Trip Report Rise of the Popcorn Bucket

Hello everyone & a warm welcome to you!! As always, lots of fun was had on this trip with the star of the show(besides J, of course;)) being none other than E's nemesis, the popcorn bucket!! I'm super excited to share our adventures with you!!

WHO: I think you know us but.....myself-Patti, R(I think I've converted him to a full blown Disney fan even though he claims he likes coming for the restaurants), my sister E & my super fun, partner in crime(in more ways than one on this trip) J!!
IMG_5674.JPG

WHEN: Friday, January 17th - Monday, January 20th(gotta go around those darn school schedules when you have family in the education field)

WHERE(I hope you're sitting down for this one!): Art of Animationo_O
IMG_5785.jpeg

There was no room at the inn at Riverside so we decided to stay here b/c we thought J would really like the Cars suite. In the end we created a monster b/c he has now decided that AoA is his favorite!!

PREAMBLE
We last left off with JSR smuggling the popcorn buckets out of his house for me. BTW--J was in on this too & I was very proud of him for keeping it a secret for so long!!
IMG_5002.JPEG

They were heading to WDW with me!! Also, you may be wondering why there are two. You see, E's hatred for the popcorn bucket didn't just start on our trip in November. A few years ago she, JSR & J were on a Disney cruise & JSR bought the Santa Mickey bucket that you see there. She couldn't stand it back then on the cruise & her feelings really haven't changed. If anything, they've gotten worse!!
IMG_5025.JPEG

We had a 3:50 flight b/c someone(the guy in education) had a half day of school & didn't want to miss work. We met at E's at 12:30 & JSR drove us to the airport. I had went to work that morning & before I left I bought a case of water & put 12 in my suitcase. My boss was busy making fun of me for not buying it in Disney. I told him I had the space in my suitcase & these bottles were for the room. Why spend $3.50 per bottle when I could spend $4.99 for a case of Aquafina?? BTW--it was well worth it. We only had 2 bottles left at the end of the trip!!

Check out J's cute suitcase!!
IMG_5026.JPEG

He's ready to go!! J said that he wanted me to sit next to him in the car. On the way to the airport he told me that he wanted to sit next to me on the plane & the ME. I asked E why he wanted to be my BFF. She said she didn't know but earlier that day out of the blue he told her, "I really like Aunt Patti". I think he saw jelly beans in his future!!
IMG_5027.JPEG

We checked our bags in at curbside & the Southwest agent started humming The March of the First Order when he saw J's suitcase. It was cute. He also profoundly thanked us for the tips b/c he said that it had been a slow day.
IMG_5029.JPEG

J was excited to get on the "monorail". Even though R was still in his work clothes he was somewhat in Disney mode with the Star Wars tie he was wearing!!
IMG_5030.JPEG

We went to TGI Friday's for lunch. We got some kind of combo platter & shared everything. The potstickers & breadsticks were especially good!! That wine wasn't bad either!!;)
IMG_5031.JPEG

Meanwhile, J was enjoying the cheese sticks!!
IMG_5032.JPEG

Last edited:

riverside

Original Poster
He's the only one of us who likes pineapple, but he fell in love with the dolewhip floats on our last trip. He was getting like 3 a day, and then on our last day, we didn't have any snack credits left, but you can use a QS credit for 3 snacks, so he just got 3 dolewhip floats and downed them all.
3 at once!! I would have had a brain freeze for sure!!

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
You're right, oh, how things can change in a blink of an eye. Sending prayers and best wishes for a full recovery to your friend A.

So funny about J's "bootlegged" jelly beans! I would've gotten him some unauthorized candy too, I mean, just look at that sweet face of him! 😊

MickeyCB

J was, as slyly as he could, trying to slide them under his legs so his mom wouldn't see them. After she talked a bit she said she was going to continue shopping. J's exact words when she walked away, and I quote," Oh my gosh. I freaked out when I saw her!!" I told him I did too!!:hilarious:
Absolutely positively hilarious!
Not to add more gloom & doom to this TR but if you could say a prayer for my friend, A it would be much appreciated. A week or so after this trip she started having abdominal pains. Long story short she had surgery on Monday(ovarian cancer which had spread to a lymph node & her diaphragm). The doctor is confident that they got it all out but she'll be doing chemo just to be sure. She's still in the hospital(poor girl, no one can see her) & should be out in a few days & is doing well all things considered. Extra prayers can never hurt though!! 3 months ago we were having the time of our lives--how things have changed--in so many ways.
First- please tell A our thoughts are with her.
And second- I think one of the hardest parts of this pandemic is having to go through something like that alone. No one to be able to listen to the doctors with you as they explain things. No one to be there in your room with you. I said it in my TR and I'll say it again, this just sucks.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
First of all, sending healing thoughts to your friend, A. Wishing a complete recovery for her.

I wonder once Disney reopens how many parents are going to be smacking their kids hands when they touch the poles/chains?

I had to smile at this comment, only because even before "the virus" came along, the parks were giant petri dishes, as it was! ;)

lindawdw

My prayers for your friend A that she recovers completely. It must be not only scary to go through that but to have to do it alone, in a hospital, during a pandemic, must really suck. 😢 J is just the cutuest ever and I can only imagine him trying to be coy with his mom while sliding those jelly beans under his leg!🤣 His Stormtrooper hat looks so adorable on him! I think there's going to be a lot of ground rules between parents and their children before bringing them back into the parks after all of this as kids naturally want to touch everything!

riverside

Original Poster
Definitely sending good thoughts for your friend A.
Thank you!! She came home from the hospital a few days ago!!
You're right, oh, how things can change in a blink of an eye. Sending prayers and best wishes for a full recovery to your friend A.

So funny about J's "bootlegged" jelly beans! I would've gotten him some unauthorized candy too, I mean, just look at that sweet face of him!
Thank you & wow--life has surely changed!!
Exactly!! Speaking of faces E & J were shopping at my work a few weeks ago. As they were leaving I told J to pick out a candy bar. If looks could kill I would have been dead!! That's ok--J still got his candy bar!!
I'm late to the game again ...but glad to see the TR report back!
Sorry about your grandmother and lots of prayers for A!
Thanks so much--I'm having trouble keeping this thing going!!
Thank you--I'm glad it happened before all this. She wouldn't be able to have visitors in the home so that would make me feel bad. I have an uncle in one & he sounds so depressed anymore. He's not good health wise to begin with but not being able to have visitors really seems to be taking it's toll on him.
A texted me this morning & said she's very happy to be home. Ups & downs, of course but doing well all things considered.
Absolutely positively hilarious!
He is so darn funny!! E had taken a video of him opening his gifts on his birthday. One of the things she got him was a Yeti cup. Out of all his gifts he was over the moon excited to get this cup. It was so funny!! "Oh wow!! I can't believe it. My own, my own Yeti cup!!"
First- please tell A our thoughts are with her.
And second- I think one of the hardest parts of this pandemic is having to go through something like that alone. No one to be able to listen to the doctors with you as they explain things. No one to be there in your room with you. I said it in my TR and I'll say it again, this just sucks.
I totally agree. I remember when my mom was in the hospital. 3 of us would listen to the doctor & 1 of us would hear something that the other 2 didn't & vice versa. That's why I felt the more around the better. Being the patient & the only person able to listen to what's going on has to be tough esp. if the patient is on pain meds & isn't really taking it all in.
First of all, sending healing thoughts to your friend, A. Wishing a complete recovery for her.
Thanks so much!! She's a super positive person & such an inspiration it's unbelievable.
I had to smile at this comment, only because even before "the virus" came along, the parks were giant petri dishes, as it was!
You're not kidding there!! I'm really interested to see how this is going to work once they reopen.
My prayers for your friend A that she recovers completely. It must be not only scary to go through that but to have to do it alone, in a hospital, during a pandemic, must really suck. 😢 J is just the cutuest ever and I can only imagine him trying to be coy with his mom while sliding those jelly beans under his leg!🤣 His Stormtrooper hat looks so adorable on him! I think there's going to be a lot of ground rules between parents and their children before bringing them back into the parks after all of this as kids naturally want to touch everything!
I can only imagine & she spent a week there. I feel sorry for people that are having kids during this too. It was hysterical & I would have tried to get it on video but she definitely would have realized something was up. It's going to be tough. Not that I'm touching everything but I know how much I lean against the bars while waiting in line. Probably not a good idea!! He was pretty excited with his hat!!
Prayers for A.

Hilarious!! You and J are definitely a team..."I almost freaked out"
Thanks so much!!
That was funny!! He said something pretty good the next day also--if I can ever get moving with this thing.....
Even as an adult I've reverted back to a child by keeping my hands in my pockets when I have to be out and about. I think I will attempt that mentality for our trip in September (fingers crossed), but I'm betting they are still going to have the Purell stations out in force all over the parks.
I'm sure they will. I really haven't been out except a couple Target runs & to pick up takeout(even this virus can't get me to cook!! :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:) but at work I touch so many things it's unreal. I wash my hands every hour & use tons of sanitizer. I have yet to wear gloves b/c it's too hard for me to work with them on.
My thoughts to A and her family. I’m glad it sounds like she was/is able to get the care she needs. It especially sucks to go through it basically alone.
Thank you!! They didn't waste much time between her diagnosis & the surgery. I think it was less than a week. How quick your life can change.

Check out my new mask!! My sister M made it for me!! We've been under this stay at home order for over a month now but our governor didn't make masks mandatory until yesterday.
IMG_6025.jpeg

BTW-there's our typical rainy Pittsburgh sky in the background!!

riverside

Original Poster
I love your Little Mermaid Mask! Love hearing stories about E and J! The candy bar and Yeti cup made me smile.
Love the mask, Want to find this one too

Thanks!! Here's another one she made that she gave me today:

IMG_6030.jpeg

@lindawdw I'm glad you enjoyed those stories--here's a lousy one from last night......

IMG_6027.jpeg

Worse things could happen, I know. I don't want to sound like I'm whining. But, going to Disney is one of the things that makes me really happy in life & is something I really look forward to.

MickeyCB

View attachment 465383

@lindawdw I'm glad you enjoyed those stories--here's a lousy one from last night......

View attachment 465385

Worse things could happen, I know. I don't want to sound like I'm whining. But, going to Disney is one of the things that makes me really happy in life & is something I really look forward to.
Zero harm in feeling bad about a trip cancellation. It's not whining. You work hard, and it's ok to want to visit your happy place!

lindawdw

View attachment 465383

View attachment 465385

Bummer. :( I know exactly how you feel. I'm extremely fortunate to travel to WDW several times a year and it seems like I always have a trip on the horizon to look forward to when I leave to go home but now it all feels so uncertain. I had a March and May trip cancelled so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for late October. :( Hope you get back there this year!

riverside

Original Poster
Zero harm in feeling bad about a trip cancellation. It's not whining. You work hard, and it's ok to want to visit your happy place!
Bummer. :( I know exactly how you feel. I'm extremely fortunate to travel to WDW several times a year and it seems like I always have a trip on the horizon to look forward to when I leave to go home but now it all feels so uncertain. I had a March and May trip cancelled so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for late October. :( Hope you get back there this year!
I guess the bright side is I'm saving quite a bit of money!! I'd rather be spending it at Disney though!! It's a bummer not knowing when I will be able to go back now. I'm hoping for early fall🤞 I hope we all make it back this year!!

riverside

Original Poster
SUNDAY, JANUARY 19TH

I do love this parade but as I've said in past TR's I'm not one to get there early to stake out a spot. It was so nice of A & S to save us spots. It was perfect & it was fun to see it up close.
IMG_5537.JPEG

IMG_5538.JPEG

IMG_5541.JPEG

IMG_5546.JPEG

IMG_5547.JPEG

IMG_5548.JPEG

For the life of me I can't remember who but someone in the parade gave J a high five!! Too bad I didn't get a better picture:banghead:
IMG_5549.JPEG

IMG_5555.JPEG

IMG_5557.JPEG

J was so cute. He was tapping his hands on his legs through the whole parade.
IMG_5558.JPEG

riverside

Original Poster
SUNDAY, JANUARY 19TH

I took a ton of photos but I'll limit them to 2 posts. Besides, my photography skills aren't the greatest anyways!!
IMG_5561.JPEG

I must say I really liked this one though I wish the color was a bit better.
IMG_5563.JPEG

IMG_5565.JPEG

IMG_5570.JPEG

IMG_5571.JPEG

IMG_5573.JPEG

IMG_5574.JPEG

IMG_5575.JPEG

IMG_5584.JPEG

IMG_5585.JPEG

We had a great time watching the parade & hearing what A & S had been doing the last few days. They were leaving the next day also but they had a later flight than us. They were planning on going to HS early to get a boarding group for RotR. I told them what I got & what time I was called. Fortunately for them they got an early enough one that they were able to ride. I was so happy for them!! After a little more chatting A left to go to The Contemporary to pick something up. S talked with us a little longer. We talked about the the woman on the flight who caused the plane to be "pulled over." They were in the very back of the plane & S said he felt like tripping her when she came out of the bathroom but he knew that would cause a further delay so he didn't!!🤣🤣🤣

riverside

Original Poster
I'm sorry about your trip. I'm eager to go back to WDW, too but when we go, I think things will look VERY, VERY different (it will still be worth it, though). Glad you had prime seats for the parade!
Yeah--it's a bummer. I'm a pretty simple person & don't do much but I absolutely love going to Disney. It's probably my favorite thing to do in life so it bums me out. I'm sure it will be very different but I'll be happy to go just the same!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom