Rumor: Jungle Book Boat Ride at Animal Kingdom

doctornick

The original has demonstrated far more staying power in the public mind than the recent remake (much less the now forgotten 1990s live action version), so it would be the obvious choice.

Based on what? I'm just not sure I understand what you mean by "staying power". Obviously the original movie has a much longer history but it is not a movie that has a significant cultural presence (well, at least outside of Germany) like other Disney cartoons. The remake made almost $1 billion worldwide and had great critical reception - I'd argue the plot and execution were superior to the original, unlike most of the newer Disney remakes - but I'm not sure how much "staying power" either version really has. Also, the remake was done by Favreau who seems to be really in Disney's good side these days so that might tip the scales to using that version to continue his involvement with the company.

Furthermore, I would think that the "live action" imagery fits in far better with the natural world execution of DAK generally and Asia (Anandapur) specifically. I think a cartoon based ride would seem out of place.

Anyway, Jungle Book seems like such a perfect fit for DAK among all of Disney's films that it is surprising that this wasn't already done or in the works.

The Grand Inquisitor

Original Poster
Based on what? I'm just not sure I understand what you mean by "staying power". Obviously the original movie has a much longer history but it is not a movie that has a significant cultural presence (well, at least outside of Germany) like other Disney cartoons. The remake made almost $1 billion worldwide and had great critical reception - I'd argue the plot and execution were superior to the original, unlike most of the newer Disney remakes - but I'm not sure how much "staying power" either version really has. Also, the remake was done by Favreau who seems to be really in Disney's good side these days so that might tip the scales to using that version to continue his involvement with the company.

Furthermore, I would think that the "live action" imagery fits in far better with the natural world execution of DAK generally and Asia (Anandapur) specifically. I think a cartoon based ride would seem out of place.

Anyway, Jungle Book seems like such a perfect fit for DAK among all of Disney's films that it is surprising that this wasn't already done or in the works.
Personally I love the original but the 2016 movie would make a better more "realistic" boat ride IMO.

Heppenheimer

PS- I don't live in Germany, although I have in the past.

The Grand Inquisitor

Original Poster
When he put his hands up in a swiping motion...I got Yedi vibes...not sure if that is a good or bad thing.

I wouldn’t mind this happening...but they really need to fix up EPCOT.
Yeah it absolutely reminded me of the yeti 😂. I agree EPCOT does need to be fixed up. Disney can still build this ride as well.

Brad Bishop

Kali is too short. I think one of the shortest of that type of ride. Also you barely get wet. I want a longer ride.

I noticed Disney water rides do not drench guests unlike other parks where they don't care if you get drenched. Just a bit wet is boring.

I have no idea if that original layout of of Kali is true or not but if it is true, that would have been fantastic. Right now we have a rapids ride with not a lot to it. Unfortunately, when they cut things like this it's short-sighted. A longer Kali ride would have left you with, "Oh, wait.. There's more???" (like Splash or any number of other Disney rides).

Thunder River at Six Flags used to be a pretty fantastic ride and you were guaranteed to get wet (they even had a waterfall to ensure it).. They've changed it over the years and it isn't nearly as good as it once was. One thing that is cool about it is that it's possible for you to pass people on it instead of it being a "chute"-type path, which most rapid rides are today. I always thought that was a neat element - in the larger pools you could end up in any number of different places depending on who you bounced off of (come to think of it - it's rare when you bounce of people in modern rapid rides).

My vote for the best rapid ride today is Bluto's Bilge Rat Barge (or whatever it's called at Universal).. You're getting wet on it. There's no way you're not getting wet on it.

While the rest of the rumors were interesting, I really didn't see much happening after the 50th for the next 20 years and, now with COVID-19, I see more cost cutting happening.

Unrelated: At this point, I'd like to see them just keep Epcot closed and do it right. What I suspect will happen there is that they pour enough concrete to get it done and open it back up to start making money from it again and, again, it'll be a lost opportunity (like the other times they've talked about updating Epcot or Tomorrowland and half-did it at best).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom