The Sorcerer's Apprentice Season 6: ODYSSEY

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
giphy.gif

VACATION all I've ever wanted! VACATION had to get away!

(Obviously not an actual vacation. Stay at home, please)

Team Iger has requested a Vacation Day

This Project is now due Sunday, April 4th at 11:59 PM EST

There is now roughly 41 Hours and 32 Minutes left in Stanza XII

source.gif

Outbound

Stanza XII - Fantasmic 2000
Note: This was supposed to be posted a lot earlier, but for some reason, the site wasn't accepting photo uploads.
With under 2 days left in the twelfth Stanza, let's take some time for some behind the scenes info! It can also serve as a convenient reminder that the current stanza is almost done!

The Posters of Season Six
For Stanza XII's Fantasmic 2000 post, we're going to talk about the season's stanza posters!

Initially, we planned each Stanza to be named after a Disney Soundtrack, similar to that of the Sorcerer's Apprentice Endgame. One of the first posters I made was based on this theme:

StanzaOneOld.png

Although a cool concept, it was ultimately decided to go a more original route with Spy-Movie Puns. It was the better choice for this season. Plus, Stanza One wasn't really about Star Wars.

Later on, we ran into some trouble with Stanza Three.

StanzaThreeOld.png

So the original plan was to set a British Stanza for Alton Towers third, and then the fifth stanza would be for America (like it was in Seasons 4 and 5). It was changed for two reasons. One, we felt although we wanted Season Six to have more international parks, we also didn't want to overload all these different parks and lose the Disney focus (so we went to Morroco / EPCOT instead). Second, we figured it would be better to use Alton Towers with the other European Parks for a Stanza Five.

You can see the influence though this WIP had compared to the final draft for Stanza Five:

StanzaFive.png

Act Two went very smoothly. The only change was a subtle improvement to Stanza Ten's design made at the last second. Here is a before / after:

StanzaTen.png
StanzaTenNew.png

Stanzas 11 and 12 went unchanged, but there were some differences in Stanzas 13 and 14. BEWARE OF SPOILERS

Warning, the following are WIP drafts for 13 and 14. These were both changed (one minor, one overhauled) but for one, the name is the same as it will be in the finished draft, and for the other, the design sans the name is near identical. Turn away if you wish to be unspoiled.

Okay?

Early plans for Stanza 13 were to be a restaurant round. This name and challenge were changed, but the design of the poster remains the same.

StanzaThirteennew.png

For Stanza 14, I started out saying "Ok, go big or go home". And I got this ridiculous thing. A part of me likes it, but it didn't feel right and so was entirely scrapped aside from the name. I think the name "Mickey's Odyssey" suits the season well. But aside from that, expect something very different.

StanzaFourteen.png

That's it for Stanza XII's Fantasmic 2000! If there's anything you're interested in learning about, let us know!

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
1338445797397_969297.png

Due to some extenuating circumstances, we've found a loop hole. Iger already used a vacation day, but Eisner hasn't. Considering the situation going on with certain players, we've decided to look past the "One Vacation day per Stanza" rule and allow one more extra day.

Team Eisner has requested a Vacation Day

This Project is now due Monday, April 6th at 11:59 PM EST

This will be the FINAL vacation day of the season (barring an emergency). Make good use of it, Agents.

source.gif

spacemt354

Chili's
The SAU/WDW Hotel Stimulus (Part 4)

As we've moved north from the Epcot Resort Area we ride the monorail towards the Magic Kingdom Resort Area and the new Inventus Resort Area.
resort12.jpg

Over the years the Magic Kingdom Resort Area has undergone numerous transformations; The Mt. Pele Water Park, Disney's European Village Resort, and several in-park additions including (left to right stars)
The Sierran Expedition (E-Ticket)
Mickey & Friends Circus Spectacular (C-Ticket)
Curse of the Cauldron (E-Ticket)
TRON: Lightcycle Power Run (E-ticket).

Other enhancement projects have been underway in the SAU Resorts to accommodate the influx of new attractions and popularity to aid guest experiences. For example:

The Perfect Park Acres Recreation Project - at Disney's Contemporary Resort.
contemp121.jpg

Over the years the Contemporary has been a staple of Walt Disney World vacations from its iconic A-shaped tower, to the monorail going through the lobby, and so on, but the metallic design needs and update. Adding in the storyline from the Tomorrowland Transit Authority about "perfect park acres" being the latest in Hoverburb communities - this would be the premise for the includsion of garden park recreation projects, a new pool, sports complexes, and much more green space throughout the resort complex.

Continuing counterclockwise we arrive at Disney's Wilderness Lodge - which in the Spring into Summer event - received the family scavenger hunt by @AceAstro - but will now also recieve a new dining experience connected in story to Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and S.E.A. entitled - the Timber Peak Saloon!

Based on the project done by @Basketbuddy101 myself and others in 2016 - The Timber Peak Saloon will be the perfect compliment option at the Wilderness Lodge for a cozy, old-fashioned pacific northwest frontier atmosphere. It's still one of my favorite projects of all time and now has a place in the SAU!
3_zpsma8xrx7r.png

20160708_172729_zpspiwsujd5.jpg

Continuing forward we reach (another) one of my favorite projects that has nestled into a home in the SAU - which is Walt Disney's Progress City Resort. Having been teased as a location for some time since 2017, the former Great Movie Ride Project from @Disney Dad 3000 's competition will be added to the Magic Kingdom/Inventus Resort Area - where it was originally places, as an enhancement to the Transportation and Ticket Center into Edison Square. With several hundred resort guest rooms and a future DVC tie-in - this will greatly help accommodate the needed capacity for the Resort.
6425515476817636150%253Faccount_id%253D9

2224433378698227469%253Faccount_id%253D9

The last enhancement is more of an aesthetic and convenience touch-up - but the (now official) Grand Floridian walkway to the Magic Kingdom will be completed giving guests an alternative to the crowded boats and monorail when exiting the park to get back to their resort, similar to the walkway to the Contemporary.
----------------------------------------------

Thank you and tune in for the final part soon where we will look at one more resort addition along with some road mapping alterations setting up for the future!​

AceAstro

The SAU/WDW Hotel Stimulus (Part 4)

As we've moved north from the Epcot Resort Area we ride the monorail towards the Magic Kingdom Resort Area and the new Inventus Resort Area.
View attachment 461222

Over the years the Magic Kingdom Resort Area has undergone numerous transformations; The Mt. Pele Water Park, Disney's European Village Resort, and several in-park additions including (left to right stars)
The Sierran Expedition (E-Ticket)
Mickey & Friends Circus Spectacular (C-Ticket)
Curse of the Cauldron (E-Ticket)
TRON: Lightcycle Power Run (E-ticket).

Other enhancement projects have been underway in the SAU Resorts to accommodate the influx of new attractions and popularity to aid guest experiences. For example:

The Perfect Park Acres Recreation Project - at Disney's Contemporary Resort.
contemp121.jpg

Over the years the Contemporary has been a staple of Walt Disney World vacations from its iconic A-shaped tower, to the monorail going through the lobby, and so on, but the metallic design needs and update. Adding in the storyline from the Tomorrowland Transit Authority about "perfect park acres" being the latest in Hoverburb communities - this would be the premise for the includsion of garden park recreation projects, a new pool, sports complexes, and much more green space throughout the resort complex.

Continuing counterclockwise we arrive at Disney's Wilderness Lodge - which in the Spring into Summer event - received the family scavenger hunt by @AceAstro - but will now also recieve a new dining experience connected in story to Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and S.E.A. entitled - the Timber Peak Saloon!

Based on the project done by @Basketbuddy101 myself and others in 2016 - The Timber Peak Saloon will be the perfect compliment option at the Wilderness Lodge for a cozy, old-fashioned pacific northwest frontier atmosphere. It's still one of my favorite projects of all time and now has a place in the SAU!
3_zpsma8xrx7r.png

20160708_172729_zpspiwsujd5.jpg

Continuing forward we reach (another) one of my favorite projects that has nestled into a home in the SAU - which is Walt Disney's Progress City Resort. Having been teased as a location for some time since 2017, the former Great Movie Ride Project from @Disney Dad 3000 's competition will be added to the Magic Kingdom/Inventus Resort Area - where it was originally places, as an enhancement to the Transportation and Ticket Center into Edison Square. With several hundred resort guest rooms and a future DVC tie-in - this will greatly help accommodate the needed capacity for the Resort.
6425515476817636150%253Faccount_id%253D9

2224433378698227469%253Faccount_id%253D9

The last enhancement is more of an aesthetic and convenience touch-up - but the (now official) Grand Floridian walkway to the Magic Kingdom will be completed giving guests an alternative to the crowded boats and monorail when exiting the park to get back to their resort, similar to the walkway to the Contemporary.
----------------------------------------------

Thank you and tune in for the final part soon where we will look at one more resort addition along with some road mapping alterations setting up for the future!​
The Progress City Resort was such a fun project to work on! I am glad it is being added to the SAU!

spacemt354

Chili's
Space's Reviews

Back to ye olde midnight reviews!

Team Eisner
- Ever since Disney Springs this cultural approach to me has been the go-to route irl and in the SAU (ie the winning Season 5 Tokyo project). And given the location in Mumbai, akin to Tokyo, it just makes a lot of sense.
- The map is again incredible - granted it would be hard for someone else to replicate this style on the fly, but it's such a great compliment to Mumbai and fleshes out the rest of the resort wonderfully!
- Looking at the districts and set up - it embraces the bright architectural choices of Mumbai Disneyland which as was researched is something that sticks with Indian culture.
- Not much to say about West Shore other than I appreciate the metro tie-in as for many that will be their first glimpse at Mumbai Disneyland.
- The Grand Market highlights are the original stores - I understand the need to include more generic Disney stores, but when you branch out into novel ones that's where it shines.
- Indus Island I think is the one that jumps off the page the most given how it has the creative freedom to have all these new restaurants like the Cricket Club Lounge.
- Independence Square is the district I think feels most derivative of other Downtown Disney counter-parts. That being said the write-ups and contributions from Tux I did appreciate.
- The Electrical Water Pageant was nicely written and laid out - it just felt a little out of place to be included in this project. That to me feels like a resort-wide entertainment option rather than a Disney Bazaar specific one.
- In regards to teamwork, I think Pix did a good job as PM in the respect that they were able to understand their limits time-wise and support the progression of the project through positive reinforcement. D Hindley was the de facto PM for a while to keep production moving during some of the slower days mid-project and that should be admired. That said towards the end everyone including Tux, Pix, and mickeyfan stepped up to do their parts to make this project happen!
- And a brief note on presentation format - slides were good, though I think it's a bit too spread out. There's no need for it to be on 76 slide
- Overall, I think it complements the park and purpose of the resort very well, only thing that I would say is I don't know how much emphasis will be placed on teamwork over product, because you all have a great concept and rallied well in these last few days.

Team Iger
- Where Eisner's strength is their substance and cohesion with Mumbai Disneyland - this team's united effort was the strength for me. And what I mean by that is from the top down, Disney Dad to Puffs, Tiki, and Nate - regardless of the circumstances and lags in communication, there was always a running tally of of a checklist, and that's thanks to DDad as PM.
- I think you guys had a great idea to funnel in the Bollywood theme. You also had an idea for the World Showcase theme, so rather than pick one you seem to have combined them together to which the end result managed to be more like a World Showcase Fantasyland. - Given the Small World entrance to Mumbai Disneyland, the international Main Street, and an elaborate Fantasyland with an Aladdin E-Ticket, a lot of this to me feels like it would fit better in the park itself than as a separate mall.
- That withstanding - there is a lot of positives to this project. The Friend Like Me show was brilliantly written - a great stepping stone from elaborate dining like Be Our Guest.
- The water-park tag on was a cool twist, that would be something special to bookend this mall.
- I appreciate the effort that went into the custom artwork especially from Puffs and DDad. Puffs' restaurants continue to get better and better with menus and logos. Some were a bit hard to read, but to me the effort is what counts. And DDad keeps improving on the map making - it's awesome to see and I really like the attention to detail with the Mumbai Station, Hotels, etc.
- Both Egypt and Greece has some nice dining options as well. I do appreciate how you all spread things apart and had something of each to do in each district - I see the pros/cons to both approaches as the other team chose to delineate districts by need.
- I do really like the Labours of Hercules 12 hole mini-golf course - I can see that being a huge hit will all ages.
- Overall, while I have mentioned my likes and concerns I will say I admire this team's perseverance. You should be proud that you continue to try new things which is what this game is all about.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Congrats to both teams for getting in the projects under these world-altering events - I really commend y'all for that.

Last edited:

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes

The teams succeeded in their mission and created a wonderful shopping district for Mumbai Disneyland! This Resort will serve as a beacon of creativity and might just be strong enough to stop Waldo and his forces! But the season isn't over yet, and neither is the fight!

source.gif

giphy.gif

DishonestNewAustraliancurlew-size_restricted.gif

Team Iger in the Disney Adventure and Team Eisner in the Disney Adventure are both docked at the Fortress of Fate while quarantined at Tokyo DisneySea where they plan to continue designing Mumbai Disneyland from a distance. Our ships are currently traveling at a speed of 0 knots and should be arriving shortly.

giphy.gif

Until then, sit back and enjoy some world class dining while you wait for the reviews!

Last edited:

pix

Team Tomorrow in the Disney Adventure and Team Yesterday in the Disney Adventure are both quarantined at the Fortress of Fate in Tokyo DisneySea where they plan to continue working on Mumbai Disneyland. Our ships are currently traveling at a speed of 0 knots and should be arriving shortly.

*noises of confusion* Teams Tomorrow and Yesterday? Quarantined at the Fortress of Fate but on a boat? The same boat? In Tokyo? But working on Mumbai? Travelling at 0 speed???
CONFUSION

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
*noises of confusion* Teams Tomorrow and Yesterday? Quarantined at the Fortress of Fate but on a boat? The same boat? In Tokyo? But working on Mumbai? Travelling at 0 speed???
CONFUSION
The Fortress is our base of operations while designing Mumbai! The boats are docked at the Fortress!
15.png

The team names I just forgot to change. Gonna go edit that

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Hate to break up the jokes, but I've had some unexpected family stuff come up. Real "fun" things happening at 1:30 in the morning. Everyone is safe, but I won't be online much the next few days. Before all this happened, I had already read the projects and passed along my thoughts on what team should win and eliminations. I will try to get reviews up as soon as possible, but they might be shorter than usual. The other hosts won't wait for my full reviews to keep the game moving though since I've already told them my votes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In case I'm not able to log back on, here's some really short reviews

pi reviews.png

Short logo for short reviews

team-eisner-logo-png.461565
  • I adore the concept and I adore the art!​
  • @D Hindley was a superstar this round (Which is never surprising)​
  • D did a great job making it feel incredibly authentic to Indian culture and incredibly realistic. So many amazing aspects of this project came from D!​
  • @gam3rprincess did a good job making it feel authentically like a Disney Springs shopping district. Many of their additions were, for lack of a better term, underwhelming in a good way. They felt like all the very real shops that you need in a Springs district.​
  • @Tux did an incredible job on Disney Quest, but it might not work as a centerpiece for the entertainment district in context. The park already has a large, heavily themed arcade. The Void is already a modern VR experience. The escape rooms are already an awesome new interactive game. A new Disney Quest just feels repetitive and outdated. Maybe a heavily changed experience would've worked better or incorporating the Void and escape rooms in it, but this just sounds like a new Disney Quest. Yet it is the largest part of the entertainment description, so it is the defacto centerpiece.​
  • @mickeyfan5534 created a truly incredible nighttime water parade. Like, I mean it when I say I love it. I just don't see how it connects to the shopping district theme? It felt like it was made in a vaccuum not connected to the current project.​
  • Overall, a truly great project. But some key elements don't blend in as well.​
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
iger-png.461566
  • The teamwork here was great! Everyone truly worked together and communicated! This project could have easily become a bunch of unrelated feeling mini-projects with how different the themes of each district is, yet your team unity made it all come together!​
  • @Disney Dad 3000 did a fantastic job as leader keeping everything organized! Plus some great and very clear map work. And just all around solid.​
  • @TheOriginalTiki did great work! Following his strategy from early in the season of taking some key aspects of the project and focusing in on those. Making a few great restaurants!​
  • @NateD1226 did a great job on the Greek section. I really loved the min-golf course! It was a small part of the project overall, but probably a personal stand out.​
  • @Puffs did great art as always! I truly admire how much art you do for each stanza! My biggest advice would be to challenge yourself with writing. More detail, longer passages. Your writings tend to be very simple and to the point, but sometimes a bit more is needed.​
  • Overall, there isn't much I can point to as really being "wrong" here. But it doesn't quite feel like a cohesive shopping center though. It feels more like a theme park without rides than it does a shopping center. Perhaps expanding one district into the whole them would have worked better? Or maybe if there was a stronger connection between the different districts. Some are more fantasy, fictional places, other are real life locales. There just isn't a strong overall theme.​

Essentially, both projects were great. I honestly am torn about which team should win.
Eisner has a stronger premise and more thematic ties, but it has some aspects that just don't fully come together.
Iger had the weaker and less cohesive premise, but was more consistent in terms of individual aspects.

Good luck to everyone. Stay safe.​

Outbound

_Setp00q8hgky8VQXB-XwG5_pRkM1693ZzS3QbnIaXiKYyR5bEVTKgYvBxpb-KCues18LJtb6MPT3j5WdvCoH9GMTKcsfTJNBTv2Ttof1HkPrq9c7hqKOxjKRHMxYXUnOnYCOI57

I’d like to congratulate everyone on their dedication to their respective projects. Both teams called vacation days, and both were to uncontrollable events (is it just me or is the world getting crazier out there) so too see everyone so intent on completing their projects is fantastic.

yO1nBsNI1aMYwK8qYBl6mom9B2JXntErlwKUZHikDU9w2M-1jkRzJgvGFCcph9G__Z9Z4UetC68afihJi1CaoGQ-XA3_ZZNNgeZvYciHvcWB69q-GW0k1YV9Ja8NbkzFSIww1nBM

DISNEY BAZAR
The team with @D Hindley will always have an advantage in Mumbai from that great knowledge of Indian culture. Bringing in the good Indian history while taking out anything problematic. The concept of walking through an Indian Bazar through the ages is a great one, and the always amazing artwork by Doug sells it.

Second, @gam3princess did a great job as your project manager, giving the team daily check-ins to keep things on track.

Third, @Tux as always played an integral part in both the brainstorming and execution. The entertainment in DisneySprings is always the hardest to nail because you run the risk of going off the deep end and turning it into a theme park. I agree with Pi DisneySprings is sorta redundant with the Void and a park within walking distance. But the rest of the entertainment is really good! Loved the focus on Indian festivals.

Last, @mickeyfan5534 continues to be the parade king from Royale with the Electrical Water Pagent. I imagine this would be one of Disney Bazar’s greatest draws.

The four of you tie your respective work together in a unifying presentation. Google Sites makes it feel less like four people and more like one team.

Now let’s talk about some of the nitpicks, because not every project is perfect, and for the finale, we will have to widdle down a few players. The first is Hoth Depot, now this might sound silly (and I’m not eliminating for of this one lol) but why is the snowy planet in Mumbai’s shopping district, one of the warmest Disneylands to date? Why not Tatooine or Maz’s Castle?

The second nitpick is, while @mickeyfan5534 did a really good job with the Electrical Water Pagent, it doesn’t fit with the rest of the Bazar. The Bazar has an excellent, culturally relevant mission statement, but I don’t feel like you play it up enough.

My favorite area is the dining area. It feels authentically Indian. I also really liked how the shopping area balances out that authentic theming with your standard western shops, which is bound to happen in any shopping district. Overall, this is a really good project, and I hope everyone involved had as much fun making it as I did reviewing it.

TB35Uv_4ZhdelfkfnYhMohddvrAnBzqJkCX_vy2y8G2kapGBqUKyaJZRIJevVRYFUoWwY-SojVTgDbzwzJERNE34ujvitLDVpQAsFVT_JIIyRxkgztxpc0Wl8cYX2h9XKertdU0m

FANTASY BAZAR
@Disney Dad 3000 did an excellent job as a project manager, and he was supported by the whole team. This is a fine example of teambuilding. I like the focus on multiple countries/themes: as you said, it gives the Bazar a more unique feeling than most mega-malls in Mumbai. It doesn’t hold the same impact as Team Esiner’s, but it can stand on its own. Only issue may be the name, because it’s less a “fantasy” (ie: princesses), and more “international fantasy” (ie: various fantastical ports of call) theme. But I can’t think of any good alternative name for it.

@TheOriginalTiki , I go write something up for you, check on Pi’s post to make sure I haven’t missed anything, and we’ve written more or less the same thing! But you really do excel by focusing on a few key things within a bigger whole. Friend Like Me is a great example: it takes full advantage of your theme (the bigger whole) but does something very unique with it.

@NateD1226 did a great job with Greece. With everyone else spread across the other three, soloing it ran the risk of making Greece feel out of place with the rest of the Bazar. But this is far from the case! PS: Love the Hercules Golf Course!

Last, @Puffs continues as ever with the artwork + restaurant combos. You’ve progressed a lot this season, you should be very proud.

One of my favorite parts of this project was the maps. Including a map for every district is a huge plus for cohesion. It feels like you planned everything out, and didn’t just “create four districts, add stuff for the four districts”. And you remembered to include some parking lots! Although Mumbai already has parking, Disney typically divides the lots for those going to the parks and those on one-day visits to the mall.

The Seven Seas Lagoon ties in with Tortuga really well. I was concerned when this first popped up, but within the larger context of the project, it’s a smart tie-in that doesn’t detract from anything. And it can be used for future seasons!

Not every project is perfect. I think the greatest problem here is the theme, which Pi already mentioned. I wouldn't describe it as a theme park. The closest comparison I can make is the Las Vegas Strip. A bunch of separate, bold themes put closely together. It’s very disunited in planning. But the execution is more or less flawless. You take full advantage of your areas with your individual areas, so it’s hard to say which option (strong planning, medium execution for Esiner; medium planning, strong execution for Iger) will win.​

Outbound

Stanza 12 Results.png

This was one of the closest rounds. After much deliberation, The Agents have come to a decision.

Team Iger

Team Iger had fantastic teamwork and great execution of a solid, original idea. The only reason they lost was because their opponent had an idea perfectly suited to Mumbai.

Team Eisner

Although disunited in a few areas, for the most part, Team Eisner was a unified and great execution of a fantastic idea. This project isn't made in Mumbai, it's made for Mumbai.

Now, for the part we didn't enjoy about today, the eliminations...

Outbound

THE SENSATIONAL SIX
1586305048337.png

Six of the Final Eight will advance to the penultimate round. Stanza 13 is an individual round, unlike all before it, but you are still encouraged to communicate with the bonds you have made over the season.

The six were chosen primarily for their contributions in Stanza 12, with other rounds are tie-breakers. This is the part we don't enjoy: anyone who didn't make this cut are still great Imagineers, and should be proud of coming this far. So, in no particular order, those advancing are:

@D Hindley

I said it was in no particular order!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom