Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calmdownnow

Or, half the parents complain it's not enough work for their kid, and half complain it's too much work for their kid. Good times.
Seriously, the one thing that is coming out of this pandemic is that a large proportion of the population is beginning to understand the types of working folk that keep the wheels on during a crisis -- yes, we have always known that the emergency service workers and the military do this -- but we are now beginning to acknowledge the importance of teachers, health professionals, cleaners, transport workers, point of sales staff in our local food stores and many more. Hope we don't forget their service and personal contribution once this emergency is over

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Well, it's close to home now. My SIL (who works at a hospital) has tested positive. She's sequestering herself in an upstairs bedroom of their house. Hopefully, being very healthy works in her favor. She's mid-40s.

Hoping for the best for her! It's definitely scary to think about in the context of everything happening, but the odds are in her favor.

Nubs70

What has been going up 8% annually? Maybe you could point to education and health care (and possibly a few others), but core inflation has been incredibly tame over the past decade in comparison to post WWII America.

Inflation is masked by a concept known as "replacement effect". If you look at a basket of goods of where one purchased filet mignon. If the price of filet mignon increases, Replacement Effect will substitute lower cost hamburger for filet mignon and say there is no inflation.

An equivalent argument would be Deluxe and Moderate resorts at WDW. Deluxe resorts have priced out people and have dropped a tier to Moderate. Replacement Effect says prices thus inflation has dropped. When we all know that one has replaced experience for price.

ImperfectPixie

Hoping for the best for her! It's definitely scary to think about in the context of everything happening, but the odds are in her favor.
They are. I'm thankful that her kids are in their upper teens, so they don't rely on her (or their dad) for nearly as much as younger kids would, and keeping them from trying to be with her won't be an issue.

Nubs70

I keep seeing people yelling doomsday for the movie theater industry because AMC and Regal could go bankrupt while their theaters are still shuttered.

News flash, people: the industry is bigger than AMC and Regal. It can survive without them. AMC and Regal were mismanaged garbage dumps even before the crisis. Much of their issues are entirely of their own making. If they had made smarter investment decisions (and paid attention to their debt) they wouldn't be in this mess.
If there is value in portions of these businesses, they will be aquired.

Nubs70

Also have been reading about 50 something South Koreans that supposedly tested positive for a 2nd time. Now of course they are taking a hard look to see if they just weren’t still infected and tested positive again or whether they did contract it again. There’s still a lot of unknowns so glad the parks are not thinking about rushing things.
These 50 represent about 0.5% of those who have tested positive.

Lilofan

Well, it's close to home now. My SIL (who works at a hospital) has tested positive. She's sequestering herself in an upstairs bedroom of their house. Hopefully, being very healthy works in her favor. She's mid-40s.
I'm really sorry to hear that. I wish her a speedy recovery. I have family members that are doctors and nurses in hospitals. One hospital has converted many areas to be Covid areas. All of them in the hospital whatever their roles ( from the aides to the doctors, RNs and admin staff ) have such critical roles and deserve the best recognitions and prayers.

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

I'm really sorry to hear that. I wish her a speedy recovery. I have family members that are doctors and nurses in hospitals. One hospital has converted many areas to be Covid areas. All of them in the hospital whatever their roles ( from the aides to the doctors and admin staff have such critical roles and deserve the best recognitions and prayers.
They really do.

MickeyLuv'r

Edward Jenner discovered vaccines in 1796. The limitations to the smallpox vaccine reaching the entire US population had more to do with public health campaigns rather than science. Keep in mind all this happened in the 50s too. Lots have changed.

For certain. I think that's more or less what I tried to say at the end of my post.
Even recently if you look globally at recent vaccination attempts, it is a big challenge to vaccinate everyone, for a number of reasons.

I mean, if even doctors from almost any country other than the USA developed a vaccine, and said they wanted to give it to every American, I'm not sure every American would automatically trust their good intentions.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Publix announced Thursday that the aisles in its grocery stores will become one-way to keep customers further apart amid the coronavirus outbreak."

“To help with customer traffic flow, we have added directional markings, companywide, to our aisles. This will allow customers and associates to better distance themselves while on the aisles,” a statement from Publix said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom