Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Anyone have any reports from the limited re-opening of Disney Springs? Wasn't it supposed to commence yesterday?
@wdwmagic has pictures and a video walkthrough on the main page. I wasn’t there but it looked pretty organized and for the most part from what I saw a majority of the people were following the rules. If you search online there’s examples on twitter and other Disney sites of one-off pictures of people without masks or not social distancing. There was one report of a CM who passed out but other than that no major issues that I have seen.

Edit: there were these people who decided to grill hotdogs. I think they figured if they did something completely bizarre and unexpected nobody would notice they had no masks on;)

Photo credit: Bradley Kenobi

Making hot dogs over an open flame at Disney Springs.

“The success of our reopening depends on our guests behavior ” *sigh*

View attachment 471583

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

techgeek

@wdwmagic has pictures and a video walkthrough on the main page. I wasn’t there but it looked pretty organized and for the most part from what I saw a majority of the people were following the rules. If you search online there’s examples on twitter and other Disney sites of one-off pictures of people without masks or not social distancing. There was one report of a CM who passed out but other than that no major issues that I have seen.

I mean, maybe it wasn’t a ‘major’ issue but that hibachi set-up is definitely making the highlights reel for the year...

Sweet Thing

No clue if this will continue at the parks too but it looks like at least for DS for now they are not giving people medical exceptions for the mask rule. No mask, no entry. Firm rule.

Kennedy Space Center has also said they will not be making accommodations and for those who can’t wear masks to visit when masks aren’t mandatory.

Attachments

• D9DA01A0-18C3-4A36-8261-E46583D8FDEF.jpeg
    D9DA01A0-18C3-4A36-8261-E46583D8FDEF.jpeg
    157.1 KB · Views: 91

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Disneyland has extended the expiration dates on their dated tickets through 2021.

View attachment 471591

Not a promising sign for the west coasters
Whether the parks open next month or next year this should have been done anyway. If/when they do open in 2020 it’s a modified experience so they should let people who choose not to go under those conditions extend into next year. If things haven’t improved enough by Dec 2021 that we don’t need to jump through all these hoops to visits a Disney park then we have much bigger problems than visiting the Disney parks with restrictions. I wouldn’t be surprised to see WDW do the same thing for any 2020 park tickets not used.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Kennedy Space Center has also said they will not be making accommodations and for those who can’t wear masks to visit when masks aren’t mandatory.
Given the circumstances I think that’s reasonable but Disney was recently sued for changing the GAC. I don’t see that group being happy if they can’t visit WDW when it opens. Could be another lawsuit brewing. I personally don’t see any way around the situation. If they make medical exceptions to the mask rule then just don’t have the rule.

RYAN1987M

Sorry, I'm quite new to this forum and I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask. With regards to the recent round of reservation cancellations...what does 'modify' mean?

Is it possible to 'lift & shift' your current reservation to new dates without affecting cost? I'm assuming not.

Or is modify more like - book a new reservation and we'll apply whatever you've already paid towards your new reservation?

carolina_yankee

Wading into the mask debate is probably not wise for one who is mostly a lurker, but I haven't seen this study posted, and I find it interesting given that it is an actual study:

Critical levels of mask efficiency and of mask adoption that theoretically extinguish respiratory virus epidemics

I haven't read it through yet, but here's the abstract. If true, it would seem to shift the conversation very much in favor wearing masks, and also speaks to the problems if one person is wearing a mask and another isn't.

Along with studies showing the difficulty of contracting the virus from surfaces, masks and hand washing would seem to be the best lines of defense if around other people.

Abstract
Using a respiratory virus epidemiological model we derive equations for the critical levels of mask efficiency (fraction blocked) and mask adoption (fraction of population wearing masks) that lower the effective reproduction number to unity. The model extends a basic epidemiological model and assumes that a specified fraction of a population dons masks at a given initial number of infections. The model includes a contribution from the ocular (nasolacrimal duct) route, and does not include contributions from contact (fomite) routes. The model accommodates dose-response (probability of infection) functions that are linear or non-linear. Our motivation to study near-population-wide mask wearing arises from the concept that, between two mask wearers, the concentration of particles at inhalation should be the square of the mask penetration fraction. This combination, or team, of masks can provide a strong dose-lowering squaring effect, which enables the use of lower-efficiency, lower- cost, lower pressure-drop (easier breathing) masks.
For an epidemic with basic reproduction number R0=2.5 and with a linear dose-response, the critical mask efficiency is calculated to be 0.5 for a mask adoption level of 0.8 of the population. Importantly,

this efficiency is well below that of a N95 mask, and well above that of some fabric masks. Numerical solutions of the model at near-critical levels of mask efficiency and mask adoption demonstrate avoidance of epidemics. To be conservative we use mask efficiencies measured with the most- penetrating viral-particle sizes. The critical mask adoption level for surgical masks with an efficiency of 0.58 is computed to be 0.73. With surgical masks (or equally efficient substitutes) and 80% and 90% adoption levels, respiratory epidemics with R0 of about 3 and 4, respectively, would be theoretically extinguished.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Sorry, I'm quite new to this forum and I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask. With regards to the recent round of reservation cancellations...what does 'modify' mean?

Is it possible to 'lift & shift' your current reservation to new dates without affecting cost? I'm assuming not.

Or is modify more like - book a new reservation and we'll apply whatever you've already paid towards your new reservation?
I want to say the latter.

Miss Bella

You can change the dates or resort online. That is what is meant by modify. You will have to pay the new price. As far as now discounts haven't been released past Aug 31.

Tom P.

If it is a vaccine like the so called flu “ vaccine” I won’t get it. If you can’t guarantee it prevents the disease it seems pointless to me!
There are no vaccines that are guaranteed to prevent a disease. Such a thing does not exist. Yes, some vaccines work better than others, but nothing is 100% effective. So are you suggesting that all vaccines are pointless?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My 2 cents on the vaccine debate...No vaccine is 100% effective. I think the MMR is 95% but that’s one of the best. I wouldn’t count on a coronavirus vaccine being that effective. Coronavirus is much less contagious than measles so it doesn’t need to be. Nobody knows for sure but the high end of estimates on percent needed to achieve herd immunity is 60%. So let’s say 2/3 of the population (220M people) choose to be vaccinated but the vaccine is only 85% effective that means about 57% of the population is immune via vaccine. Add in a few percent for people who have already been infected naturally and choose not to get the vaccine and you are right around 60%. Could be good enough. If less than half the population is vaccinated we drop into the low 40s as a percent. That may not be good enough to get it done. That could be devastating longer term for the economy. If a vaccine comes out and we start rebuilding the economy full steam another outbreak would be a worst case scenario. In past history with double dip recessions the second dip is always way worse than the first.

On the topic of vaccines in general, there’s no point trying to change anyone’s mind. Nobody is going to read a comment on a Disney fan board and decide that vaccines are suddenly good. IMHO it’s a waste of time to even try. Just accept that some people have different opinions and move on. Just my 2 cents :)

DCBaker

Premium Member
Legoland has been give permission by the city to open June 1st, but they still need state approval -

"While an official announcement has not yet been made, the Winter Haven City Commission gave Legoland Florida the O.K. to reopen after Rex Jackson, general manager, detailed the theme park’s sanitation, social distancing, and other restrictions it would operate until during the COVID-19 crisis. The park will still need state approval in order to reopen, however.

Once fully approved, the park will reopen with a maximum 50-percent capacity, which is about 6,000 people. Legoland will also recommend, though not require, that all guests wear a face mask; complimentary face masks will be provided for those who don’t bring one.

Legoland will also enforce the 50-percent capacity limitation at other facilities inside the park, including restaurants, live entertainment venues, the new Pirate Island Hotel and the original Legoland Hotel. Some attractions will not reopen in June, due to social distancing requirements. These include some games, interactive play areas, and meet and greets with characters."

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Legoland has been give permission by the city to open June 1st, but they still need state approval -

"While an official announcement has not yet been made, the Winter Haven City Commission gave Legoland Florida the O.K. to reopen after Rex Jackson, general manager, detailed the theme park’s sanitation, social distancing, and other restrictions it would operate until during the COVID-19 crisis. The park will still need state approval in order to reopen, however.

Once fully approved, the park will reopen with a maximum 50-percent capacity, which is about 6,000 people. Legoland will also recommend, though not require, that all guests wear a face mask; complimentary face masks will be provided for those who don’t bring one.

Legoland will also enforce the 50-percent capacity limitation at other facilities inside the park, including restaurants, live entertainment venues, the new Pirate Island Hotel and the original Legoland Hotel. Some attractions will not reopen in June, due to social distancing requirements. These include some games, interactive play areas, and meet and greets with characters."

Interesting. 6000 is definitely 50-percent capacity. 6000 people in LEGOLAND Florida is also a lot of people and is usually the equivalent to a peak day for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom