just the only way (or best way in their eyes) they could come up with a story line so the coaster could be themed to some of their Pixar characters. Same with GOTG. The imagineers came up with that ridiculous KABLAM story because there is no other way to explain what the heck it’s doing in Hollywoodland. Rockets line on the ride is just a throw away line that continues the story they were forced to come up with. And it also works with his character.

Keep in mind both of your examples are overlays that forced the imagineers hand

Disney Irish

Premium Member
No apology necessary. I don’t think that’s Disney’s intention at all with the overlay choices. It’s just the only way (or best way in their eyes) they could come up with a story line so the coaster could be themed to some of their Pixar characters. Same with GOTG. The imagineers came up with that ridiculous KABLAM story because there is no other way to explain what the heck it’s doing in Hollywoodland. Rockets line on the ride is just a throw away line that continues the story they were forced to come up with. And it also works with his character.

Keep in mind both of your examples are overlays that forced the imagineers hand
That still doesn't change the fact that Meta is very popular these days.

Did they have to design it using Meta even if they were "forced" into the project as you said, no. They could have gone in another direction, could have used another technique. Its a design choice they purposely made, maybe it was easier with the story being told, but its still a choice they made. And I feel it was made because its the popular trend at this time. Its also why you see it everywhere in entertainment from books to movies to tv shows and everything in-between. Just like I mentioned that Googie was popular in the 50s and 60s and so you saw a lot of designs followed the same trend because it was popular.

Now again you don't have to like it, but it is what it is. Disney just like every other company out there follows trends.

mickEblu

That still doesn't change the fact that Meta is very popular these days.

Did they have to design it using Meta even if they were "forced" into the project as you said, no. They could have gone in another direction, could have used another technique. Its a design choice they purposely made, maybe it was easier with the story being told, but its still a choice they made. And I feel it was made because its the popular trend at this time. Its also why you see it everywhere in entertainment from books to movies to tv shows and everything in-between. Just like I mentioned that Googie was popular in the 50s and 60s and so you saw a lot of designs followed the same trend because it was popular.

Now again you don't have to like it, but it is what it is. Disney just like every other company out there follows trends.

Again, I don’t care but you re moving the goal posts. You insinuated Disney was catering to people who like meta and that was why they made certain choices for those two attractions. I’m saying that it wasn’t their intention but a byproduct of their decision. Now you re saying it doesn’t change the fact that “meta is popular.” Not what we re talking about.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Again, I don’t care but you re moving the goal posts. You insinuated Disney was catering to people who like meta and that was why they made certain choices for those two attractions. I’m saying that it wasn’t their intention but a byproduct of their decision. Now you re saying it doesn’t change the fact that “meta is popular.” Not what we re talking about.
Well ok then, I have no issue stating that maybe I'm incorrect. However that doesn't mean you are. You yourself are stating something that you don't know is true or not, but just a feeling you have or rather an opinion on why they made a decision. Quite honestly we both could be right. That they used Meta because they were forced into it, but also decided to go ahead with it because its a popular trend used in both design and the entertainment industry today.

Anyways, it doesn't matter at this point. Its there, and we have to just accept it again whether we like it or not.

DavidDL

Guys, guys, guys, we all know the real reason we got the crummy Incredicoaster; it's because "Disney and Pixar's Incredibles 2, now playing in theatres!". Kind of like the toys that come and go in Happy Meals. Wait- summer movie? Happy Meal toys.. Poultry Palace? Pixar Pier?! That's it! Pixar Pier is basically one giant, flavor of the month, poorly designed Happy Meal toy!

Joking aside, if they really wanted to do something special with that coaster in Pixar Pier it should have been Monsters Inc. themed. Imagine an elaborate storyline where the Monsters want to collect the Guest's screams in giant, specially designed "scream canisters" (the giant tubes on the side of the coaster) which in turn helps power the entire pier itself. I know laugher is more powerful than scream but if Guests are gonna be giving out free screams anyways, why wouldn't they collect? But that didn't happen.. probably because it would have costed more money. Also, because Monsters Inc. didn't have a new movie coming out that summer to tie into and merchandise. :(

Anyways, what was this thread about? Avengers? Carry on!

Ismael Flores

Joking aside, if they really wanted to do something special with that coaster in Pixar Pier it should have been Monsters Inc. themed. Imagine an elaborate storyline where the Monsters want to collect the Guest's screams in giant, specially designed "scream canisters" (the giant tubes on the side of the coaster) which in turn helps power the entire pier itself. I know laugher is more powerful than scream but if Guests are gonna be giving out free screams anyways, why wouldn't they collect? But that didn't happen.. probably because it would have costed more money. Also, because Monsters Inc. didn't have a new movie coming out that summer to tie into and merchandise. :(

I am still waiting for my Emperor's new groove coaster. - "Pull the Lever!!" "Wrong Lever"

TROR

Guys, guys, guys, we all know the real reason we got the crummy Incredicoaster; it's because "Disney and Pixar's Incredibles 2, now playing in theatres!". Kind of like the toys that come and go in Happy Meals. Wait- summer movie? Happy Meal toys.. Poultry Palace? Pixar Pier?! That's it! Pixar Pier is basically one giant, flavor of the month, poorly designed Happy Meal toy!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom