Iger and Chapek Livid With Lucasfilm

SpoiledBlueMilk

Never assume that everything which is out is all that will be out.
Also - you don't generally want to hire someone who was with Weinstein and Co and has a large social footprint that can attract attention like a fly on manure when you're in litigation with a Weinstein victim.

Dragonman

I like how a group that is typically against strong female protagonists (even though in most cases, there are still as many, if not more strong male protagonists) are now champions of #MeToo.

I'm sure those making noise about Headland had always been at the forefront of publicly excoriating Weinstein.

The fandom menace isn’t against strong female leads. They’re against poorly written/shoehorned in and agenda driven characters.

UNCgolf

The fandom menace isn’t against strong female leads. They’re against poorly written/shoehorned in and agenda driven characters.

"Agenda driven" is where you lose anyone who's actually thinking critically. Saying something is agenda driven is meaningless unless they specifically came out and said "we put this character in for this specific agenda!" which no one has done. It's basically just you projecting something onto the writing because you didn't like it. And I don't even like the sequel trilogy! But it has nothing to do with an "agenda" by Lucasfilm or the writers.

Jaccsen

Leslye Headland made one of the most critically acclaimed shows of 2019. No idea how many people watched it (Netflix doesn't release that info), but Russian Doll got way more buzz than most Netflix shows and was nominated for 13 Emmys. Since there's no proof she knew anything about Weinstein's actions, it's kinda weird to act like this is some terrible PR move for Disney. The only people complaining about Headland's hiring are the same weirdos who've complained for years about Kennedy and the new Star Wars having too many women involved in it. For people who know TV this is kind of a coup for Disney--grabbing one of TV's most promising and acclaimed young talents to make a Star War for 'em.

Well, when asked, she cannot tell you her favorite Star Wars movie or answer basic questions about the franchise. Kennedy had said that she wanted female directors who were fans of the property. She has a track record of hiring people because they are the current golden goose but there are plenty of talented female directors. I would love to see Roxanne Dawson helm a SW series as one example.

Jaccsen

"Agenda driven" is where you lose anyone who's actually thinking critically. Saying something is agenda driven is meaningless unless they specifically came out and said "we put this character in for this specific agenda!" which no one has done. It's basically just you projecting something onto the writing because you didn't like it. And I don't even like the sequel trilogy! But it has nothing to do with an "agenda" by Lucasfilm or the writers.

I disagree. There was a clear agenda to trash the older films in order to promote the new hotness. The old cast ended up as pathetic failures. Disney definitely wanted to stamp a new label on Star Wars and make fresh for the new generation. It is clear from the writing that they felt the need to pander in order to attract the 18-35 crowd and increase the percentage of female fans. This seemed to please the twitterati but otherwise failed to expand the fan base as seen in the decreasing box office. In fact, it shows that the stories they decided to tell actively shrunk the base.

They needed films that appealed to the average 7-12 year old and their parents. Those are the groups, along with older fans, that would have spent money and making a 7-12 year old fan is a new lifetime fan. The 18-35 group may make noise on twiiter but they will move to the next thing and forget about Star Wars.

There was a clear agenda. It was not gender, race, orientation based except in that those are things that they believe are important to the base that they hoped would become new, permanent fans. It was a failure but they were going for a demographic shift.

Kennedy seems to still want to pursue those failed policies. She is just not making smart decisions about the franchise and I think that she does not really understand the property.

Tom P.

Agree...I appreciate him but never saw that potential in him.

Need a rock Star to save Star Wars (and it does need saving...but maybe strategically not right now)...Feige had been that Star for marvel.

Somebody is out there for Star Wars too. If sure as heck isn’t JJ abrams...which unfortunately I was right on from the start...

Hollywood is full of comeback stories. A certain Disney ceo led one of the if not the biggest one ever...

There’s always a way. Need a story guy though...Ron Moore type. Somebody who plows the story first and then works backwards...doesn’t set benchmarks for outside goals and then try to make the puzzle pieces fit.
I would like to see Ron Moore get a shot at Star Wars. But, then again, I'd prefer to see Ron Moore given the keys to the Trek universe.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I would like to see Ron Moore get a shot at Star Wars. But, then again, I'd prefer to see Ron Moore given the keys to the Trek universe.
I think what he did with bsg suits Star Wars.

I think the key difference between the OT and what followed was - other than Ewoks - I never felt like the OT Was treating anyone in the audience like they were stupid.

The gags in the prequels...and the stupid schtick in the Disney movies treat people like they’re fools. You can have a fantasy movie with humor and not treat people like they should be embarrassed to be watching.

I think a guy like Moore could set a better tone and then ease back if it’s needed.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

UNCgolf

I don't remember that. I remember TFA being insanely popular and Rey being insanely popular. It wasn't until after TLJ that I noticed a major change.

There were a lot of complaints about Rey being a terrible Mary Sue after Force Awakens. They definitely intensified after Last Jedi, but they were relatively widespread even after Force Awakens (you can still find mainstream media articles post-Force Awakens but pre-Last Jedi debunking the claim).

Last edited:

SpoiledBlueMilk

There were a lot of complaints about Rey being a terrible Mary Sue after Force Awakens.
True. What always got me about those complaints is that they ignored the same aspects about Luke. I mean, the kid flew T-16's on Tatooine and had no formal training, but he's given the keys to a shiny new X-Wing and on his first actual space flight (which was also his first military engagement) just happens to be helped by the Force so well he single handedly blows up the Empire's most potent weapon and heavily guarded secret with one shot while more experienced pilots die all around him. Then he spends, what, a week? With Yoda and is able to handle himself against Vader in Bespin after never really even sparring with someone with the weapon or getting training in any of the forms of lightsaber combat.

Just saying.....Rey might be a Mary Sue, but lord knows, she isn't the first.

ImperfectPixie

True. What always got me about those complaints is that they ignored the same aspects about Luke. I mean, the kid flew T-16's on Tatooine and had no formal training, but he's given the keys to a shiny new X-Wing and on his first actual space flight (which was also his first military engagement) just happens to be helped by the Force so well he single handedly blows up the Empire's most potent weapon and heavily guarded secret with one shot while more experienced pilots die all around him. Then he spends, what, a week? With Yoda and is able to handle himself against Vader in Bespin after never really even sparring with someone with the weapon or getting training in any of the forms of lightsaber combat.

Not to mention that in A New Hope, Luke was kind of an annoying little whiny boy.

ETA: Don't shoot me! I love the OT!

Imagineer45

Oh, but boy, did they go on and on about Rey.

After TFA, Rey was pretty well received. The only character the consensus thought to be underwhelming was Phasma. People only started turning on Rey in TLJ, partially/primarily because she had no genetic connection to anyone, and subsequently in ROS when revisionist history made everything a mess.

Actually, the entire film was pretty well received. Yes, there were a couple of disgruntled fans, but they were in such a minority. TFA has gained a much worse reputation since the release of TLJ and ROS because of how fans perceive the entire trilogy.

asianway

After TFA, Rey was pretty well received. The only character the consensus thought to be underwhelming was Phasma. People only started turning on Rey in TLJ, partially/primarily because she had no genetic connection to anyone, and subsequently in ROS when revisionist history made everything a mess.

Actually, the entire film was pretty well received. Yes, there were a couple of disgruntled fans, but they were in such a minority. TFA has gained a much worse reputation since the release of TLJ and ROS because of how fans perceive the entire trilogy.
TLJ has two visually stunning scenes, the rest was steaming crap

flynnibus

Premium Member

three words "the chosen one"

verse...

"nobody"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom