Voyage of the Little Mermaid is done, won't reopen with the parks.

Kate F

If it weren’t for Disney’s habit of closing attractions and not replacing them with anything, I’d say this is a good thing that needed to happen eventually. I don’t think shows like this should have that kind of longevity personally.

TrainsOfDisney

If it weren’t for Disney’s habit of closing attractions and not replacing them with anything, I’d say this is a good thing that needed to happen eventually. I don’t think shows like this should have that kind of longevity personally.

Oh yeah if this was being replaced with a new show of equal or better quality I would be happy. But we all know it’s being replaced with nothing for the time being. Maybe they can reopen it as a special effects water and light show. Put a strobe light on Ursula so nobody will notice the lack of puppeteer!

lazyboy97o

The Sindbad show at IoA closed September 2018 and any replacement for it is still years away at this point.

I could see something similar happening to Mermaid or other WDW shows.
Not as bad as the giant theater over in Toon Lagoon that has probably been empty for most of its existence. In the case of Eight Voyage of Sinbad it’s closure was at least in preparation for something, Hyrule, that at the last minute was superseded by something bigger, Universal’s Epic Universe of Epicness.

Animaniac93-98

Not as bad as the giant theater over in Toon Lagoon that has probably been empty for most of its existence. In the case of Eight Voyage of Sinbad it’s closure was at least in preparation for something, Hyrule, that at the last minute was superseded by something bigger, Universal’s Epic Universe of Epicness.

Personally, I would have chosen Universal's Epic Escape! ;)

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I think if they want to keep shows like this running for decades, they should give them substantial updates once in awhile. But I guess that’s just too much work.
A good quality show doesn't need to be upgraded. Disneyland's Aladdin, and our Nemo & Lion King shows are fantastic examples of that. The show just has to be done right. If you end up relying TOO MUCH on the latest technology (which was definitely this show, and WAS impressive for ITS TIME), then it WILL become dated.

Just look at the longest running Broadway shows like The Lion King, Chicago, Wicked, Avenue Q... If Disney can't afford to crank out a new high-quality production every few years in its theatre locations, then they need to do a musical that is much more traditional and less reliable on tech.

I'm gonna be real, even Beauty and the Beast at HS accomplishes this better than Mermaid does (as much as I hate to admit it). On top of that, Little Mermaid has always kinda flunked and failed cheesily as far as stage productions go. Heck, look at it's Broadway show. As impressive as that Ursula was in the Tokyo version, I still don't think it was fantastically translated well onstage other than the puppetry.

Lion King does it right by going a cirque-du-soleil/music party style, which will never become outdated. Nemo focused heavily on impressing the audience with puppetry, as well as almost a completely original broadway-style soundtrack, and impress lighting hitting the stage JUST right. On top of that, they didn't go overboard on the video projection, so the few seconds of dated animation doesn't distract from the overall show, as they hardly last that long.

Meanwhile Mermaid's best feature was the use of blacklight puppets, which was sadly only able to be used for one big number, and ursula. The show was also rushed, and it relied heavily on an extremely dated film projector. The laser effects, also an incredibly cool portion of the show in my opinion, were honestly also feeling a bit "90s/early 2000s" tech. Nowadays, those laser ideas could be projected EXTREMELY crisp. Heck even the intro for the show where the guy told people to put away their tech was cringy old. The microphone Ariel used was big and bulky.

The attraction was just doomed to become dated. Luckily, they used SO MUCH technology from that time period that it honestly felt quite nostalgic.

The Grand Inquisitor

These pretty much sums up my thoughts on the show and what it should be replaced by. I would normally elaborate further, but I couldn’t put it better than you two without sounding redundant or meandering.

As for the discussion on the dark ride that seems to have taken over this thread, I understand the criticism towards Disney overspending on the attraction, especially if the refurb costs being thrown around here are correct. I also understand some of the criticism towards the ride itself and why the changes it recieved needed to be made. However, I don’t get why a number of members here are painting it out to be this legendarily terrible thing. Seriously, the ride in it’s current state is passable at it’s absolute worst and there are so many other aspects of the parks that are far more worthy of such harsh critiques.
I agree. Personally I would either want to see the building demolished or gutted for another land. Maybe if Animation Courtyard becomes Monsters Inc themed they can turn the building into the restaurant from the movie.

JeffH

This is the most ignorant thing Disney could/should do. For exactly the reason that it ISN'T packed anymore allows for social distancing inside the theater and less show to allow for a slower (spaced) loading. And the LAST thing Disney needs is to cut back on attractions lowering park capacity and forcing guests to overload other attractions.

JoeCamel

This is the most ignorant thing Disney could/should do. For exactly the reason that it ISN'T packed anymore allows for social distancing inside the theater and less show to allow for a slower (spaced) loading. And the LAST thing Disney needs is to cut back on attractions lowering park capacity and forcing guests to overload other attractions.
Entertainment is one of the larger expenses they have. Cut it and no more expense for that offering. It is the Disney way after all.

JoeCamel

This is the way.
way.jpg

BigDlover

I love that show!! I know it was dated and I can kind of understand why it would be replaced though. It's always packed whenever I go though so people seem to want to see it.

BigDlover

DHS still has a lack of things to do for people with small children or guests not into thrill rides.

Mermaid fit that bill, but so would another musical show.
True, I just selfishly hate to see it go! Hopefully they'll put something cool there with some really awesome tech. I would love to see a Princess and the Frog musical or Tangled musical (could even be the one from the cruise line). It would be fun to have a gag where her hair circles the entire theater lol.

IMO, they should do something different with BATB Live. It's also dated and could use a refresh. And For the First Time in Forever - I get wanting to play off the Frozen hype and kids probably enjoy it but I found the live actors corny and other than them, it's just clips from the movie.

Animaniac93-98

True, I just selfishly hate to see it go! Hopefully they'll put something cool there with some really awesome tech. I would love to see a Princess and the Frog musical or Tangled musical (could even be the one from the cruise line). It would be fun to have a gag where her hair circles the entire theater lol.

Princess and the Frog is ideally suited for an indoor theater with black light effects, particularly for "Friends on the Other Side".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom