June 1st reservations & just not sure

Nick Garrick

Original Poster
Hi everyone - AP holder here, in the Medical field & have reservations for WDW from June 12 -15th to finally see the Villians Afterhours & just spend a weekend get away for myself that I do in the summer. I have this suspicion that they are not going to really open the parks due to Covid in FL with what’s going on. Guess I’m just wondering if I should bite the bullet & cancel or wait to see if WDW does it for me. I love WDW after becoming an AP holder in 2019 but have the medical/biological background - Veterinarain here- I just don’t know what I should do & I guess I’d like some opinions from fellow Disney fans on a Friday night after working a tough week. Ft Lauderdale here as well.
I’d love some opinions. I think they’ll open but it will be for Disney Springs only - and NOT the parks like everyone is thinking.
opinions???

Wendy Pleakley

I highly doubt WDW will be open by then. However, no one can say for sure and there's no downside to keeping the reservation and just waiting.

I was supposed to be in Anaheim as of June 2nd, and even in the unlikely event Disneyland is open, I ask myself would it even be fun visiting a theme park at this time? So that's a question you might ask yourself as well, would such a trip be fun, or stressful?

Nick Garrick

Original Poster
I highly doubt WDW will be open by then. However, no one can say for sure and there's no downside to keeping the reservation and just waiting.

I was supposed to be in Anaheim as of June 2nd, and even in the unlikely event Disneyland is open, I ask myself would it even be fun visiting a theme park at this time? So that's a question you might ask yourself as well, would such a trip be fun, or stressful?
Exactly - would the trip REALLY be fun & relaxing. My honest opinion? No.
that’s why tonight I’m just wondering if I should just cancel on my own or just wait. A part of me feels that I may not be comfortable going unto the late Fall, winter or early next year. Guess I’m just a realists or just understand this crap more than most. 🙁

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It won’t be fun...but it’s most likely not happening anyway.

I would not cancel...even if they’re open on some kind of skeleton ship operation...they’ll let you bail at that time. They like money...but they don’t need it so much that they’ll fight you to force you there. That’s not good for business.

Giss Neric

Hi everyone - AP holder here, in the Medical field & have reservations for WDW from June 12 -15th to finally see the Villians Afterhours & just spend a weekend get away for myself that I do in the summer. I have this suspicion that they are not going to really open the parks due to Covid in FL with what’s going on. Guess I’m just wondering if I should bite the bullet & cancel or wait to see if WDW does it for me. I love WDW after becoming an AP holder in 2019 but have the medical/biological background - Veterinarain here- I just don’t know what I should do & I guess I’d like some opinions from fellow Disney fans on a Friday night after working a tough week. Ft Lauderdale here as well.
I’d love some opinions. I think they’ll open but it will be for Disney Springs only - and NOT the parks like everyone is thinking.
opinions???
Don't cancel and wait until next announcement of extension of closures or hopefully reopening.

MrsPrice96

In the Parks
No
We arrive May 31 and I am waiting to cancel. I am torn as well with what to do. We will not have the opportunity to reschedule so easily. Husband is military and we are due to move next summer plus 2 kids in college. We had/have 5 of us going and just waiting and hoping we don't have to cancel. On the other hand with my husbands high blood pressure do we really want to be the first in the park being near thousands of others???? UGH

MissViv

I do not think they will be open in June, probably not even July. I would not cancel if there is a penalty. You can call to see if you can cancel with no penalty and receive all your money back or reschedule in the fall.

Even if they do open later in the summer or fall, not sure it would be safe to travel there. China is still not open and they closed on 1/25, here it is almost 3 months later and no sign of opening. I'm sure Disney World will be the same way. I would not take any chances.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Stupid question (it may be stupid because I haven't thought about it all) - is there any financial advantage to cancelling in advance or waiting? That would what would guide my decision. It sounds like they'll refund the trip if you wait and Disney has to extend the closure. If that is correct, there's no issue with waiting if you would be willing to go if WDW opens earlier than expected.

Next scenario - WDW opens earlier rather than later, but you don't want to go. If you waited to cancel, would Disney's usual cancellation rules apply? Could be bad if the park opens the day before your trip starts. I THINK they'd be understanding in this case, but I would go ahead and cancel if you can get a refund right now. No reason to wait if you'd be uncomfortable going.

Worst scenario - some people in your party would want to go if WDW reopens earlier than many expect. Some people in your party don't want to go if WDW reopens earlier than many expect. No advice here.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Stupid question (it may be stupid because I haven't thought about it all) - is there any financial advantage to cancelling in advance or waiting? That would what would guide my decision. It sounds like they'll refund the trip if you wait and Disney has to extend the closure. If that is correct, there's no issue with waiting if you would be willing to go if WDW opens earlier than expected.

Next scenario - WDW opens earlier rather than later, but you don't want to go. If you waited to cancel, would Disney's usual cancellation rules apply? Could be bad if the park opens the day before your trip starts. I THINK they'd be understanding in this case, but I would go ahead and cancel if you can get a refund right now. No reason to wait if you'd be uncomfortable going.

Worst scenario - some people in your party would want to go if WDW reopens earlier than many expect. Some people in your party don't want to go if WDW reopens earlier than many expect. No advice here.
There would be an advantage to canceling if you avoid sometype of refund window...but I don’t believe It’s this far out...and they have waived all penalties under the circumstances anyway. That’s the right call on their part.

The only problems I’ve heard cropping up are DVC...which was inevitable.

Chicagoshannon2

If you need to use the money now then cancel. If not wait it out. If things go well with opening things up they could be open in as little as 28 days (Florida seems to have entered phase 1 of opening yesterday).

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

We're supposed to be there from May 14-23 and I'm assuming that one is definitely not gonna happen. We're in a different scenario because we're DVC members and they have to just put our points back. Then our next trip for this year is from Oct 2-10 and I'm hoping for that one that there will be some sense of normalcy. We always go in May and September or October would never even consider going in June or the peak months because the crowds get even more out of hand then will all the summer vacationers but I'm really curious about trying to just reschedule our May trip for June because I'm thinking that people will still maybe be in a sort of paranoid mode and just not feel comfortable going. I'm a UPS man and considered "essential" and so I figure if I was gonna get the virus I would have already had it because I'm around tons of people on my job everyday anyway and so if they're open by my May trip I would have zero fear in going but I understand not everyone is like that. I'm just curious what people are thinking it might be like when they open in June. Some people might have been so financially impacted that a trip to an expensive place wouldn't be a wise decision for them right now and maybe I could still get a trip in with reasonable crowd levels for June if they decided to open it back or do people think it will still be flocked to as soon as it's opened?

Trust2deal

Hi all - here is my story - it might help you in making decisions? We had an original vacation set for March 18th - parks closed so we rescheduled to May 6th. Our reservation consisted of two rooms, 6 adults, dining reservations, fast passes, VIP tour, late-night pass option and park hoppers.

I know the May date optimistic but we did it anyway. Last Thursday Disney reached out to cancel our VIP tour and fast passes for the May 6th trip. They mentioned that they were now looking at a May 9th opening. Nothing official of course but interesting what you will learn from talking with the staff.

When they reached out last week, we decided to rebook for June 3rd. Knowing what we know now, I know June 3rd is optimistic. We are giving it one more try to see if things will lighten up by then. If that doesn't work, we will punt to later in the year.

We booked through Disney Travel FYI. I must say the people at Disney Travel were wonderful in all aspects of planning and more importantly changing the reservation; now twice. They never once pressured us and mentioned several times they would cancel and refund all our money. They assisted in rebooking all our dining reservations as well. The thing they offered for the rebooking was the dining plan FYI. Also, I noticed that the pricing reduced between March to May, and again between May to June. They will offer you a full refund at any time.

Hcalvert

Hi all - here is my story - it might help you in making decisions? We had an original vacation set for March 18th - parks closed so we rescheduled to May 6th. Our reservation consisted of two rooms, 6 adults, dining reservations, fast passes, VIP tour, late-night pass option and park hoppers.

I know the May date optimistic but we did it anyway. Last Thursday Disney reached out to cancel our VIP tour and fast passes for the May 6th trip. They mentioned that they were now looking at a May 9th opening. Nothing official of course but interesting what you will learn from talking with the staff.

When they reached out last week, we decided to rebook for June 3rd. Knowing what we know now, I know June 3rd is optimistic. We are giving it one more try to see if things will lighten up by then. If that doesn't work, we will punt to later in the year.

We booked through Disney Travel FYI. I must say the people at Disney Travel were wonderful in all aspects of planning and more importantly changing the reservation; now twice. They never once pressured us and mentioned several times they would cancel and refund all our money. They assisted in rebooking all our dining reservations as well. The thing they offered for the rebooking was the dining plan FYI. Also, I noticed that the pricing reduced between March to May, and again between May to June. They will offer you a full refund at any time.
I was looking at tickets today and you cannot choose a date until June 1. I am thinking that is somewhat of a clue as well, but who knows? Also, didn't an administrator post recently that Disney has been cancelling reservations through mid-May?

Whippet Mom

Hi everyone - AP holder here, in the Medical field & have reservations for WDW from June 12 -15th to finally see the Villians Afterhours & just spend a weekend get away for myself that I do in the summer. I have this suspicion that they are not going to really open the parks due to Covid in FL with what’s going on. Guess I’m just wondering if I should bite the bullet & cancel or wait to see if WDW does it for me. I love WDW after becoming an AP holder in 2019 but have the medical/biological background - Veterinarian here- I just don’t know what I should do & I guess I’d like some opinions from fellow Disney fans on a Friday night after working a tough week. Ft Lauderdale here as well.
opinions???
I think I would just wait to see what happens..

Ricky Spanish

We have June 4-14 reservations.
We know that even if (by some slim chance) WDW is open, it will be a cluster****.
We are waiting til May 5th to reschedule the dates to next year.

HouCuseChickie

I'd wait. I've got a trip planned for mid-July. I am not sinking any $ in to park tickets even though my 60 day mark is approaching, but I'm leaving my room reservations in place for now. If the parks are still closed for my dates, I'll see what they're offering if I want to rebook for dates down the road. If the parks are open, but it's a drastically cut experience for a not so drastically cut price, I'll probably get my $ back.

Rbenz81

I would wait to see if there is any announcement from the Florida Governors office next. The task force formed to advise on how to reopen the state is supposed to have their report to the governor tomorrow. Disney has waived all cancellation fees for reservations through June 31st up to the date of arrival so you have nothing to lose by waiting. We have a trip scheduled for July 1-10 and if there is DVC availability in December we will be rescheduling our trip to then. Hopefully things will be a little better by then. Fingers crossed at least.

NelleBelle

We're supposed to be there from May 14-23 and I'm assuming that one is definitely not gonna happen. We're in a different scenario because we're DVC members and they have to just put our points back. Then our next trip for this year is from Oct 2-10 and I'm hoping for that one that there will be some sense of normalcy. We always go in May and September or October would never even consider going in June or the peak months because the crowds get even more out of hand then will all the summer vacationers but I'm really curious about trying to just reschedule our May trip for June because I'm thinking that people will still maybe be in a sort of paranoid mode and just not feel comfortable going. I'm a UPS man and considered "essential" and so I figure if I was gonna get the virus I would have already had it because I'm around tons of people on my job everyday anyway and so if they're open by my May trip I would have zero fear in going but I understand not everyone is like that. I'm just curious what people are thinking it might be like when they open in June. Some people might have been so financially impacted that a trip to an expensive place wouldn't be a wise decision for them right now and maybe I could still get a trip in with reasonable crowd levels for June if they decided to open it back or do people think it will still be flocked to as soon as it's opened?
So June isn’t nearly as bad as it used to be attendance-wise as in previous years, especially early June (this year excluded because it’s a cluster)! We went a in June 2 years ago and the crowd levels were no worse than a they were when we’ve been in the fall (actually a bit lighter. So if you ever do have to book for the summer...June’s not so bad!

As for WDW opening this June, I’d didn’t believe last month but given that FL is already going ahead and opening things up and that Disney hasn’t cancelled those June reservations, I expect that they’ll open the parks in some limited capacity.

As for DLR, I don’t buy that happening anytime soon given CA is likely to be a lot more cautious opening things up (but who knows...it’s all guessing) 🤷‍♀️

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom