Rebecca Campbell Out As President of Disneyland - Heading to DTCI

TP2000

Overall this looks like a much more fitting role for her given her media/entertainment background.

Josh D'Amaro is packing up his bags and quickly heading back to Burbank as Chairman of Disney Parks.

---

Jeff Vahle (formerly President, Disney Signature Experiences) will assume the role of President, Walt Disney World Resort.

Ken Potrock Named President, Disneyland Resort.

Kareem Daniel Named President, Consumer Products, Games and Publishing.

Thomas Mazloum Named President, Disney Signature Experiences.

Here are my thoughts, for those keeping score at home...

Rebecca Campbell. Wow, eight (8!) whole months in a job before being re-assigned. Talk about meaningful tenure and deep experience! Not surprised she's moving on to another silly executive position. Mars needs women, and Burbank needs women too. But Rebecca was not a good fit for Anaheim or Disney theme parks. She simply couldn't meet the dress code for Disneyland's female CM's, unless Disneyland's female CM's are now supposed to dress like Olivia Newton John in the finale' scene of Grease.

79543577_619911948757904_7450625822490025045_n.jpg

oliv.jpg

Josh D'Amaro. Fantastic news! That guy seems like the perfect opposite to Bob Chapek. Mr. D'Amaro seems genuine, and kind, and caring, and honest, and also smart. If he can just peel the Parks division away from Mr. Chapek enough to carve out his own style and his own focus, Disney's theme parks have a bright future ahead of them after we recover from the Covid-19 Recession or Depression, depending on how quickly the American economy is allowed to reopen. Check back in 2022 on that. Is the vaccine ready yet?

Ken Potrock. He used to be Fred Flintstone's foreman down at the quarry, didn't he? Or am I thinking of another rock surname? Mr. Potrock is another unknown and random executive shuffled in to lead the Disneyland Resort for 8 to 15 months, before he moves on to something else. Why do they even need a President in Anaheim? They never last more than a year anymore. What's the point? Honestly, what's the point anymore? How does anyone in Anaheim even take them seriously when they leave before the ink dries on their cheesy plastic nametag they dislike wearing because it makes them look like they aren't a real executive?

Michael Colglazier. Anyone notice how he was left out entirely from all these moves? Josh D'Amaro just leapfrogged over that douch... uh, gentleman named Michael Colglazier. Nice play, Josh! Colglazier was the hot ticket just a few years ago when he steamrolled that tax deal through Anaheim City Hall that only served to destroy decades of local partnership for no real return. I'd bet you a churro that Mr. Colglazier has at least a few more months before he departs to "do something else", as Burbank so bluntly explained Catherine Powell's sudden departure last year.

Last edited by a moderator:

TP2000

Gang, I'm serious, it's not listed as part of his resume but I really do think Ken Potrock used to be Fred Flintstone's foreman down at the quarry. He just looks so familiar to me, even without his turtle shell hard hat.

16x9OCR-L-DISNEYLAND-PRESIDENT-0519-01-1.jpg

From the OC Register article...

Potrock comes to Disneyland from Disney’s consumer products division where he led the company’s global merchandising division since 2018. Potrock has previously served as senior vice president of the Disney Vacation Club timeshare and Adventures by Disney travel-planning businesses.

In 2015, Potrock led the expansion and renovation of Disney Springs outdoor shopping mall at the Disney World resort in Florida. Potrock began his Disney career in 1996 as vice president of marketing for the Disney Cruise Line. He lives in California with his wife and two sons.

According to Google he lives in Studio City, which is an absolutely hellish commute to Anaheim and back each day. (In a hillside home with potential, but apparently no gardening service or anyone who has a leaf blower, and a family penchant for entry-level Porsche SUV's)

Honestly, Studio City to Anaheim five days a week is hell. Good thing the amusement parks and hotels he oversees for the next 8 to 15 months are going to remain closed for half of his tenure. Zoom meeting with Potrock! Just pour the Cabernet into the coffee mug and no one will know.

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

I recently read Jack Lindquist's memoir In Service to the Mouse, a wonderfully candid look back at his decades long career at Disneyland until his retirement in the mid '90s. His reputation in the industry is second to none and many of his ideas have left a lasting impact on the industry as a whole- from Grad Nites to Disney Dollars. Before Disneyland marketing relied on cheap decade themed upcharge nights, or AHORA! videos filmed on an intern's iPhone since the latest land flopped.

He had a wonderfully genuine 'cast first' approach to leading the resort and had a delightful personality to accompany his excellent leadership. Here's his speech he gave at Marty Sklar's window dedication ceremony-

Disney execs don't give speeches like this anymore- even after they're retired.

Man I wish Disneyland presidents were like this guy again with a decades long career working various rolls throughout the park and a genuine love for Walt Disney's Disneyland.

TP2000

I recently read Jack Lindquist's memoir In Service to the Mouse, a wonderfully candid look back at his decades long career at Disneyland until his retirement in the mid '90s. His reputation in the industry is second to none and many of his ideas have left a lasting impact on the industry as a whole- from Grad Nites to Disney Dollars. Before Disneyland marketing relied on cheap decade themed upcharge nights, or AHORA! videos filmed on an intern's iPhone since the latest land flopped.

He had a wonderfully genuine 'cast first' approach to leading the resort and had a delightful personality to accompany his excellent leadership. Here's his speech he gave at Marty Sklar's window dedication ceremony-

Man I wish Disneyland presidents were like this guy again with a decades long career working various rolls throughout the park and a genuine love for Walt Disney's Disneyland.

And to think that Disneyland went from leaders like that, to Rebecca Campbell who stuck around for a grand total of 8 months. And then Ken Potrock for another 8 to 15 months, if he's lucky. And then who replaces him in late 2021?

Jack Lindquist had more leadership and Disneyland skills in his left pinky than the last few Disneyland President's combined.

Darkbeer1

I remember that morning, one of a few windows I got invited to. They have always been class events!

TP2000

A reminder of how the Disneyland leadership evolved over the decades:

1950's-1960's: a few various forms of a "Park Operations Committee" who answered only to Walt
1972-1990: Richard Nunis as Executive Vice President, supported by a Park Operations Committee
1990-1994: Jack Lindquist becomes Disneyland's first President, after working at the park since 1955
1994-1999: Paul Pressler
1999-2003: Cynthia Harriss
2003-2006: Matt Ouimet
2006-2009: Ed Grier
2009-2013: George Kalogridis
2013-2018: Michael Colglazier
March, 2018- September, 2019: Josh D'Amaro (17 Months)
September, 2019- May, 2020: Rebecca Campbell (8 Months)
2020-????: Ken Potrock (12 Hours So Far. Go Ken! Take It All The Way To 6 Months!)

Last edited:

Lilofan

Gang, I'm serious, it's not listed as part of his resume but I really do think Ken Potrock used to be Fred Flintstone's foreman down at the quarry. He just looks so familiar to me, even without his turtle shell hard hat.

16x9OCR-L-DISNEYLAND-PRESIDENT-0519-01-1.jpg

From the OC Register article...

Potrock comes to Disneyland from Disney’s consumer products division where he led the company’s global merchandising division since 2018. Potrock has previously served as senior vice president of the Disney Vacation Club timeshare and Adventures by Disney travel-planning businesses.

In 2015, Potrock led the expansion and renovation of Disney Springs outdoor shopping mall at the Disney World resort in Florida. Potrock began his Disney career in 1996 as vice president of marketing for the Disney Cruise Line. He lives in California with his wife and two sons.

According to Google he lives in Studio City, which is an absolutely hellish commute to Anaheim and back each day. (In a hillside home with potential, but apparently no gardening service or anyone who has a leaf blower, and a family penchant for entry-level Porsche SUV's)

Honestly, Studio City to Anaheim five days a week is hell. Good thing the amusement parks and hotels he oversees for the next 8 to 15 months are going to remain closed for half of his tenure. Zoom meeting with Potrock! Just pour the Cabernet into the coffee mug and no one will know.
An exec like him probably does not need to drive. Gotta like a perk like car service.

Lilofan

1950's-1960's: a few various forms of a "Park Operations Committee" who answered only to Walt
1972-1990: Richard Nunis as Executive Vice President, supported by a Park Operations Committee
1990-1994: Jack Lindquist becomes Disneyland's first President, after working at the park since 1955
2020-????: Ken Potrock (12 Hours So Far. Go Ken! Take It All The Way To 6 Months!)
Pre requisite for becoming DLR President - get your experience at WDW- Grier, Kalogridis, Colglazier, D'Amaro, Potrock

Mouse Trap

Original Poster

Everyone seems to love Josh -- he's a charismatic guy, knows how to position himself for his audience on social media and actually spent a considerable amount of time in the parks speaking with CM's and guests.

BUT what policies, improvements, etc has he put in place that have improved the parks other than being a nice guy? His time was relatively short at Disneyland, certainly not long enough to make an impact at WDW and I don't know much about his tenure at Animal Kingdom.

Anyone have insight on this?

Magic Feather

So I'm going to start the rumor now.

Josh D being groomed to take over for Chapek at CEO in a couple years?
I think it all depends on how Disney’s revenue streams pan out. If DTCI + Studios start to close the gap more and more then I think we see another media/tech/entertainment guy or gal. If not, this could be Josh’s job to lose.
I’d say that Campbell would be way more likely to get CEO if need be. In fact, I’d view D’Amaro getting CEO over her to be an actual snub, unlike that TikTok Guy.
And to think that Disneyland went from leaders like that, to Rebecca Campbell who stuck around for a grand total of 8 months. And then Ken Potrock for another 8 to 15 months, if he's lucky. And then who replaces him in late 2021?

Jack Lindquist had more leadership and Disneyland skills in his left pinky than the last few Disneyland President's combined.
Campbell is more the exception than the rule for DLR leadership. This appears to be Potrock being put on the “Colglaizer-Kalogridis-D’Amaro DPEP Higher Leadership Track” that the company has been eyeing for him for a while. I originally thought his promo to consumer products was meant to serve as that, but I guess nothing can truly substitute for doing your time at DLR.

Stevek

Here are my thoughts, for those keeping score at home...

Rebecca Campbell. Wow, eight (8!) whole months in a job before being re-assigned. Talk about meaningful tenure and deep experience! Not surprised she's moving on to another silly executive position. Mars needs women, and Burbank needs women too. But Rebecca was not a good fit for Anaheim or Disney theme parks. She simply couldn't meet the dress code for Disneyland's female CM's, unless Disneyland's female CM's are now supposed to dress like Olivia Newton John in the finale' scene of Grease.

View attachment 471329

oliv.jpg

Josh D'Amaro. Fantastic news! That guy seems like the perfect opposite to Bob Chapek. Mr. D'Amaro seems genuine, and kind, and caring, and honest, and also smart. If he can just peel the Parks division away from Mr. Chapek enough to carve out his own style and his own focus, Disney's theme parks have a bright future ahead of them after we recover from the Covid-19 Recession or Depression, depending on how quickly the American economy is allowed to reopen. Check back in 2022 on that. Is the vaccine ready yet?

Ken Potrock. He used to be Fred Flintstone's foreman down at the quarry, didn't he? Or am I thinking of another rock surname? Mr. Potrock is another unknown and random executive shuffled in to lead the Disneyland Resort for 8 to 15 months, before he moves on to something else. Why do they even need a President in Anaheim? They never last more than a year anymore. What's the point? Honestly, what's the point anymore? How does anyone in Anaheim even take them seriously when they leave before the ink dries on their cheesy plastic nametag they dislike wearing because it makes them look like they aren't a real executive?

Michael Colglazier. Anyone notice how he was left out entirely from all these moves? Josh D'Amaro just leapfrogged over that douch... uh, gentleman named Michael Colglazier. Nice play, Josh! Colglazier was the hot ticket just a few years ago when he steamrolled that tax deal through Anaheim City Hall that only served to destroy decades of local partnership for no real return. I'd bet you a churro that Mr. Colglazier has at least a few more months before he departs to "do something else", as Burbank so bluntly explained Catherine Powell's sudden departure last year.

Her downfall was clearly getting that Ducks jersey.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stevek

Who was your favorite out of this group? Matt has seemed to be a fan favorite given his guidance during the 50th and coming off as a nice guy that genuinely cared about the history and future of the parks. His 2 immediate predeccessors and his replacement didn't really fare as well.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I’d say that Campbell would be way more likely to get CEO if need be. In fact, I’d view D’Amaro getting CEO over her to be an actual snub, unlike that TikTok Guy.

Campbell is more the exception than the rule for DLR leadership. This appears to be Potrock being put on the “Colglaizer-Kalogridis-D’Amaro DPEP Higher Leadership Track” that the company has been eyeing for him for a while. I originally thought his promo to consumer products was meant to serve as that, but I guess nothing can truly substitute for doing your time at DLR.
Not sure why you believe Campbell would get the bump to CEO over D'Amaro. D'Amaro now leads the largest revenue generating division in the company. And given that its going to be a tough track ahead to get that revenue train rolling again he'll be battle tested come time to be tapped for CEO.

From what I can tell the BOD wants someone with more operational experience and less entertainment experience for CEO. And with only 3 years under her belt on the operational side of things I just don't see Campbell being tapped as CEO, despite her taking a similar career track to Iger.

But hey maybe you're right, just don't see why at this point.

el_super

BUT what policies, improvements, etc has he put in place that have improved the parks other than being a nice guy? His time was relatively short at Disneyland, certainly not long enough to make an impact at WDW and I don't know much about his tenure at Animal Kingdom.

Anyone have insight on this?

Honestly, I can't think of a thing. Not anything the guests would have noticed. He oversaw the opening of Pixar Pier and Star Wars Galaxy's Edge, and endeared himself to the vloggers and influencers of the world.

He was around for some of those entertainment cuts and questionable food quality changes, but Josh was such a nice guy people just blamed Chapek instead.

People with absolutely no frame of reference, tend to misunderstand what the President of DLR is. As in, what their role is suppose to be and what policies and practices they deploy to make their mark. I guess maybe the only analogue people have to reference is the President of the US, but its obviously not like that at all. The president of DLR doesnt come in to make a "mark" or make wide policy changes.

During Josh's time at DLR, there was a big push to upgrade the CM experience. There were roll outs of the Disney Aspire program, that granted CMs a free pass to college, a massive breakroom renovation program valued over $100M, CM wage increases and the daycare program to offer CMs free childcare. They were all great programs and well received, and Josh got to be the face of them. But they were all born as a result of some really bad Global HR cast surveys that started to indicate that Disney (as a whole) was lagging behind in employee satisfaction. Hundreds of people throughout HR and Corporate worked on creating these programs and strategies, so is it really fair to say Josh was responsible for them? They all happened while Chapek was overseeing the broader parks division too, but rather than give Chapek credit, they wanted to blame him for stale churros.

Long story short: it takes a village, and decisions that happen at the parks tend to be the result of the efforts of a LOT of people. Increasingly the role of the resort President is more akin to the ambassadors of olden days: good PR.

brb1006

I love how he was able to share some genuinely sweet and amusing stories during his speech. It actually earned some sincere laughs from guests attending the ceremony.

TP2000

Who was your favorite out of this group? Matt has seemed to be a fan favorite given his guidance during the 50th and coming off as a nice guy that genuinely cared about the history and future of the parks. His 2 immediate predeccessors and his replacement didn't really fare as well.

Great question! I pondered this for a few hours this morning...

I will set aside Nunis and Lindquist, as they are simply too impressive and too important to lump in with the rest of the temporary faces from 1994 to 2020.

But as for the rest of 'em, this is my ranking with a Deep Thought on each, from worst to best:

Paul Pressler: :mad: The clueless mold that all empty suits were based on. Very bad decision maker. But good hair.
Cynthia Harriss: :mad: Schmoozed the fans and CM's well, yet killed too many paying customers. (Death Toll: 3)
Ed Grier: :confused: Who? The most unseen and least impactful. At least his reign was fatality-free?
Rebecca Campbell: 🤣 For 57 she looks great in spray-on slacks, but 8 months is a joke. An Instagramable joke!
Michael Colglazier: :rolleyes: Didn't seem that bad at the time, but his legacy keeps getting worse with age. Also a DB.
George Kalogridis: :) A 21st century Company Man who left a great legacy with DCA 2.0 and rebuilt foundations.
Josh D'Amaro: :D The savvy breath of fresh air & kindness needed after 5 years of a snobby DB. Awesome exec!
Matt Ouimet: 😇 When he gets to heaven Walt is buying him a Scotch at the bar. He saved Disneyland! Nice guy too!

Last edited:

Stevek

Great question! I pondered this for a few hours this morning...

I will set aside Nunis and Lindquist, as they are simply too impressive and too important to lump in with the rest of the temporary faces from 1994 to 2020.

But as for the rest of 'em, this is my ranking with a Deep Thought on each, from worst to best:

Paul Pressler: :mad:The clueless mold that all empty suits were based on for decades. Very bad decision maker.
Cynthia Harriss: :mad:Schmoozed the fans and CM's well, but killed too many paying customers. (Death Toll: 3)
Ed Grier: :confused: Who? The most unseen and least impactful. At least his reign was fatality-free?
Rebecca Campbell: 🤣 For 57 she looks great in spray-on slacks, but 8 months is a joke. An Instagramabble joke!
Michael Colglazier: :rolleyes: Didn't seem that bad at the time, but his legacy gets worse and worse with age. Also a DB.
George Kalogridis: :) A 21st century Company Man, but he left a great legacy with DCA 2.0 and rebuilt foundations.
Josh D'Amaro: :DThe savvy breath of fresh air & kindness needed after 5 years of a snobby DB. Awesome!
Matt Ouimet: 😇 When he gets to heaven Walt is buying him a Scotch at the bar. He saved Disneyland! Nice guy too!

That's pretty much my order as well...I remember all to well the "Where's Ed" comments years back because nobody saw him. Absolutely agree on Nunis (fyi, you can't spell Dick even if it's his name :p) and Jack. Any thoughts on Dominguez? I imagine he would be more in the Dick and Jack category given he was old school and his family home was literally in Disneyland.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom