Disney College Program for Fall Advantage Cancelled

DisneyDreamerxyz

as a Spring Advantage CP that was sent home after two months when I had planned to stay all year, I'm very sorry to the Fall Advantage CPs who's programs were cancelled. I can't imagine not having any time at all as hard as it was to get the news and have to move out of housing and say goodbye to everything in three days. There's so many that only have once chance to do this program based on what their plan is for their future. Disney will be losing alot of vibrant young people who may have stuck with Disney but will be forced to look elsewhere. So many leaders in the company started in the college program.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Well, that’s ominous.

Restrictions and conditions on Government bailouts to Disney and others will play a heavy role in to how they handle staffing. I would expect that there will be major restrictions on how Disney can layoff or not bring back CM as a condition to taking government money. I would also expect that such planning is actively occurring in collaboration with their lobbyists and local elected representatives.

Lilofan

Restrictions and conditions on Government bailouts to Disney and others will play a heavy role in to how they handle staffing. I would expect that there will be major restrictions on how Disney can layoff or not bring back CM as a condition to taking government money. I would also expect that such planning is actively occurring in collaboration with their lobbyists and local elected representatives.
Taking govt $$ has nothing to do with Disney deciding to furlough,layoff or decide who to bring back from a furlough including restructuring which means some job elimination.

Lilofan

It does when the government money has conditions.
DC is more worried about employers doing stock buybacks and high level staff enriching themselves with bonuses with bailout $$. In regards to staffing, that's a slim chance govt will take into consideration. WDW parks and resorts are losing at least $20 million per day revenue. They are going to need bailout money.

Lora Baines Bradley

I’m uninformed about this situation, but surely Disney employing thousands across the country for the DCP would look good when asking for a bailout? Again I don’t know much about how these things work.

WDW862

DC is more worried about employers doing stock buybacks and high level staff enriching themselves with bonuses with bailout $$. In regards to staffing, that's a slim chance govt will take into consideration. WDW parks and resorts are losing at least $20 million per day revenue. They are going to need bailout money.
The CARES Act doesn't allow businesses to layoff/furlough employees.

monothingie

Premium Member

SBA loans to small business were contingent on maintaining payrolls for the loans to be forgiven. Airline bailouts are geared to maintaining staffing levels. Disney is amongst many in the hospitality industry looking for a cut of the$250b of aid. You can bet that there will be severe restrictions on Florida’s largest single site employer keeping CM as a condition for government $$.

monothingie

Premium Member
Seems like Disney just did starting on April 18😉 nothing retarded about that.
To my knowledge nothing has been agreed to yet in awarding of government $$. So they are not under obligation to keep workers on payroll. I would expect it to change once something is worked out.

Lilofan

SBA loans to small business were contingent on maintaining payrolls for the loans to be forgiven. Airline bailouts are geared to maintaining staffing levels. Disney is amongst many in the hospitality industry looking for a cut of the$250b of aid. You can bet that there will be severe restrictions on Florida’s largest single site employer keeping CM as a condition for government $$.
Still speculation but only time will tell. Hopefully it's a win win.

markc

Sounds like sour grapes here- if you haven’t done the program you actually have ZERO-ZERO! idea of what happens or how hard the kids work. Let me repeat- ZERO. Both my husband and I did a DCP back in the 90’s and our oldest has done two- Accepted for her third this fall but she got a great opportunity for grad school that she doing instead. And they haven’t done campus presentations in a long time. It’s a very challenging customer service job - I’ve worked theme parks, amusement parks and retail while in high school and college. Working with the public - especially entitled DW guests- is not easy, and a valuable people skill that WILL carry with them.

No sour grapes here. In the current capacity of what I do (as ominous as that sounds ;-) ), I don't believe I need to have done the program to understand the programs strengths and weaknesses. It's great you and your family seemed to have had a blast with it and done well in your own ways with it, and even better that your daughter has been able to to take a great opportunity with grad school! I dont think anybody is discounting the customer service or people skills you obtain by working at a theme park whether in the WDWCP or just as a regular cast member. And sure - it's a great conversation piece in interviews. I always ask about it if I see it on a resume as well. It won't sway my decision on hiring somebody either way, but it's often a good way to make the candidate a little more relaxed by talking about an experience like that (good or bad). The takeaway message that I was simply stating is that it's not this golden ticket to an amazing career at Disney or other places like many people seem to think nor is it necessarily the best way to be apart of TWDC in your career path. It's a good temporary job for those who either dont know what they want to be when they graduate and those who have some time to burn and put their 4 year degree on hold while they explore what living in Florida is like.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

The takeaway message that I was simply stating is that it's not this golden ticket to an amazing career at Disney or other places like many people seem to think

I mean that’s true for college in general... actually it’s true for everything in life.

I don’t see anyone claiming it’s a golden ticket.

Rosso11

I was also Quick Service Food! Stands east, Magic Kingdom! The majority of the people I worked with were the full length CP program (except during the day shift it was a good mix).

I dreamed of doing an attraction, but my food background was a perfect fit. Honestly it was the best summer of my life. As I was an ICP we only got 2.5 months. But to work in MK, make magic everyday... it was a literal dream.

One of these days I should share the story of my magical last shift at Magic Kingdom.
Hahaha I was Stands East also. What year?

DarkMetroid567

I hadn't thought about this until recently, but if the slow opening and limited capacity updates are true, it makes it a hell of a lot more likely that the Fall program just gets outright cancelled.

WDW was already overstaffed, so I imagine a trimming will happen in some capacity or another. If they really did bring back CPs for "cheap labor", it would come at the expense of locals, and Disney would (deservedly) get a lot of backlash.

TrojanUSC

I hadn't thought about this until recently, but if the slow opening and limited capacity updates are true, it makes it a hell of a lot more likely that the Fall program just gets outright cancelled.

WDW was already overstaffed, so I imagine a trimming will happen in some capacity or another. If they really did bring back CPs for "cheap labor", it would come at the expense of locals, and Disney would (deservedly) get a lot of backlash.

I wouldn't say it was overstaffed on the front line. It's overstaffed with a ton of low-to-middle salaried management.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom