Rebecca Campbell Out As President of Disneyland - Heading to DTCI

brb1006

Jeff and Josh at Disney Springs this morning
3ede9dc7-c9cf-4a0b-b7a0-276011c45765-jpeg.471442

Mouse Trap

Original Poster
Even with taxes, 115K a year in Southern California is a great income. Someone making that much money would be fine here.

Yeah seriously. Home prices and rent are certainly expensive, but you can live quite nicely on $115k. There aren't a lot of companies outside of HCOL areas that'll give you that salary for most positions either.

If you've got three kids, want a room for each and live near the best schools -- yeah, $115k will be tight -- but you can manage. Just a single person or couple? You've got it made.

But don't tell anyone outside of SoCal that... prices will just go up! It's impossible to afford anything here!!

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Yeah seriously. Home prices and rent are certainly expensive, but you can live quite nicely on $115k. There aren't a lot of companies outside of HCOL areas that'll give you that salary for most positions either.

If you've got three kids, want a room for each and live near the best schools -- yeah, $115k will be tight -- but you can manage. Just a single person or couple? You've got it made.

But don't tell anyone outside of SoCal that... prices will just go up! It's impossible to afford anything here!!

Right. There are millions of people living here and clearly not everyone is making $100K+/yr. There are pockets where housing is quite cheap. They’re not in desirable areas, but desirable areas are more expensive everywhere, not just California.

California undoubtedly is expensive, but it’s not impossible to live and thrive here if you’re not a millionaire.

TP2000

A $115K a year Communications manager in Orlando would like a king in Central Florida with no state income tax. Not so living around the Burbank area.

Yes, I was imagining that the Communications manager who wrote Mr. Potrock's meaningless introductory statement was based out of Burbank. The cheaper ones based in Orlando have all been furloughed.

Even with taxes, 115K a year in Southern California is a great income. Someone making that much money would be fine here.

They would be solidly middle class here in OC. But they should also be capable of writing a fake quote for a new exec that is believable and at least comes off as semi-genuine.

The drivel they released yesterday and attributed to Mr. Potrock was just laughably bad. If they are getting $115K per year for that level of work performance, they owe someone a lot of money. 🧐

TP2000

Most movies or shows do featurettes, not unlike Disneyland’s, interviewing various members of a production and their contributions to the title.

I know you’re really caught up on the title mostly, because surely is was some out-of-touch-cubicle-drone who decided it, but the content of the videos isn’t bad, or wrong- and I’m not ashamed to say I’ve watched almost every single one.

The horticulture one especially interested me!

I’m even watching the Mandelorian’s entire new show called Disney Gallery which basically could be titled every role a starring role.

And I’d almost argue the title isn’t all that sappy. When you’re at Disneyland, the Cast Members you visit with can really make or break your experience.

To the lovey young lady that stood with me for a full hour as I waited for my friends to get through Guardians, she damn sure was starring that day. Or the guy who remembered our conversation, and led us straight onto Luigi’s the next afternoon, he was a star!

I’d rather Disneyland invest in their employees (financially would be best), and feature their work to the four people out there who care, than to pretend they’re all programmed Hosts at a Delos theme park.

People make Disneyland everyday.

I completely understand where you're coming from. And I too have watched several of those videos, they really are interesting!

I guess what sticks in my craw is the decision to brand all these obviously support roles as "Starring Roles!". If they had chosen a more nuanced and accurate descriptor for these jobs, I wouldn't have cared.

But then they probably wouldn't get as many YouTube clicks, and the TDA team tasked with this project likely don't have a nuanced vocabulary at their disposal. Everything now must be "Amazing!", even if you are just describing a new kitchen utensil or some other mundane part of daily life. :rolleyes:

These people are as "important" as Disneyland itself. Because without them, Disneyland is little more than a good idea and an elaborate collection of twisted steel and concrete. I think encouraging/reminding them to feel like they are making a difference in Guest's lives is a good change in mindset. Especially when some of them may feel like they don't have much else when held up against those who are "stars". They're already reminded enough that they aren't a president of operations or a big name actor when they see their paycheck each week. Yes, I agree Disneyland in concept is "bigger" than them. It's also worth absolutely nothing without them. Calling the churro salesman or sheet washer a "starring role" is just Disney/Disneyland trying to give a little something back. Something well deserved, in my humble opinion.

I love that! And I actually couldn't agree more.

The real way to reward the front line CM's would be to pay them what their work is worth (although the recent big jumps up to starting rates at $15 are a help), and then treat them with professional respect when they are at work by providing clean and comfortable break rooms, clean and plentiful parking shuttles, sparkling support services and a few fun perks, with top notch food service subsidized by the company. If Google can do it, so can Disney.

My fear is that belching out a YouTube series branding every support role in Anaheim as a "Starring Role!" is much cheaper and easier than actually investing in 30,000 CM's. I do not blame the CM's one bit for any of that, but I do place the blame at the feet of the TDA executives who approved this Starring Role concept and didn't realize what they were actually saying.

I'll end with this from Walt Disney, that I still think sums it up nicely...

"Disneyland is the star, everything else is in the supporting role." -Walt Disney

DavidDL

I love that! And I actually couldn't agree more.

The real way to reward the front line CM's would be to pay them what their work is worth (although the recent big jumps up to starting rates at $15 are a help), and then treat them with professional respect when they are at work by providing clean and comfortable break rooms, clean and plentiful parking shuttles, sparkling support services and a few fun perks, with top notch food service subsidized by the company. If Google can do it, so can Disney.

My fear is that belching out a YouTube series branding every support role in Anaheim as a "Starring Role!" is much cheaper and easier than actually investing in 30,000 CM's. I do not blame the CM's one bit for any of that, but I do place the blame at the feet of the TDA executives who approved this Starring Role concept and didn't realize what they were actually saying.

I'll end with this from Walt Disney, that I still think sums it up nicely...

"Disneyland is the star, everything else is in the supporting role." -Walt Disney

Yes, Disney should be doing everything it can to take care of its CMs, the pay increase was definitely a start (-and actually made me a bit jealous when I first learned of it!).

-and yeah, you're right that simply telling folks they matter is probably easier than proving it. I don't personally have an issue with the starring role shtick because I do believe it myself. But I can see why it would get a little eye-rolly for some folks on the outside looking in. In reality, these videos and messages should be made for and seen only by the cast. Putting them out there on YouTube not only slightly diminishes what they mean on a personal level (-and it really should be about the relation of employer to CM) but also could instead sort of be misconstrued as a PR stunt to convince us (the public) rather than the CMs themselves. At least, yeah, I could see why it would be viewed that way. "Look how much we say our employees mean to us!"

That's great and I do appreciate the video. But if more is done for them you won't need the video because even more of them will go on to spread the word about how great it is to work there on their own. :)

Nothing against the vids really, or terms used for the cast, it's a kind gesture. But it's gotta be more than words, they've got to back it up too. While I worked there, I enjoyed my time well enough. Since I have no frame of reference for how things are there these days, I just hope the CMs are being taken care of behind the scenes.

MarvelCharacterNerd

He also stole Jon Storbeck from Disneyland and put him in charge of Knott's, when Colglazier told Storbeck to go "do something else" because Storbeck was too much of an old-fashioned Walt guy.

Another brilliant strategic move by Michael Colglazier. :rolleyes:
Think Matt also stole the 'retired' Stan Freese, beloved former head of talent booking at Disneyland, who brought all of the entertainment cast from Disney whose shows had been cut over to perform at Knotts.

TP2000

I don't personally have an issue with the starring role shtick because I do believe it myself. But I can see why it would get a little eye-rolly for some folks on the outside looking in. In reality, these videos and messages should be made for and seen only by the cast. Putting them out there on YouTube not only slightly diminishes what they mean on a personal level (-and it really should be about the relation of employer to CM) but also could instead sort of be misconstrued as a PR stunt to convince us (the public) rather than the CMs themselves.

Oh, what a brilliant point! That's it exactly; that's why it rubs me the wrong way.

If this was an internal campaign only, it would be perfect. It would even kind of be a fun play on the "Disneyland is the star" quote from Walt that even Walt would get a kick out of.

It's the YouTube thing that sends this into Smarmy Town for me.

At least they don't have many views relatively speaking, even though they've been sitting online for almost a decade now. I know English Bulldogs and Huskies who have higher view counts on their YouTube channels. :D

TP2000

I don’t wear tight pants, which means I’m qualified to run a theme park resort, I guess.

Well, there's a very fine line there. If you go too baggy you get lumped into the Droopy Dockers club.

This Mr. Vahle guy pictured above has it just about right on the cut of his pants, although I would not have worn cuffed slacks with a slip-on shoe. I would wear Oxford shoes with a cuffed pant, if you absolutely have to wear cuffs.

But overall he's got it right; age-appropriate cut and style, professionally tailored, fabric is high quality gabardine or a wool blend that drapes well, with a professional leather belt and good shoes.

Things are looking up for Disney theme parks in North America! Now we just need them to actually operate.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Well, there's a very fine line there. If you go too baggy you get lumped into the Droopy Dockers club.

This Mr. Vahle guy pictured above has it just about right on the cut of his pants, although I would not have worn cuffed slacks with a slip-on shoe. I would wear Oxford shoes with a cuffed pant, if you absolutely have to wear cuffs.

But overall he's got it right; age-appropriate cut and style, professionally tailored, fabric is high quality gabardine or a wool blend that drapes well, with a professional leather belt and good shoes.

Things are looking up for Disney theme parks in North America! Now we just need them to actually operate.
In their Wall Street attire, it is hard to picture walking through the theme parks at WDW and the temps are 95-100 degrees.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom