Rebecca Campbell Out As President of Disneyland - Heading to DTCI

TP2000

That's pretty much my order as well...I remember all to well the "Where's Ed" comments years back because nobody saw him. Absolutely agree on Nunis (fyi, you can't spell **** even if it's his name :p) and Jack. Any thoughts on Dominguez? I imagine he would be more in the **** and Jack category given he was old school and his family home was literally in Disneyland.

Ron Dominguez (Still socially active around town!) is right up there with Lindquist. Unfortunately for this discussion, Ron is one of those excellent Walt guys who gets lumped into the "Park Operations Committee" heading for most of his career, but that doesn't mean he wasn't highly effective and a fantastic leader. He's one of the ones who made Disneyland what it was.

It's really interesting how they organized the executive leadership back then. They weren't superstars or "Presidents" with big fancy offices and a dedicated photographer Instagramming their every move, they were just a big team trying to put on the best damn Disneyland show they could for Walt's guests.

An insightful Walt quote of that era is "Disneyland is the star, everything else is in the supporting role." The leadership setup in the first two decades directly reflected that, where you had all these talented men and women working hard under a rather anonymous Park Operations Committee. Disneyland was the star, not Nunis or Dominguez.

Today, TDA would never admit that Walt said something like "Disneyland is the star, everything else is in the supporting role". Now TDA pukes up trendy pablum like "Every Role A Starring Role!" in a PC attempt to give everyone a trophy and make the churro salesman and the cubicle drone and the ride operator feel as important as Disneyland itself.

Can you imagine if a Hollywood movie or a Broadway musical tried to pretend that every single actor and actress and stagehand and union caterer had a "starring role" in the show? What a mess! Disneyland should be no different, with apologies to the hard working churro salesmen and ride operators and cubicle drones who still do a good job.

You somehow left out Ron Dominguez. Nunis oversaw both DLR and WDW thru the 1970s, so his position was more the equivalent of todays D'Amaro.

I'm adding your quote here after the fact, as I didn't see this comment until after I wrote the above about Ron Dominguez. A truly great leader and Disneylander!

But technically, Jack Lindquist was the first man to hold the title of Disneyland President when he took that role in 1990.

Last edited:

No Name

Here are my thoughts, for those keeping score at home...

Rebecca Campbell. Wow, eight (8!) whole months in a job before being re-assigned. Talk about meaningful tenure and deep experience! Not surprised she's moving on to another silly executive position. Mars needs women, and Burbank needs women too. But Rebecca was not a good fit for Anaheim or Disney theme parks. She simply couldn't meet the dress code for Disneyland's female CM's, unless Disneyland's female CM's are now supposed to dress like Olivia Newton John in the finale' scene of Grease.

View attachment 471329

oliv.jpg

Josh D'Amaro. Fantastic news! That guy seems like the perfect opposite to Bob Chapek. Mr. D'Amaro seems genuine, and kind, and caring, and honest, and also smart. If he can just peel the Parks division away from Mr. Chapek enough to carve out his own style and his own focus, Disney's theme parks have a bright future ahead of them after we recover from the Covid-19 Recession or Depression, depending on how quickly the American economy is allowed to reopen. Check back in 2022 on that. Is the vaccine ready yet?

Ken Potrock. He used to be Fred Flintstone's foreman down at the quarry, didn't he? Or am I thinking of another rock surname? Mr. Potrock is another unknown and random executive shuffled in to lead the Disneyland Resort for 8 to 15 months, before he moves on to something else. Why do they even need a President in Anaheim? They never last more than a year anymore. What's the point? Honestly, what's the point anymore? How does anyone in Anaheim even take them seriously when they leave before the ink dries on their cheesy plastic nametag they dislike wearing because it makes them look like they aren't a real executive?

Michael Colglazier. Anyone notice how he was left out entirely from all these moves? Josh D'Amaro just leapfrogged over that douch... uh, gentleman named Michael Colglazier. Nice play, Josh! Colglazier was the hot ticket just a few years ago when he steamrolled that tax deal through Anaheim City Hall that only served to destroy decades of local partnership for no real return. I'd bet you a churro that Mr. Colglazier has at least a few more months before he departs to "do something else", as Burbank so bluntly explained Catherine Powell's sudden departure last year.

She’s dressed fine. Which, regardless, has little to do with how qualified or unqualified she is.

TP2000

She’s dressed fine. Which, regardless, has little to do with how qualified or unqualified she is.

Well, she was only there for 8 months, and two of those months the entire property was closed, so there's not much to judge her Disneyland tenure on except for her carefully curated Instagramable Moments and her spray-on slacks.

But I agree with you, she does look great!

flutas

No, no, no. Clothing fit is apparently the only metric we need to judge a DLR president by. And anything tighter than "cargo shorts" is deemed as "spray on clothing."

I'm glad to see Josh as head of Parks, but still think he's going to be stifled a bit by upper management.

TP2000

No, no, no. Clothing fit is apparently the only metric we need to judge a DLR president by. And anything tighter than "cargo shorts" is deemed as "spray on clothing."

I'm glad to see Josh as head of Parks, but still think he's going to be stifled a bit by upper management.

When the President is only the President for eight months, there's not much else to go on except her corporate Instagram account and a few staged media events.

I think it's great she can look that good in spray-on slacks, often paired with knee high go-go boots. And if that meets the corporate dress code now for senior leadership, then spray on Rebecca! Spray on!

The Josh move is politically huge and very positive. I think it's a very, very good sign that Josh just leap-frogged over Michael Colglazier. Colglazier was technically above Josh on the totem pole as the President of the foreign parks in Asia and France. Josh was only the President of the Florida property, on par with Rebecca as President of the California property.

Josh got a big double promotion and is now Michael Colglazier's boss! That's very good news.

Michael Colglazier, President of Asia/Europe Parks February 2018 - May 2020 = 27 Months Tenure In Position
Josh D'Amaro, President of Disneyland February 2018 - September 2019 = 19 Months Tenure In Position
Josh D'Amaro, President of Disney World October 2019 - May 2020 = 8 Months Tenure In Position

Josh becomes Chairman of Disney Parks, Experiences & Products = May, 2020
Colglazier remains President of Asia/Europe Parks = May, 2020

Last edited:

TP2000

I honestly can't wait to see what Ken Potrock wears on his first day on the job in Anaheim. 🤣

I would absolutely LOVE IT if he showed up next Monday morning at TDA looking like this...

280full.jpg

He probably has no idea the amount of scrutiny he will be under for that fashion decision. Choose wisely, Potrock.

Last edited:

Lilofan

When the President is only the President for eight months, there's not much else to go on except her corporate Instagram account and a few staged media events.

I think it's great she can look that good in spray-on slacks, often paired with knee high go-go boots. And if that meets the corporate dress code now for senior leadership, then spray on Rebecca! Spray on!

The Josh move is politically huge and very positive. I think it's a very, very good sign that Josh just leap-frogged over Michael Colglazier. Colglazier was technically above Josh on the totem pole as the President of the foreign parks in Asia and France. Josh was only the President of the Florida property, on par with Rebecca as President of the California property.

Josh got a big double promotion and is now Michael Colglazier's boss! That's very good news.

Michael Colglazier, President of Asia/Europe Parks February 2018 - May 2020 = 27 Months Tenure In Position
Josh D'Amaro, President of Disneyland February 2018 - September 2019 = 19 Months Tenure In Position
Josh D'Amaro, President of Disney World October 2019 - May 2020 = 8 Months Tenure In Position

Josh becomes Chairman of Disney Parks, Experiences & Products = May, 2020
Colglazier remains President of Asia/Europe Parks = May, 2020

Those pants are so tight that the blood circulation in her legs might be an issue.

Darkbeer1

>>The Walt Disney Company, in the midst of probably the most challenging environment in the company’s history, yesterday announced a number of changes in the corporate leadership team – including the Disneyland Resort, comprised of Disneyland and Disney California Adventure, three resort hotels and Downtown Disney, the 20-acre entertainment, retail and shopping district.

Josh D’Amaro was named chairman of Disney Parks, Experience and Products – the division of the entertainment giant that oversees includes six theme parks around the world, the Disney Cruise line, the company’s vacation ownership program, Disney stores and e-commerce, and the world’s top licensing business across toys, apparel, home goods, digital games and apps.

D’Amaro had served as head ot the Walt Disney Resort in Orlando prior to his promotion, and was president of the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim prior to that. D’Amaro succeeds Bob Chapek, who earlier this year assumed the role of Cheif Executive Officer of the Walt Disney Company.

Disneyland Resort President Rebecca Campbell has been promoted to Chairman Of Disney’s Direct-To-Consumer And International. In this role, the 23-year company veteran will oversee the company’s streaming businesses globally, including Disney+—which this month reached 54.5 million paid subscribers less than six months after its launch—as well as ESPN+, Hulu and Hotstar. Her portfolio will also include the Walt Disney Company’s international businesses, including Disney’s International Channels, Fox Networks International and Star India. Campbell headed up Europe, the Middle East and Africa for this division prior to taking the reins at the Disneyland Resort.

Succeeding Campbell as president of the Disneyland Resort is Ken Potrock, a 25-year company veteran. Potrock comes over from the company’s Consumer Products, where he served as president.

“I’m grateful for the opportunity to join the remarkable team at Walt Disney’s original park,” said Mr. Potrock. “This Resort holds a special place in the hearts of our Guests around the world – a responsibility that we all take very seriously, and we will continue to build on that foundation by delivering unforgettable experiences, while creating memories that last a lifetime.”<<

TP2000

>>The Walt Disney Company, in the midst of probably the most challenging environment in the company’s history, yesterday announced a number of changes in the corporate leadership team – including the Disneyland Resort, comprised of Disneyland and Disney California Adventure, three resort hotels and Downtown Disney, the 20-acre entertainment, retail and shopping district.

Josh D’Amaro was named chairman of Disney Parks, Experience and Products – the division of the entertainment giant that oversees includes six theme parks around the world, the Disney Cruise line, the company’s vacation ownership program, Disney stores and e-commerce, and the world’s top licensing business across toys, apparel, home goods, digital games and apps.

D’Amaro had served as head ot the Walt Disney Resort in Orlando prior to his promotion, and was president of the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim prior to that. D’Amaro succeeds Bob Chapek, who earlier this year assumed the role of Cheif Executive Officer of the Walt Disney Company.

Disneyland Resort President Rebecca Campbell has been promoted to Chairman Of Disney’s Direct-To-Consumer And International. In this role, the 23-year company veteran will oversee the company’s streaming businesses globally, including Disney+—which this month reached 54.5 million paid subscribers less than six months after its launch—as well as ESPN+, Hulu and Hotstar. Her portfolio will also include the Walt Disney Company’s international businesses, including Disney’s International Channels, Fox Networks International and Star India. Campbell headed up Europe, the Middle East and Africa for this division prior to taking the reins at the Disneyland Resort.

Succeeding Campbell as president of the Disneyland Resort is Ken Potrock, a 25-year company veteran. Potrock comes over from the company’s Consumer Products, where he served as president.

“I’m grateful for the opportunity to join the remarkable team at Walt Disney’s original park,” said Mr. Potrock. “This Resort holds a special place in the hearts of our Guests around the world – a responsibility that we all take very seriously, and we will continue to build on that foundation by delivering unforgettable experiences, while creating memories that last a lifetime.”<<

Oh geez, Potrock. Talk about phoning it in! 🧐

I realize that all the interns in TDA's Communications department are furloughed along with all their managers, but there has to be someone left in Burbank that could draft a quick introductory statement that doesn't sound so cliche' and so tired and so predictable as this one. It's like they just dragged up all the previous introductory statements written for Ed Grier and Michael Colglazier and Rebecca Campbell and just cut and pasted Potrock's name into it.

“I’m grateful for the opportunity to join the remarkable team at Walt Disney’s original park,” said Mr. Potrock. “This Resort holds a special place in the hearts of our Guests around the world – a responsibility that we all take very seriously, and we will continue to build on that foundation by delivering unforgettable experiences, while creating memories that last a lifetime.”

"Walt Disney's original park"
... :rolleyes: Honestly, who thinks Ken Potrock actually said that? Who actually thinks Ken Potrock has been contemplating the responsibility that he takes so allegedly seriously? Experiences! Memories! Immersive! Instagramable Moments! Ahora!

But it's not a good sign that Mr. Potrock would think this vapid and predictable statement belched out in his name would convince any of his 30,000 furloughed and scared Cast Members, or the core group of diehard Disneyland fans that follow this stuff, that he actually cares. Burbank can't think we are all that unsophisticated and stupid, can they? Can they? It's probably best not to answer that.

What's even more terrifying to think about is that this silly Potrock statement was written by some $115K a year Communications manager in Burbank who hasn't been laid off yet, instead of a cheap 23 year old intern. Yikes.

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

TP2000, when I saw the quote, I thought of you, and you didn't disappoint.

I heard it yesterday afternoon on the video conference, but it was corporate speak, and went in one ear, and out the other.

I had to see it written to jog my memory.

I truly hope that isn't the type of guy I will meet some day in person. I want to see someone with some personality, and willing to get a bit dirty at work.

When Matt got the Cedar Fair job, I got recruited to talk to the staff, distribute photos (They had them at every Security station), and then to hang out in the parks on dates they thought he might visit Knott's as a customer. And he did. Someone got me, I was sitting near the old Courthouse Stage area, and had me go verify it was Matt.

I walked by, and we both smiled at each other. He told me weeks later that he thought I was a plant who gave him away. But I wasn't the first to see him, it was an associate who also was a CM, who told their boss.

Lilofan

Oh geez, Potrock. Talk about phoning it in! 🧐

I realize that all the interns in TDA's Communications department are furloughed along with all their managers, but there has to be someone left in Burbank that could draft a quick introductory statement that doesn't sound so cliche' and so tired and so predictable as this one. It's like they just dragged up all the previous introductory statements written for Ed Grier and Michael Colglazier and Rebecca Campbell and just cut and pasted Potrock's name into it.

“I’m grateful for the opportunity to join the remarkable team at Walt Disney’s original park,” said Mr. Potrock. “This Resort holds a special place in the hearts of our Guests around the world – a responsibility that we all take very seriously, and we will continue to build on that foundation by delivering unforgettable experiences, while creating memories that last a lifetime.”

"Walt Disney's original park"
... :rolleyes: Honestly, who thinks Ken Potrock actually said that? Who actually thinks Ken Potrock has been contemplating the responsibility that he takes so allegedly seriously? Experiences! Memories! Immersive! Instagramable Moments! Ahora!

But it's not a good sign that Mr. Potrock would think this vapid and predictable statement belched out in his name would convince any of his 30,000 furloughed and scared Cast Members, or the core group of diehard Disneyland fans that follow this stuff, that he actually cares. Burbank can't think we are all that unsophisticated and stupid, can they? Can they? It's probably best not to answer that.

What's even more terrifying to think about is that this silly Potrock statement was written by some $115K a year Communications manager in Burbank who hasn't been laid off yet, instead of a cheap 23 year old intern. Yikes.
A $115K a year Communications manager in Orlando would like a king in Central Florida with no state income tax. Not so living around the Burbank area.

Mickeyboof

Can you imagine if a Hollywood movie or a Broadway musical tried to pretend that every single actor and actress and stagehand and union caterer had a "starring role" in the show? What a mess! Disneyland should be no different, with apologies to the hard working churro salesmen and ride operators and cubicle drones who still do a good job.

Most movies or shows do featurettes, not unlike Disneyland’s, interviewing various members of a production and their contributions to the title.

I know you’re really caught up on the title mostly, because surely is was some out-of-touch-cubicle-drone who decided it, but the content of the videos isn’t bad, or wrong- and I’m not ashamed to say I’ve watched almost every single one.

The horticulture one especially interested me!

I’m even watching the Mandelorian’s entire new show called Disney Gallery which basically could be titled every role a starring role.

And I’d almost argue the title isn’t all that sappy. When you’re at Disneyland, the Cast Members you visit with can really make or break your experience.

To the lovey young lady that stood with me for a full hour as I waited for my friends to get through Guardians, she damn sure was starring that day. Or the guy who remembered our conversation, and led us straight onto Luigi’s the next afternoon, he was a star!

I’d rather Disneyland invest in their employees (financially would be best), and feature their work to the four people out there who care, than to pretend they’re all programmed Hosts at a Delos theme park.

People make Disneyland everyday.

DavidDL

Today, TDA would never admit that Walt said something like "Disneyland is the star, everything else is in the supporting role". Now TDA pukes up trendy pablum like "Every Role A Starring Role!" in a PC attempt to give everyone a trophy and make the churro salesman and the cubicle drone and the ride operator feel as important as Disneyland itself.

I love you to death, TP and I'm sorry to maybe get too far off topic but I need to express my disagreement here. While I will agree that there are levels to "stardom" (someone has to be the face, after all), each of these roles are equally important. Disneyland is but a pretty wasteland, an empty husk without the churro salesman or cubicle drone to give it life. Walt himself claiming that Disneyland is the star and everything else is a supporting role has truth to it but also a little bit of outdated thinking about these sorts of things. Times change and nowadays the importance of those working towards the lower end of things and even fans get more credit than they did before because without them, those things effectively mean nothing.

Imagine a Hollywood movie or Broadway musical without any background actors/actresses or stage hand willing to set up the scenes, or even without dedicated fans giving what they earn to support it. That talent would be little more than someone singing on the street for money in a hat. A show without those "less important" people in seats isn't much of a show at all. We're all connected and we're all important in making things that could be viewed as bigger than ourselves a reality and I think a change in mindset that shows a little more appreciation for those folks is absolutely fine, especially when they may not be making much in the way of money or may not getting any sort of recognition at all for their efforts. Let them have it, it isn't hurting any body. Disneyland is still a star as are the those big name Hollywood actors/Broadway performers, even if we're being a little nicer to those "underneath them". I don't think it's a mess at all, people should feel like the work they are doing when they come in matters and if that means giving them a little bit of spotlight every now and again, what is that really costing?

I can't speak to every situation but I'll recount my time working in Hollywood as first a VFX artist on several major films then my transition to a more "production assistant" type of role. The company I worked for decided to leave the states in order to save some money so I made the shift in order to maintain income and remain in the industry. I felt a distinct sense of pride as an artist, I had fulfilled my lifelong dream. But that was taken away from me and pretty soon I found myself running errands for a select few "man-baby" Hollywood-type execs. I was mortified for a time and felt like nothing I did mattered at that point because I wasn't on "the same level" as before. But after pushing through for a while, I came to realize the truth behind every little person and role playing a pivotal part in creating something. The stars may be the stars of the films we worked on but without an exec to hire them or artists to bring their scenes to life, they're just street performers. -and I can attest personally, that those execs and artists are under a lot of stress and would probably have in turn thrown themselves out their fancy LA office window without their lowly assistant catering them their coffee or delivering their files/reports around town. We're more interconnected than people realize or want to give credit for.

These people are as "important" as Disneyland itself. Because without them, Disneyland is little more than a good idea and an elaborate collection of twisted steel and concrete. I think encouraging/reminding them to feel like they are making a difference in Guest's lives is a good change in mindset. Especially when some of them may feel like they don't have much else when held up against those who are "stars". They're already reminded enough that they aren't a president of operations or a big name actor when they see their paycheck each week. Yes, I agree Disneyland in concept is "bigger" than them. It's also worth absolutely nothing without them. Calling the churro salesman or sheet washer a "starring role" is just Disney/Disneyland trying to give a little something back. Something well deserved, in my humble opinion.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom