Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lora Baines Bradley

Thinking out of the box, maybe cast members that may lose their homes or evicted out of their apartments can be housed in the vacant college program housing. College Program cast were getting charged rent and cast members can be charged accordingly.
I heard this was the plan with the Flamingo Crossing housing. The plan was to get rid of Vista, have all the CPs in FC, and use Patterson, Chatham, and Commons as CM housing. No clue if that's true but it's a rumor I heard.

Giss Neric

Customized face masks with designs are becoming popular in Asia. If they sell those masks with their usual designs, it could become popular at these times.

Lilofan

No. They aren’t. My husband is highly qualified in warehouses and retail... they just keep saying they have too many applicants vs jobs. Stop making it seem like it’s super easy to just go scoop up a job.
Look at the big picture. Please don't assume I said it is easy. Nothing is in life. Just because your husband can't find work doesn't describe other cities and towns looking to find workers. 😉

Last edited:

Lilofan

I heard this was the plan with the Flamingo Crossing housing. The plan was to get rid of Vista, have all the CPs in FC, and use Patterson, Chatham, and Commons as CM housing. No clue if that's true but it's a rumor I heard.
Orlando surely could need more apartments. The apt and transient capital of FL. 😉

Last edited:

Lilofan

Was pretty much a given. The parks wont re-open any time soon. The constant delays and 'oh I'll just pop out and get a coffee to take away, no harm' crowd have made sure of that.

I'm thinking July to August at the earliest, with phased reopenings.
It's going to be interesting with salaried leaders of all levels on furlough after April 18 collecting unemployment and technically they can't game plan ways to get the parks and resorts open because they are on furlough.

DisneyCane

So if I understand the logic, it is highly likely that there are undetected outbreaks that aren't causing large scale problems so therefore it is critical to implement lockdowns to prevent problems that aren't happening even though the outbreaks are already happening?

I still honestly wonder how much this disease would have been noticed if people thought it was a particularly virulent strain of the flu. I also wonder if we are actually much further into the curve than reported.

I'm really looking forward to availability of antibody testing, hopefully within a month, to figure out what percentage of people already have had COVID-19 and we're either asymptomatic or thought it was a cold or flu.

There was a blood drive somewhere in Italy within the past few days and over 60% of a sample of donors tested positive even though they had no symptoms and have been under lockdown since March 10th. Those are active infections so logic would say that a large percentage of the negatives would have a positive antibody test.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
At the same time, there are people whose livelihoods depend on people “living their lives.” Some 70,000 CMs depend on people coming to vacation and travel from all over the world. No, joblessness doesn’t directly result in death like a disease can. But losing a job can result in homelessness, lack of healthcare, depression, suicidal thoughts, all of which things can easily lead to death too.

I don’t have the exact answer, but I know it lies somewhere between, “let’s shut the world down for months on end to save humanity” and “let’s get the world back to normal tomorrow to save humanity.”

This is exactly what I have been struggling with in my head. I don't see how you can go back to normal without a vaccine, but I also don't see how we can sustain this level of economic disruption until a vaccine is available. What does the middle ground actually look like?

celluloid

IMO this is a bad move when we still have people becoming infected daily. When they open one thing the public will slack off --now is not the time for golfing you can putt balls in your backyard or house if you are that addicted to golf

Not the safest thing, one could make arguments for that.
Well one of, if not the profession that holds the most would be doctors. If it gives them R and R on their limited time off and helps them save more lives while still doing best practices, I would say that is a good argument for it. If we can give alcoholics their health, than we can give the mental health to the most stressed right now.

DisneyDebRob

It's somewhat weird what's being allowed to operate and what's not.

Some reports are saying New York is letting golf courses open with strict tee times.

If that's allowed I feel like we could allow some other non-essential businesses to continue to operate under strict policys (Like Drive in movie theatre's, Car Washes, library's ect?)
These are the reasons I feel this thing will just linger.. and possibly set up another wave. I could be way off and I’m admitting it but theres so much still open drawing crowds. Golf is open in a lot of states. The big places like Walmart and Target are packed, you can’t even get a parking spot. Wife just called yesterday to a local fabric shop for some fabric to make something. The woman said you can order over the phone but we are open for you to come in but it will be awhile because we are packed. Georgia just opened the beaches. Not saying any of this should or should not be open right now, just saying that it may be longer then we all think.
I’m still home and plan to stay here for awhile.

John park hopper

A Drive in Movie theatre is a good option though because every party is isolated and has universal appeal and gives some sort of normalcy during this crisis.

Also there's a few under 45 minutes away from me.
I could not tell you where the closest drive-in is around me they have been gone for years

DisneyCane

It's somewhat weird what's being allowed to operate and what's not.

Some reports are saying New York is letting golf courses open with strict tee times.

If that's allowed I feel like we could allow some other non-essential businesses to continue to operate under strict policys (Like Drive in movie theatre's, Car Washes, library's ect?)
In my opinion ALL business should be allowed to operate as long as they have strict social distancing and require employees to wear masks and constantly wash hands or use hand sanitizer between customer interactions.

The only businesses that should be closed are where they can't implement social distancing. WDW would be very difficult to operate due to the walkways unless they operated far below normal capacity.

You aren't any less likely to spread the virus at a grocery store than at a clothing store if both have the same social distancing in place.

Polynesia

It's going to be interesting with salaried leaders of all levels on furlough after April 18 collecting unemployment and technically they can't game plan ways to get the parks and resorts open because they are on furlough.
I have no doubt Disney knows what they’re doing. The essential team will still be working and others called back as needed. Game planning has probably been happening constantly from day one.

DisneyDebRob

In my opinion ALL business should be allowed to operate as long as they have strict social distancing and require employees to wear masks and constantly wash hands or use hand sanitizer between customer interactions.

The only businesses that should be closed are where they can't implement social distancing. WDW would be very difficult to operate due to the walkways unless they operated far below normal capacity.

You aren't any less likely to spread the virus at a grocery store than at a clothing store if both have the same social distancing in place.
Really easy to say “as long as they do this or that “. We are seeing now thousands of pictures of places not doing that that are supposed to be distancing. If every business is to open as you want, it would be impossible to police it. Just the ones allowed right now, many aren’t abiding by the rules.
You are assuming things and we all know what happens when we do that.

DisneyCane

I live in South West Michigan.

But it's something incredibly easy to construct quickly, just need a parking lot and assemble a screen.

The screen needs to be built to code for wind loading and fire. It's not something that can be assembled in 5 minutes cheaply. The projector will cost close to $50,000.

Then there's the issue of movie supply. Production came to a stop worldwide so even where filming is complete, they can't finish post production. People won't pay enough for old movies to make the cost of well over $100,000 worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom