Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If you are not seated next to someone and are outside is there even a need for a mask on a roller coaster?
We don’t know what the parks rules will be yet. At DS they are saying you need to wear the mask at all times unless you are dining. When seated at a table that is spaced 6 feet apart from other tables you can take the mask off. In theory then if you are on a ride and spaced at least 6 feet from anyone else you could be able to take the mask off too. The only thing with a fast moving coaster is I don’t know how far particles can travel because of the speed of the coaster. In other words would someone behind you move through your “cloud of spit”. Kinda gross but maybe that’s what they were testing at Sea World in addition to whether the mask will even stay on. They may not allow masks to be removed on rides because they might not want to encourage a lot of taking the mask on and off. Should be interesting to see how it all turns out.

ImperfectPixie

We don’t know what the parks rules will be yet. At DS they are saying you need to wear the mask at all times unless you are dining. When seated at a table that is spaced 6 feet apart from other tables you can take the mask off. In theory then if you are on a ride and spaced at least 6 feet from anyone else you could be able to take the mask off too. The only thing with a fast moving coaster is I don’t know how far particles can travel because of the speed of the coaster. In other words would someone behind you move through your “cloud of spit”. Kinda gross but maybe that’s what they were testing at Sea World in addition to whether the mask will even stay on. They may not allow masks to be removed on rides because they might not want to encourage a lot of taking the mask on and off. Should be interesting to see how it all turns out.
I think the masks are causing a lot of confusion and that this is why the law in MA regarding masks is very specific - masks are required in public spaces both indoors and outdoors if 6' minimum spacing is not able to be guaranteed. DS is basically an outdoor mall with people walking past each other, etc., so masks at all times unless dining makes sense. On rides, I would expect masks to be worn 100% of the time, so the 6' rule really is just an additional precaution if they choose to follow it. If dining tables are spaced so diners are 6' apart from each other, masks aren't really needed (especially outdoors).

natatomic

...Kinda gross but maybe that’s what they were testing at Sea World in addition to whether the mask will even stay on. They may not allow masks to be removed on rides because they might not want to encourage a lot of taking the mask on and off. Should be interesting to see how it all turns out.

You would think, since they keep saying that masks only work if you don’t touch them over and over again, BUT...

Per DFB:
"One of the biggest questions we’re being asked is if guests are still able to walk around Disney Springs with food and coffee. So, we checked this out at the reopened Joffrey’s. Various Cast Members told us that YES, you can walk around with a beverage or snack! They ask that you remove your mask to take a sip or bite, and replace it between sips or bites."

I know SeaWorld isn’t Disney, but still. I’d imagine this will be allowed everywhere.

Edited to add: kind of backs up the idea of masks being theater. You’re not suddenly non-contagious when you’re taking bite of a Mickey bar.

ImperfectPixie

I'd actually like to add to my previous reply...

Length of exposure makes a difference in infection rates, too. Which is why line spacing has been so important in stores, etc. We're more likely to be exposed to the virus in indoor spaces as well.

Hawg G

I'd actually like to add to my previous reply...

Length of exposure makes a difference in infection rates, too. Which is why line spacing has been so important in stores, etc. We're more likely to be exposed to the virus in indoor spaces as well.

Of course, there is no proof to back up any of your statements.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Edited to add: kind of backs up the idea of masks being theater. You’re not suddenly non-contagious when you’re taking bite of a Mickey bar.
This is true, but what is the alternative. They have no choice but to allow people to drink. That’s a health and safety issue. Having carved out sections where eating and drinking is allowed was suggested but may not be practical everywhere. I am a bit surprised they don’t simply suggest people step off to the side comfortably away from foot traffic to remove the mask to eat or drink. They are probably relying on guests to actually figure that out on their own and most people want to follow the rules, but we’ve already seen people posting here about plans to walk around all day with no mask on holding a drink or food item as the excuse. Leaves the door open for potential bad behavior.

Bill in Atlanta

As far as masks, there might be better buy-in if Dr. Fauci and Surgeon Gen Adams didn’t say publicly in March that masks were essentially useless.

A lot of people heard that, and so now assume the mandatory mask measures are empty feel-good gestures. And I can’t say I really blame them.

ImperfectPixie

As far as masks, there might be better buy-in if Dr. Fauci and Surgeon Gen Adams didn’t say publicly in March that masks were essentially useless.

A lot of people heard that, and so now assume the mandatory mask measures are empty feel-good gestures. And I can’t say I really blame them.
They did. And that's one of my biggest complaints about how this whole thing was handled...the lack of consistency in the messages sent to the public. Yes, they needed to make sure people weren't going to hoard N95 masks, but there's no reason they couldn't have sent the later message right from the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom